Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Blanch walks into another haymaker. :)
    He's punch drunk at this stage.

Just like Leo will be once The Village hear the bell for round 2.
    Floppybits wrote: »
    Ah poor Johnnyflash is having a hard time at the moment with the pressure his hero Leo is under and is just lashing out. I am sure he will be firing out insults soon.

Mod

Quit it with the comments on posters. Attack posts, not posters. Last warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

McMurphy wrote: »
    Will be have to step down temporarily?

I mean, surely if there's a Garda investigation into his actions, you can't have him remain in a position where he can interfere with the investigations proceedings?

Either way his credibility is shot. He's just another dodgy politician with colourful socks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭golfball37

The whole legality thing is a red herring. It was immoral for the highest office holder in the land to do what he did. End of.

Poor judgment is just a nice way of saying completely inappropriate and wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Or, you get Leo to admit he did it first and then you go to the Gardai, adding that to the veracity of your complaint.
    His statement in the Dail will be protected by Dail privilege and inadmissible in court. There's a reason why they make these statements in the Dail and not in an interview.

Given the atrocious quality of the writing in the Village, I might be veering towards scenario #2 where this guy is a bit stupid and has accidentally hamstrung himself by publishing first and going to the Gardai after.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

golfball37 wrote: »
    The whole legality thing is a red herring. It was immoral for the highest office holder in the land to do what he did. End of.

Poor judgment is just a nice way of saying completely inappropriate and wrong.

Not End of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Holy Mary

Embarrassing at this stage tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

seamus wrote: »
    His statement in the Dail will be protected by Dail privilege and inadmissible in court. There's a reason why they make these statements in the Dail and not in an interview.

Given the atrocious quality of the writing in the Village, I might be veering towards scenario #2 where this guy is a bit stupid and has accidentally hamstrung himself by publishing first and going to the Gardai after.

He's already admitted what he did.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,704 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Leo's statement that he did it - released the document and that it was wrong was released as a press statement not as a statement in the Dáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Holy Mary wrote: »
    Embarrassing at this stage tbh.
    He is. He should've came out first with the truth instead of trying to take people for fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭golfball37

Not End of.

We obviously differ on what’s acceptable behavior so. Thin line between that and making SF acceptable looking which is now Leo’s legacy. Still defend him by all means, the rest of us will suffer for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Leo's statement that he did it - released the document and that it was wrong was released as a press statement not as a statement in the Dáil.
    Sure. But that information was already out. Someone confirming rock-solid evidence, doesn't strengthen any case as much as you'd think. If he had denied it, it would take very little evidence to prove that denial false. Admitting that he did it, doesn't make it "more illegal".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

There's been a post in this thread every two minutes since the story broke. But Joe public have definitely forgotten all about it and it's blown over.

s1ippy wrote: »
    There's been a post in this thread every two minutes since the story broke. But Joe public have definitely forgotten all about it and it's blown over.
    And how is that analysis measured?

Sure. But that information was already out. Someone confirming rock-solid evidence, doesn't strengthen any case as much as you'd think. If he had denied it, it would take very little evidence to prove that denial false. Admitting that he did it, doesn't make it "more illegal".

They were allegations at that stage.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 1 5511779933

At least there's comfort in knowing our constabulary will not allow bias or undue influence get in the way of investigating establishment jiggery pokery. I imagine the the whistle-blower is a very careful driver these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Heather Humphreys on RTE1 now also going with the "Leo didn't gain financially nor personally" line.

They've all been well versed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Fann Linn wrote: »
    And how is that analysis measured?
    72 hours; 4,320 minutes, 2000+ posts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Heather Humphreys on RTE1 now also going with the "Leo didn't gain financially nor personally" line.

And a prime example of how morally corrupt every Irish politician is. They do not know right from wrong.

If someone threw a rock at Heather's car and damaged it, they wouldn't gain anything financially or personally either but it wouldn't change the fact it was a criminal offence.

s1ippy wrote: »
    72 hours; 4,320 minutes, 2000+ posts
    Grand, thanks. And now your assertion that the public have moved on, which was in fact what I was on about initially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Senior Counsel’s opinion, for Village, affirms being a Minister does not exclude you from the obligations of the Official Secret Act

If this turns out to be true it will likely impact on Helen McEntee who defended him yesterday.

https://twitter.com/VillageMagIRE/status/1323612184623091712?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Grand, thanks. And now your assertion that the public have moved on, which was in fact what I was on about initially.

I think you missed the irony. I read it as being a :pac: comment tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,704 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Who said it did?

And what 'information' was already out? The Tanaiste has admitted he did the wrong thing. That wasn't 'out there' until he released the press statement.

Now we are going to see if there is a criminal case to answer here. To be fair, you don't know that, however much you think you do and neither do I.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

The Village's interpretation of the Act is accurate.

4.—(1) A person shall not communicate any official information to any other person unless he is duly authorised to do so or does so in the course of and in accordance with his duties as the holder of a public office or when it is his duty in the interest of the State to communicate it.

The definition of public office under the act excludes members of the Oireachtas but it certainly doesn't exclude them from liability under 4(1), in fact it precludes them from relying on the exception available to public office holders acting in accordance with their duties. For Leo to get off the hook here I think he will need to prove it was 'in his duty in the interest of the state' to release the document.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I presume a motion of no confidence will be placed at some stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Get Real

Agree. Plus, we don't know he didn't gain personally. Did he avoid Nagp turning on him/FG publicly perhaps? Or did it possibly influence Matt campaigning for him in the last election?

Also, she didn't address the fact that it was possible for Matt to personally and financially gain.

Plus, excellent point by Rows Grower, a few posts above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

The Village's interpretation on the Act is accurate.

4.—(1) A person shall not communicate any official information to any other person unless he is duly authorised to do so or does so in the course of and in accordance with his duties as the holder of a public office or when it is his duty in the interest of the State to communicate it.

The definition of public office under the act excludes members of the Oireachtas but it certainly doesn't exclude them from liability under 4(1), in fact it precludes them from relying on the exception available to public office holders acting in accordance with their duties. For Leo to get off the hook here I think he will need to prove it was 'in his duty in the interest of the state' to release the document.

Chay Bowes just posted.

https://twitter.com/BowesChay/status/1323618397565947905?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

The Village's interpretation on the Act is accurate.

And i see The Village have an opinion from Senior Counsel to that effect.

I didn't read Leo's statement but the only article I read going into any detail on the legal position was in the Irish Times and it looks like it's completely inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

If someone threw a rock at Heather's car and damaged it, they wouldn't gain anything financially or personally either but it wouldn't change the fact it was a criminal offence.

Heather has a tenuous grasp on reality the best of times, asking her for a comment is Forrest Gump territory

• Advertisement

He is. He should've came out first with the truth instead of trying to take people for fools.

I think he's already played his "coming out" card:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement