Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

theballz wrote: »
    Pearse Doherty is an incredibly aggressive individual with links to the IRA. He had a very homophobic slant on many of his questions today.

He’s a scumbag.

Homophobic RA connected scummer shinner, now we do have a full house :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

theballz wrote: »
    Pearse Doherty is an incredibly aggressive individual with links to the IRA. He had a very homophobic slant on many of his questions today.

He’s a scumbag.

Did you watch it? I am guessing no because there was no homophobic slant... unless friend is a homophobic slant now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Anyway time to unfollow, MM must be laughing his ass off. Leo has just become his b*tch.
    Nighty night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

There was no homophobic slant in Doherty's line of questioning.

Mattie McGrath on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

McMurphy wrote: »

So she used to work for them.

That's all I was asking.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

You will have to squeeze the lemon now.

" gone by Friday "

has to be the quote of the day.

So she used to work for them.

That's all I was asking.

Thanks.

What relevance does that have to the Leo saga of November 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,714 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    There was no homophobic slant in Doherty's line of questioning.

Mattie McGrath on the other hand...

What did McGrath say that was homopobic? Are you sure you understand what homophobia is? Asking how close a friendship was, is not homophobia regardless how the questioned person answers. Others queried the closeness of the friendship and Varadkar answered without going there.

Calling the reputation of the whistleblower/s into question doesn't change the fact that Leo was a bold boy and he got caught.
    Dominic Rabb the British minister accused Leo of leaking during the Brexit negotiations, seems he more than likely was correct as we learned Leo has form.

Being on the same side as Rabb will never be a good thing, imo.

What relevance does that have to the Leo saga of November 2020?

Nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭elperello

As I recall it the Village issued a statement disassociating themselves from her political views which they said she didn't have while writing occasional articles for them. I'd imagine the Indo would do the same and any other publication she may have worked for.

Nice try at shooting the messenger, very Maurice McCabesque.

This link is to a comprehensive editorial about GO'D published in Village last year.

https://villagemagazine.ie/village-editorial-september-gemma-odoherty-2019/

This is the concluding paragraph.

Meanwhile Village will continue to publish investigative journalism on the basis of the journalism rather than the author, unless the author shows evidence of failing to recognise democratic norms. Once O’Doherty revealed herself as racist she was no longer welcome in these pages. Expecting the magazine to have dropped the welcome pre-emptively is unfair and naïve.

What did McGrath say that was homopobic? Are you sure you understand what homophobia is? Asking how close a friendship was, is not homophobia regardless how the questioned person answers. Others queried the closeness of the friendship and Varadkar answered without going there.

He said nothing homophobic but did say “parade” without saying pride when asking about his friendship with the dr - I think he didn’t say it as he didn’t want to be the one to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

You can say whatever you want, I heard what I heard and plenty of others have the same thoughts about the incident.

elperello wrote: »
    This link is to a comprehensive editorial about GO'D published in Village last year.

https://villagemagazine.ie/village-editorial-september-gemma-odoherty-2019/

This is the concluding paragraph.

Meanwhile Village will continue to publish investigative journalism on the basis of the journalism rather than the author, unless the author shows evidence of failing to recognise democratic norms. Once O’Doherty revealed herself as racist she was no longer welcome in these pages. Expecting the magazine to have dropped the welcome pre-emptively is unfair and naïve.

Yes, that was the piece I remembered. Savage and emphatic dis-association.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    You can say whatever you want, I heard what I heard and plenty of others have the same thoughts about the incident.

You can’t just call someone a homophobe because they didn’t say something in the way you feel it should have been said.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,513 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What answers will satisfy the opposition?

Have to laugh at the opposition being asked by commentators if they are/were happy with the answers..

As if they are going to say, yes, we’re over the moon..

Opposition is not about ever really accepting and agreeing..

thomas 123 wrote: »
    He said nothing homophobic but did say “parade” without saying pride when asking about his friendship with the dr - I think he didn’t say it as he didn’t want to be the one to say it.

He was referencing a photo that shows or at least begs the question as to how close a friendship he had, as Varadkar had been downplaying the friendship. ('throwing him under the bus' was the comment being made widely at the time.)
    Perfectly legitimate to question that IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

https://youtu.be/CHR5Ly3TrwM

Yes, that was the piece I remembered. Savage and emphatic dis-association.

How the feck did they let her associate herself with them when they are a let wing magazine!!

LOL she is a fruitcake, probably jumped on the racist bandwagon recently.

Yeah - that’s what some people wish mgrath said, anything to deflect from the real issue.

• Advertisement

How the feck did they let her associate herself with them when they are a let wing magazine!!

You need to research GoD. She was a respected journalist at one time.

He was referencing a photo that shows or at least begs the question as to how close a friendship he had, as Varadkar had been downplaying the friendship. ('throwing him under the bus' was the comment being made widely at the time.)
    Perfectly legitimate to question that IMO.

We know he is talking bollocks about the friendship, he said they weren’t close, some people think they are closer then they are etc, later then he said he included him in his group of 6 during lockdown...

He was caught on that point to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Read the link I posted and google her career.

She was not always the pariah she has become.

It was posted only a few posts before you posted that.

You need to research GoD. She was a respected journalist at one time.

I'll pass, all I need to know about her has happened in the last few months:)

We know he is talking bollocks about the friendship, he said they weren’t close, some people think they are closer then they are etc, later then he said he included him in his group of 6 during lockdown...

He was caught on that point to be fair.

It was a huge part of his defence - to make O'Tuautaill look like the bad guy in this.

Very few but the ardent FGers bought it and certainly nobody on the Opposition did. McGrath was just following up on what others were doing, questioning him on it.

It was posted only a few posts before you posted that.

Ah yeah, makes sense.

It was a huge part of his defence - to make O'Tuautaill look like the bad guy in this.

Very few but the ardent FGers bought it and certainly nobody on the Opposition did. McGrath was just following up on what others were doing, questioning him on it.

Surely O'Tuautill can finish him off now of he has more ammo seems Leo made him out to be the bad guy?

I'll pass, all I need to know about her has happened in the last few months:)

Of course you'll pass on informing yourself. You only wanted to insinuate something to begin with.

• Advertisement

Surely O'Tuautill can finish him off now of he has more ammo seems Leo made him out to be the bad guy?

It is one of the aspects of his defense few, but the most ardent supporters, believe anyway.

The Village has more tomorrow, we'll soon see.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement