Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,840 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

smurgen wrote: »
    He can stay no problem but Fine Gael can never open their mouth about corruption or crime again. Also Lieo might have to say goodbye to cushy board roles. I would fancy having a leaker of commercially sensitive contracts on a board.

You're not wrong, but you're putting too much faith in the memory of not just the Irish electorate, but FG's hangers-on

We've already seen with things like Golfgate and on many other occasions that it's a very cosy club at the top where everyone knows each other, and are regularly appointed to each other's boards, charities, or lobbyist roles and do very well out of it.

The reason that support for Leo has been so cautiously positive is because they're both wary of what else might come out, and also because they know that next time it could well be them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I really can not wait to see him squirm his way through excuses later today, and then to watch him sit there while he gets ripped into afterwards.

You just now more contradicting information is going to come out within minutes of his speech ending too. This has a long and entertaining way to run yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Looking forward to the shouting match now myself, it should be a laugh.

I hope someone is coordinating the opposition q's at least. I mean what is the actual outrage? Who is going to ask that one?

I was thinking they should run a raffle to see what expletive gets used the most.

I reckon

1) Disgrace ( a wholly )
    2) Wholly unacceptable
    3) Criminal act
    4) Gardaí ( snigger and guff )

There is a bonus point for the first member of the opposition to tell him he has not just let his country down, his party down, his coalition down ... but he has let himself down.
    Bonus is forfeited if he mentions any in the plea bargain

President Trump is going to save his bacon anyway, the irony.

As the great Alec Baldwin once said

" if you are shooting at the devil, you best not miss"

Scandals are when government buildings get broken into after midnight by the NSU. Or when a TD commits perjury or when they get caught with their pants down with a smorgasbord of sex workers, or when they rip the state off with backhanders.....

Handing around unsigned contracts that everyone knows the contents of don't count. I doubt half the opposition had even heard of the deal ( or the Village magazine ) before Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Anybody negotiating anything with this government will have to insert a "don't show Leo" clause in the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Whelo79 wrote: »
    You just now more contradicting information is going to come out within minutes of his speech ending too. This has a long and entertaining way to run yet.

I don't know.....I think MM's backing yesterday along with SC on Claire Byrne last night is pretty strong. I would be surprised if either of them went ahead with that public display of support if there was more to come out.

I think LVs credibility is shot. Grass route FFers may not be happy at the moment, but MM now has LV and FG on a leash. MM's in a very strong position as long the government holds up.

I'd imagine the opposition are quite happy. LV/FG very badly damaged. No chance of an election so no need to worry about leading the country while dealing with Covid, healthcare, housing, economy and Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I think it's being lost on Leo's defenders that they now have a lame duck as a leader who has zero credibility.
    Leo the leak is a tag he's not going to shake, he's completely untrustworthy . Unlikely this government will last till rotation of Taoiseach in 18 months time. A heave against Leo and Simon installed for the next GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I think it's being lost on Leo's defenders that they now have a lame duck as a leader who has zero credibility.
    Leo the leak is a tag he's not going to shake, he's completely untrustworthy . Unlikely this government will last till rotation of Taoiseach in 18 months time. A heave against Leo and Simon installed for the next GE.

Thats going to be very interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Spin it anyway you want, will go down as the worst leader in FG ever. Some will defend him here until he goes and then say it was correct to get rid. Some chancers

Enda Kenny was the worst FG leader by a country mile. He achieved nothing.

I think Leo will survive this and the government will stay intact. But his reputation has taken a battering.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I think LVs credibility is shot. Grass route FFers may not be happy at the moment, but MM now has LV and FG on a leash. MM's in a very strong position as long the government holds up.

MM is hated by most of the FF grassroots.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Outside of the Dail and a the permanently outraged on Twitter and boards, who cares about these issues?

I mean, the same set of outraged posters were telling me two weeks ago that Roderic was a dead duck over some perceived non-issue with Mother and Baby homes. Now who is talking about it?

Covid-19 is affecting everyone's mental health, but it seems the permanently outraged are being affected more than the norm.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    I mean, the same set of outraged posters were telling me two weeks ago that Roderic was a dead duck over some perceived non-issue with Mother and Baby homes. Now who is talking about it?

Ehm the government completely backtracked on that while making themselves look very foolish and shifty. Hardly a result for FFGG?

You seem to care ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Outside of the Dail and a the permanently outraged on Twitter and boards, who cares about these issues?

Covid-19 is affecting everyone's mental health, but it seems the permanently outraged are being affected more than the norm.

Sweep under carpet.

FGs leader is corrupt and has been caught out. You cannot defend him, well you can try but it won't just go away.

You should be going with your party and Catherine here and looking answers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Stepping out from FG HQ with a spring in your step this morning Blanch. Roderic and his reversal would be still in the news only for this latest faux pas from Government. Between the three parties now you're all falling over each other in exhibiting crass judgement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

People seem to be overlooking the fact that there's a potential ten year jail term for what he did and there is more damning detail of his leaking to come.

How much of it can the party turn a blind eye to and gladhand about?

This time it's "Yes I should have gone through the official channels, but I did it in the best interest of the country".

Next time it will be "OK I know yokes are illegal, but everyone has taken class A's at one point or another", might even make him more popular in the eyes of many.

Will "Alright I shot a kitten up against an ATM, but the screen said to feed it a stray cat" be the last straw or will that be a bold statement about animal abandonment and pest control?

s1ippy wrote: »
    People seem to be overlooking the fact that there's a potential ten year jail term for what he did and there is more damning detail of his leaking to come.

This time it's "Yes I should have gone through the official channels, but I did it in the best interest of the country".

Next time it will be "OK I know yokes are illegal, but everyone has taken class A's at one point or another", might even make him more popular in the eyes of many.

Will "Alright I shot a kitten up against an ATM, but the screen said to feed it a stray cat" be the last straw or will that be a bold statement about animal abandonment and pest control?

How so? He did nothing illegal. No law was broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Handing around unsigned contracts that everyone knows the contents of don't count. I doubt half the opposition had even heard of the deal ( or the Village magazine ) before Saturday morning.

funny you say this cos unless i'm mistaken Stephen donnelly was opposition spokeman on health at the time and is on the Dail record saying that they didn't see the document nor it's fine details till the debate on 16th April

Leo had sent his mate the doc prior to this - prior to the other TDs and spokespersons of health of the other parties elected by us to represent us , the people

If you think that is ok , then you are foolish

https://www.thejournal.ie/leo-varadkar-gp-contract-nagp-scandal-5250914-Oct2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

s1ippy wrote: »

A potential ten-year jail term?

On what planet?

Have you noticed that the only media outlet that suggested a possible crime was the Village. None of the mainstream media were stupid enough to take it up. Even then, I don't think the Village mentioned ten years.

Some people are getting over-excited.

10 year jail term :P

Never knew Leo was a raver either:D

Shooting kittens ;)

Non-story, even the bots know it now.

A potential ten-year jail term?

On what planet?

Have you noticed that the only media outlet that suggested a possible crime was the Village. None of the mainstream media were stupid enough to take it up. Even then, I don't think the Village mentioned ten years.

Some people are getting over-excited.

Leo's corrupt and the fan boys don't care.

For someone who voted Green i admire you stance on defend the liar.

Is it now acceptable for all TDs to send documents not for circulation to their mates?

A simple yes or no will do

A GP texted Pat Kenny to say that the document was of no consequence. Soooo. What’s the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Your defense of FG whilst being a Green supporter is always a source of amusement.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

I'm getting great mileage out of this Blanch / IAMAMORON 'thank post' circle jerk

paw patrol wrote: »
    funny you say this cos unless i'm mistaken Stephen donnelly was opposition spokeman on health at the time and is on the Dail record saying that they didn't see the document nor it's fine details till the debate on 16th April

Leo had sent his mate the doc prior to this - prior to the other TDs and spokespersons of health of the other parties elected by us to represent us , the people

If you think that is ok , then you are foolish

https://www.thejournal.ie/leo-varadkar-gp-contract-nagp-scandal-5250914-Oct2020/

Like Stephen Donnelly is a political icon all of a sudden?

The same posters whinging about his appointment a few months ago....

It gets patronising after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

A GP texted Pat Kenny to say that the document was of no consequence. Soooo. What’s the problem?

Well that's it now so, there you have it, a text into Newstalk from someone who said they are a GP claimed the leaked document was of no significance. Case closed.

Someone get Leo on the blower there and tell him to take the afternoon off, case closed now so it is.

I'm getting great mileage out of this Blanch / IAMAMORON 'thank post' circle jerk

Same person

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Leo's corrupt and the fan boys don't care.

For someone who voted Green i admire you stance on defend the liar.

Is it now acceptable for all TDs to send documents not for circulation to their mates?

A simple yes or no will do

They can't answer.i asked at the beginning of this before Leo owned up if it was true would it be acceptable to them. No answer. It speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭spakman

When I saw Paddy Cosgrove was involved in pushing this story, that made up my mind. Ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

spakman wrote: »
    When I saw Paddy Cosgrove was involved in pushing this story, that made up my mind. Ignore.

People having an opinion on the action of another makes up your mind on the other person's action?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I can see this government lasting the 5 years but I don't see Michael Martin and Leo Varadkar lasting the 5 years. Michael will step down as leader once his time as Taoiseach is over. As for Leo I'd say a deal has been struck in those back channels that he so loves that he will stay on until the summer and then will step down as FG leader to allow Simon take the rains and give him over a year as leader before it is FG turn as Taoiseach and that will lead them nicely into the next election where Leo will be a distant memory.

• Advertisement

You also know the show is up when all the bots start going all Rumplestillskin with the posts.

Non story.

Thanks god these guys didn't win the election, can you imagine how phucked the country would be at this point?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement