Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Holy Mary

Don't mind me, I just want to make this easier to find. ;-)

Who cares!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Good start by MM , he didnt get mixed up and think Leo is Tshock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Out of curiosity, how did you do that?

interesting stats.

On the full site just click on the number of posts in a thread and it brings up who posted in order of number of posts
    Bubbaclaus is number one
    The top 6 have over 60 posts each in this one and rising
    4 of the top 6 regularly support sinn Féin here
    The other 2 I've never heard of but appear to be fine gaelish
    I've 26 :D Time to bow out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

I’m very, very bored today so I just checked the post count up until just after your above quote.

79 different posters with 1 post
    35 with 2 posts
    24 with 3 posts
    16 with 4 posts
    15 with 5 posts
    15 with 6 posts
    11 with 7 posts
    6 with 8 posts
    4 with 9 posts
    2 with 10 posts
    7 with 11 posts
    5 with 12 posts
    2 with 13 posts
    2 with 14 posts
    2 with 15 posts
    5 with 16 posts
    2 with 17 posts
    2 with 18 posts
    2 with 19 posts
    3 with 22 posts
    1 with 23 posts
    5 with 24 posts
    1 with 27 posts
    1 with 28 posts
    2 with 29 posts
    1 with 33 posts
    1 with 34 posts
    1 with 38 posts
    1 with 42 posts
    1 with 53 posts
    1 with 56 posts
    1 with 62 posts
    1 with 64 posts
    1 with 65 posts
    1 with 67 posts
    1 with 68 posts
    1 with 101 posts

It’s the same posters keeping the thread going rather than loads of different posters.

Told ya I was bored :D

Greetings fellow WW’er. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,704 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Martin rattled already. Refused to answer straight questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

NSAman wrote: »
    And a prime example of how morally corrupt every Irish politician is. They do not know right from wrong.

It's not to that they don't know right from wrong, they do, the reason why they carry on as they do as they don't want to lose their spot in the trough. The fact that they get away with all the time by hiring these spin doctors and advisors who look for anyway that they can spin a story to make it seem less of an issue and as long as there are people in the country that accept this then they will carry on as normal.

Do you think when something like this occurs that they are brought into dark room and brain washed on what to say. Every single one of them have said the exact same thing.

Kelly waffling.

God question by Kelly, did Leo do this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Opposition not letting go, interesting Mehole avoided the question of criminality and was infact that question asked of the AG

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Kelly knows something more?. Very pointed question there. 'Ask him if he has done this before, or if anyone who worked for him has done this before?'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

There's something a little bit off about how the village are handling this. Typically journalist will get the facts out there and see where the chips fall but these guys seem to be openly antagonistic and going for a scalp.

I've never heard of a journalist submitting a criminal complaint against the subject of an article they have written for example?? Seems odd

Bowes profile from the Village article below.
    https://villagemagazine.ie/varadkar-leaks-confidential-document/

Bowes has spent the last two decades as an uneasy insider in Irish healthcare. He’s been successful: he’s picked up HSE contracts; he’s established and managed profitable companies; he’s sold one to the state-owned VHI Healthcare.

On finishing school in Dublin, Chay Bowes joined the army medical corps in 1988 and trained as a paramedic. In 1993 he was working as a phlebotomist, drawing patients’ blood in St James’s Hospital, where he says he began noticing a pattern of patients checking into the hospital and staying longer than was necessary. He thought they’d be better off receiving care in their homes and says the research backs this up, that both the financial and clinical benefits of home treatment are well established and that up to 30 percent of patients would be better served this way.

He approached Gerry McElvaney, a professor in the Royal College of Surgeons who had previously worked in the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, and the pair began work on Tara Healthcare, a company they founded together in 2004. By 2007 the HSE had contracted Tara Healthcare to provide Hospital in the Home, a programme that moved patient care away from hospitals and into households, with an annual budget of almost €6.4 million. It was a commercial success, but the HSE decided against renewing the contract as a cost-cutting measure. VHI stepped in and bought the company, making Bowes the CEO of the newly formed VHI Hospital@home.

Bowes reluctantly left the company in 2011 and spent six years pursuing other interests. It was in 2017 he returned to healthcare and founded Community Hospital Ireland (CHI) with fellow entrepreneur Neil Pope. Like Tara Healthcare, CHI would focus on providing healthcare in patients’ homes and reinvest any profits into chronic illness prevention and treatment. In its early stages CHI seemed to enjoy strong institutional support both within the state and from clinical leaders.

The early signs for CHI were positive, but Bowes knew that for it to be a success, he needed partners. Particularly crucial would be the support of Ireland’s GP community, without which, Bowes thought, CHI would fail. Maitiú Ó Tuathail was the man Bowes thought could deliver this support. Ó Tuathail, then 29 years old and from Galway Gaeltacht Leitirmóir, was president of the NAGP, an upstart GP union competing with the longer established and more influential Irish Medical Organisation (IMO).

Bowes wanted Ó Tuathail to get the NAGP behind CHI. It was during their negotiations and subsequent friendship that Ó Tuathail would show Bowes what it means to really be on the inside

Maitiú Ó Tuathail wrote to Chay Bowes on WhatsApp, asking if Vanguard, a private healthcare company Bowes was associated with at the time, would consider opening direct provision centres. He included a moneybag emoji, hinting at the financial rewards in opening such a facility.

Kelly knows something more?. Very pointed question there. 'Ask him if he has done this before, or if anyone who worked for him has done this before?'

Yes, I was thinking the same thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 WicklaWolf

Martin rattled already. Refused to answer straight questions.

Yes hard to watch actually. It doesn't suit him defending Leo like this.

Bowes profile from the Village article below.

Bowes has spent the last two decades as an uneasy insider in Irish healthcare. He’s been successful: he’s picked up HSE contracts; he’s established and managed profitable companies; he’s sold one to the state-owned VHI Healthcare.

On finishing school in Dublin, Chay Bowes joined the army medical corps in 1988 and trained as a paramedic. In 1993 he was working as a phlebotomist, drawing patients’ blood in St James’s Hospital, where he says he began noticing a pattern of patients checking into the hospital and staying longer than was necessary. He thought they’d be better off receiving care in their homes and says the research backs this up, that both the financial and clinical benefits of home treatment are well established and that up to 30 percent of patients would be better served this way.

He approached Gerry McElvaney, a professor in the Royal College of Surgeons who had previously worked in the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, and the pair began work on Tara Healthcare, a company they founded together in 2004. By 2007 the HSE had contracted Tara Healthcare to provide Hospital in the Home, a programme that moved patient care away from hospitals and into households, with an annual budget of almost €6.4 million. It was a commercial success, but the HSE decided against renewing the contract as a cost-cutting measure. VHI stepped in and bought the company, making Bowes the CEO of the newly formed VHI Hospital@home.

Bowes reluctantly left the company in 2011 and spent six years pursuing other interests. It was in 2017 he returned to healthcare and founded Community Hospital Ireland (CHI) with fellow entrepreneur Neil Pope. Like Tara Healthcare, CHI would focus on providing healthcare in patients’ homes and reinvest any profits into chronic illness prevention and treatment. In its early stages CHI seemed to enjoy strong institutional support both within the state and from clinical leaders.

The early signs for CHI were positive, but Bowes knew that for it to be a success, he needed partners. Particularly crucial would be the support of Ireland’s GP community, without which, Bowes thought, CHI would fail. Maitiú Ó Tuathail was the man Bowes thought could deliver this support. Ó Tuathail, then 29 years old and from Galway Gaeltacht Leitirmóir, was president of the NAGP, an upstart GP union competing with the longer established and more influential Irish Medical Organisation (IMO).

Bowes wanted Ó Tuathail to get the NAGP behind CHI. It was during their negotiations and subsequent friendship that Ó Tuathail would show Bowes what it means to really be on the inside

Maitiú Ó Tuathail wrote to Chay Bowes on WhatsApp, asking if Vanguard, a private healthcare company Bowes was associated with at the time, would consider opening direct provision centres. He included a moneybag emoji, hinting at the financial rewards in opening such a facility.

There's a very disturbing side to Maitiú Ó Tuathail, a doctor behaving in such a manner re direct provision is quite disgusting.

Kelly has a bone here and he isn't letting go of it

Out of curiosity, how did you do that?

interesting stats.

Using full site (I’m on mobile so have to switch at bottom of screen). Go to main current affairs page and alongside the title of this thread is a post count. Click on it and it will give you list in descending numerical order.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

He's certainly ****ed if Kelly knows something (ironically which would have to have come from a leak about a leak:D)
    Interesting demarcation pointed out
    He can't sanction the Tánaiste for something he did in a previous government

Dempo1 wrote: »
    There's a very disturbing side to Maitiú Ó Tuathail, a doctor behaving in such a manner re direct provision is quite disgusting.

Dont forget he does work to help Refugees at a DP centre for Safety Net Primary Care.

I would imagine their contract will be looked into.
    https://twitter.com/curlymo_99/status/1322628113709309952?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Didn't last too long https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1323632079393951744

Spoke too soon, doh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Holy Mary

Interesting.

'Minister for Foreign Affairs Simon Coveney defended Mr Varadkar last night on RTÉ's Claire Byrne Live, saying his action was "not the same as leaking a confidential document to try to undermine somebody, or to gain advantage in any way".

Last night, Sinn Féin had demanded that Taoiseach Micheál Martin provide immediate access to all communications between the government and the National Association of General Practitioners, the organisation that received the confidential document.

However, it is understood that is unlikely to happen.

'Green Party leader Eamon Ryan said he has confidence in the Tánaiste, but admitted the controversy is a distraction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Holy Mary wrote: »
    Interesting.

'Minister for Foreign Affairs Simon Coveney defended Mr Varadkar last night on RTÉ's Claire Byrne Live, saying his action was "not the same as leaking a confidential document to try to undermine somebody, or to gain advantage in any way".

Last night, Sinn Féin had demanded that Taoiseach Micheál Martin provide immediate access to all communications between the government and the National Association of General Practitioners, the organisation that received the confidential document.

'Green Party leader Eamon Ryan said he has confidence in the Tánaiste, but admitted the controversy is a distraction.'

That is literally old news in a fast moving story.
    Is there some reason I'm missing why any of this has become relevant now ?

Interesting.

What's interesting? The coalition circling the wagons?

Interesting.

Ryan is not a serious Politician .

Nobotty wrote: »
    On the full site just click on the number of posts in a thread and it brings up who posted in order of number of posts
    Bubbaclaus is number one
    The top 6 have over 60 posts each in this one and rising
    4 of the top 6 regularly support sinn Féin here
    The other 2 I've never heard of but appear to be fine gaelish
    I've 26 :D Time to bow out

Thanks, good to know how it's done.

Dont forget he does work to help Refugees at a DP centre for Safety Net Primary Care.

I would imagine their contract will be looked into.
    https://twitter.com/curlymo_99/status/1322628113709309952?s=19

Definitely not a good look, but I wouldn't damn him based on one emoji in a text, simply because we don't know what their dynamic or his humour is like. E.g. some people can have the blackest of humour, and say things ironically, but their actions can be far from that.

So looks bad but I wouldn't hang my hat on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Bowes isn't the journalist. He is the whistleblower. He has no influence over how the Village choses to handle the information he gave them. That is an editorial decision.

If you had read the article you are criticising you would have seen that Micheal Smith is the journalist and he clearly identifies Bowes as the source of the information.

Bowes is the person who made a complaint to the AGS

Commenting without ascertaining basic facts, or even reading the article, seems odd.

Alright, cool your jets, I was looking at Village magazines Twitter and missed that they had retweeted their source and not one of their own crew. This is my final statement on the matter and I will not be taking further questions at this time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Seen him on last week, he was doing more hand gestures than the guy signing behind him,
    Really is amateur hour when he's on

Definitely not a good look, but I wouldn't damn him based on one emoji in a text, simply because we don't know what their dynamic or his humour is like. E.g. some people can have the blackest of humour, and say things ironically, but their actions can be far from that.

So looks bad but I wouldn't hang my hat on it.

I'm not. All DP centres need Medical supoort , but given that his attitude seems to be that DP centres are opportunities to profit it seems logical to me that that contract should be looked at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Tbf to M.M I think he's probably just mixing up his description of Leo as the then Taoiseach, and confusing him with still being the Taoiseach now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement