Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

And with that, there goes Varadkar's initial defence against any possible breach of the Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

rusty cole wrote: »
    I think he's already played his "coming out" card:D
    You are coming across as a little obsessed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I presume a motion of no confidence will be placed at some stage?

He'll be made step aside.

It's the small things that get his type in the end. Arrogance will only get you so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Holy Mary

And i see The Village have an opinion from Senior Counsel to that effect.

Dear God, really getting desperate at the 11th hour!
    The story has moved on.
    At 4PM Cometh the hour, cometh the man.
    I know who my money is on!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Maybe they'll hide behind AG advice like the tried to with the sealing of the mother and child homes inquiry :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

I didn't read Leo's statement but the only article I read going into any detail on the legal position was in the Irish Times and it looks like it's completely inaccurate.

That shouldn't surprise you.

They deliberately posted inaccurate info in relation to the M+B Homes and RepealTheSeal.

I thought Rte were bad but the Irish Times have surpassed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

rusty cole wrote: »
    I think he's already played his "coming out" card:D

Jesus lad, your gay obsession is still ongoing from yesterday?

Holy Mary wrote: »

The story has moved on.

he's been hiding all weekend and sent all and sundry out to buy time and feel out the topography..Look fair play if he swats this away as easy as you think but why he took a whole weekend to get the wig and pen out is beyond me, even the leader of the country gave his offerings first.. reminds of when Tony had the feds and Corrado himself convinced he was the real head of the Soprano family!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Holy Mary wrote: »

The story has moved on.

Don't mind me, I just want to make this easier to find. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

He needs to sack his solicitor for starters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

This was on the village twitter feed.

He has a fair few questions to answer but it's clear that the government doesn't want to be pulled down with him.

Will be interesting later on.

531610.jpeg

smurgen wrote: »
    Maybe they'll hide behind AG advice like the tried to with the sealing of the mother and child homes inquiry :D

I thought Helen McEntee as Minister for Justice took a big risk defending him yesterday.

Given the incompetence shown in not consulting with the AG during the M+B Homes Bill and instead taking the department's opinion as gospel she could be in trouble later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

This reminds me a bit of when people were getting outrage boners when Drew Harris hit the ramp at Garda HQ. Another national scandal according to some folk - especially in the outrage engine rooms of Twitter.

I think this time there are a lot of stained keyboards from lads being too quick off the mark on this one and not being able to control themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

blanch152 wrote: »
    I think this time there are a lot of stained keyboards from lads being too quick off the mark on this one and not being able to control themselves.

Noticed that myself. Sean Fleming FF stating that this happened during the last govt. Beginning the roll back.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

No one can day I’m defending Varadker, but just remember there are always two sides to an argument. If there is a history etc going one way, then it makes it more powerful, etc.
    So the village interpretation could still be wrong. It will need to be tested up to the Supreme Court. I’m not looking to see if it has been done before, but will assume not.
    Still think Varadker needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

There's something a little bit off about how the village are handling this. Typically journalist will get the facts out there and see where the chips fall but these guys seem to be openly antagonistic and going for a scalp.

I've never heard of a journalist submitting a criminal complaint against the subject of an article they have written for example?? Seems odd

s1ippy wrote: »
    There's been a post in this thread every two minutes since the story broke. But Joe public have definitely forgotten all about it and it's blown over.

I’m very, very bored today so I just checked the post count up until just after your above quote.

79 different posters with 1 post
    35 with 2 posts
    24 with 3 posts
    16 with 4 posts
    15 with 5 posts
    15 with 6 posts
    11 with 7 posts
    6 with 8 posts
    4 with 9 posts
    2 with 10 posts
    7 with 11 posts
    5 with 12 posts
    2 with 13 posts
    2 with 14 posts
    2 with 15 posts
    5 with 16 posts
    2 with 17 posts
    2 with 18 posts
    2 with 19 posts
    3 with 22 posts
    1 with 23 posts
    5 with 24 posts
    1 with 27 posts
    1 with 28 posts
    2 with 29 posts
    1 with 33 posts
    1 with 34 posts
    1 with 38 posts
    1 with 42 posts
    1 with 53 posts
    1 with 56 posts
    1 with 62 posts
    1 with 64 posts
    1 with 65 posts
    1 with 67 posts
    1 with 68 posts
    1 with 101 posts

It’s the same posters keeping the thread going rather than loads of different posters.

Told ya I was bored :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

blanch152 wrote: »

Not sure about this. Politicians in other countries have resigned for much less.

Leaking information, using a platform that is not an official platform for transference, there are at least two bad decisions.

In any job, once you leak information it is a sackable offence.

I personally find the lack of moral judgement here offensive.

To be caught in the open doing this, then others backing the guy, shows how morally corrupt many people in Irish government are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

NSAman wrote: »
    Not sure about this. Politicians in other countries have resigned for much less.

Leaking information, using a platform that is not an official platform for transference, there are at least two bad decisions.

In any job, once you leak information it is a sackable offence.

I personally find the lack of moral judgement here offensive.

To be caught in the open doing this, then others backing the guy, shows how morally corrupt many people in Irish government are.

The way some people are brushing it off shows why we have morally corrupt politicians. Some people don't care and actively encourage it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Chay Bowes isn't the journalist, he's the guy that went to The Village with the story. So I guess he's in as good a position as any to make a complaint to the Gardaí.

But yeah, The Village articles read like angry blog posts.

source.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,704 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

There's something a little bit off about how the village are handling this. Typically journalist will get the facts out there and see where the chips fall but these guys seem to be openly antagonistic and going for a scalp.

I've never heard of a journalist submitting a criminal complaint against the subject of an article they have written for example?? Seems odd

Bowes is not a journalist.

Vincent Browne's follow-on tweet yesterday was interesting, that leaks can be in the public interest is an interesting counterpoint to the Village's story imo. Seems to be at odds with the Village's approach to things.

https://twitter.com/vincentbrowne/status/1323337744949649409?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 WicklaWolf

When is his statement and can it be watched live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

WicklaWolf wrote: »

You can watch it live on your phone on the oireachtas TV app

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Vincent Browne's follow-on tweet yesterday was interesting, that leaks can be in the public interest is an interesting counterpoint to the Village's story imo. Seems to be at odds with the Village's approach to things.

https://twitter.com/vincentbrowne/status/1323337744949649409?s=20

And the minister should have been named or had the moral compass to stand by his decision to release that information if it was “in the public interest”. When did right and wrong go out the window in Irish life?

I’m very, very bored today so I just checked the post count up until just after your above quote.

79 different posters with 1 post
    35 with 2 posts
    24 with 3 posts
    16 with 4 posts
    15 with 5 posts
    15 with 6 posts
    11 with 7 posts
    6 with 8 posts
    4 with 9 posts
    2 with 10 posts
    7 with 11 posts
    5 with 12 posts
    2 with 13 posts
    2 with 14 posts
    2 with 15 posts
    5 with 16 posts
    2 with 17 posts
    2 with 18 posts
    2 with 19 posts
    3 with 22 posts
    1 with 23 posts
    5 with 24 posts
    1 with 27 posts
    1 with 28 posts
    2 with 29 posts
    1 with 33 posts
    1 with 34 posts
    1 with 38 posts
    1 with 42 posts
    1 with 53 posts
    1 with 56 posts
    1 with 62 posts
    1 with 64 posts
    1 with 65 posts
    1 with 67 posts
    1 with 68 posts
    1 with 101 posts

It’s the same posters keeping the thread going rather than loads of different posters.

Told ya I was bored :D

Out of curiosity, how did you do that?

interesting stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 WicklaWolf

Thank you - I will be watching.

4.10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 68,704 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Michael Martin taking questions on it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Bowes isn't the journalist. He is the whistleblower. He has no influence over how the Village choses to handle the information he gave them. That is an editorial decision.

If you had read the article you are criticising you would have seen that Micheal Smith is the journalist and he clearly identifies Bowes as the source of the information.
    Chay Bowes has spent the last two decades as an uneasy insider in Irish healthcare. He’s been successful: he’s picked up HSE contracts; he’s established and managed profitable companies; he’s sold one to the state-owned VHI Healthcare. He’s also come to understand the behaviour and business practices required and rewarded in Ireland’s two-tier healthcare industry, an industry populated by a mix of public and private operators. And he’s been frustrated.
    https://villagemagazine.ie/varadkar-leaks-confidential-document/

Bowes is the person who made a complaint to the AGS

Commenting without ascertaining basic facts, or even reading the article, seems odd.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement