Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Was MOT really such an eejit that he shared screenshots of every message on his phone with Bowes? Who does that?

"Chay, chay, look how connected I am, look who's texting me, look!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

"Chay, chay, look how connected I am, look who's texting me, look!!"

We don't know that he was lying. He did get a confidential document delivered by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Those new screenshot strengthen Leo's defence.

Surely they have something bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Don't you think Leo would have told him why he was giving him the document?

Seems to me he was warned very strongly about what would happen if the IMO found out....and it wasn't that it was in the national interest.
    Seems to me that MOT supposed what would happen if the IMO found out.

There's no text in that list saying, "Don't tell anyone where you got this", or "Don't tell the IMO". All it says is, "This isn't final, don't take it as gospel".

If this was something Varadkar thought was dodgy and underhanded, don't you think he'd have been careful *NOT* to be sending texts about it and asking his secretary to send it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Don't you think Leo would have told him why he was giving him the document?

Seems to me he was warned very strongly about what would happen if the IMO found out....and it wasn't that it was in the national interest.

Never mind though, I am quite enjoying the squirming from confronting the reality of what was going on here in FG supporters.

I've never voted FG, so not sure why you are directing that at me.

I've only ever posted based on the facts that were available at the time. I have no time for being asked about my opinion on suggestions that are without basis or people adding more to a story without any evidence to support it. I post based on the information in front of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Those new screenshot strengthen Leo's defence.

Surely they have something bigger.

Leo's defence that it was it was some kind of a govt strategy?

Not seeing any evidence of that myself jingle.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Was MOT really such an eejit that he shared screenshots of every message on his phone with Bowes? Who does that?
    thomas 123 wrote: »
    Someone who thinks they did something great I guess.

Young lad with not enough experience and cop-on, and too much ego is my read - trying to brag about his connections for both personal and professional kudos

We all know Leo has quite an ego himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,716 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

seamus wrote: »

There's no text in that list saying, "Don't tell anyone where you got this", or "Don't tell the IMO". All it says is, "This isn't final, don't take it as gospel".

If this was something Varadkar thought was dodgy and underhanded, don't you think he'd have been careful *NOT* to be sending texts about it and asking his secretary to send it out?

The contract he thought it was inappropriate (dodgy) to send the way he did? the one he sent in secret unknown to the entire government?

That was in a previous text in the first batch released. The "inner sanctum" were very concerned about keeping it close and not leaking where they got it.

thomas 123 wrote: »
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/11Uy5vmEwqoxLfhGaq2DDFQy3DDyNJk-L/view?usp=drivesdk

Claims he did meet Harris for lunch “on the quite”. Contradiction no 1.

Someone lied by the looks of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,716 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Looks to me that The Village is going to do this in a way to flush out those in FG who stand over this behaviour.
    A slow drip drip of the info...jump off the support band wagon now or risk further embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The timing of the US election and the resulting media coverage couldn't be better from Leo's perspective.

Arghus wrote: »
    The timing of the US election and the resulting media coverage couldn't be better from Leo's perspective.

Yup. I bet he's wishing he could have made his statement today instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭bureau2009

You certainly can't admire Varadkar, Fine Gael Ministers, Michael Martin after this debacle.

But we certainly can admire The Village Magazine.

Doing the state some service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

You feel bad for MOT?

He comes across as a Charlatan

Coming across as really overstating his relationship with Leo and Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    That was in a previous text in the first batch released. The "inner sanctum" were very concerned about keeping it close and not leaking where they got it.
    MOT said it was all hush hush and on the sly. Judging by the rest of his texts, he was desperate to claim that he had an inside track on the goverment and all sorts of connections that would big up the NAGP.

There are no texts from Varadkar telling MOT that this wasn't above board.

There could be, but we can only go on what's in front of us.

If anything, it looks like with the NAGP floundering, MOT was so desperate to keep Mr. Bowes's interest that he was fabricating all this secret insider stuff as well as lunch with Harris.

If there are more texts that show otherwise, then we will see.

If there aren't, then I feel especially sorry for Mr. Bowes that he was so taken in by all this to the extent that he's gone and made a Garda complaint based on MOT's bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

bureau2009 wrote: »
    You certainly can't admire Varadkar, Fine Gael Ministers, Michael Martin after this debacle.

But we certainly can admire The Village Magazine.

Doing the state some service.

I would hope they would do the same to any political figure and it isn’t a specific targeting of only 1 person/party. This sort of behaviours, however wrong, has to be brought to the attention of public and authorities irrespective of who it is or what party they are member of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

MOT said it was all hush hush and on the sly. Judging by the rest of his texts, he was desperate to claim that he had an inside track on the goverment and all sorts of connections that would big up the NAGP.

If anything, it looks like with the NAGP floundering, MOT was so desperate to keep Mr. Bowes's interest that he was fabricating all this secret insider stuff as well as lunch with Harris.

He even says Leo is cagey after the broadband incident.

If there aren't, then I feel especially sorry for Mr. Bowes that he was so taken in by all this to the extent that he's gone and made a Garda complaint based on MOT's bullsh1t.

So contrary to Leo getting his good friend a confidential document behind the rest of the Govt back, he got it for someone he is barely friends with.

Not a great look either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Interesting to how the line has changed from "it's nothing, a non-story, no evidence of wrongdoing" to "O'Tuathail is just making things up about docs being confidential"

And all the TDs being rolled out to face the media have echoed the same sentiment - clearly the spin machine is trying to go into overdrive to salvage this situation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Skeetur

The recent screenshots seem to back Leo's version more than anything else. He seems professional in all communication, there's no friendly chit chat despite the other guy trying and the Harris message confirms they were communicating with him as head of the NAGP.

While the other guys messages to Bowes make it look like he's a complete clown making out he's getting top secret info from a pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Skeetur wrote: »
    The recent screenshots seem to back Leo's version more than anything else. He seems professional in all communication, there's no friendly chit chat despite the other guy trying and the Harris message confirms they were communicating with him as head of the NAGP.

While the other guys messages to Bowes make it look like he's a complete clown making out he's getting top secret info from a pal.

Harris blew him off. He admitted as much yesterday. When asked if he had "looked into" getting MoT a copy of the agreement, he said no he didn't.

I don't buy O Toole being a complete clown/fall guy.. his use of language and composition makes him sound like a younger man alright but his position as of late in the media re : Covid-19 and his being the head of the organization would make me think that he perhaps has had some help, how else would somebody who looks more at home being fired by Alan sugar, show up at the heart of such a row?? he's a spoofer but I don't believe Varadkar when he understates his significance to him.

Has he even given an account of his version of things or is he 2 atmospheres down with cement loafers???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Looks to me that The Village is going to do this in a way to flush out those in FG who stand over this behaviour.
    A slow drip drip of the info...jump off the support band wagon now or risk further embarrassment.

Helen McEntees position is precarious esp if it's found that Leo broke the law

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The best thing that could happen for FG for Varadkar to step down - the longer himself and others refuse to acknowledge any wrongdoing, the more it'll hurt their popularity. Same goes for FF & the greens, anything associated with this & seen to be condoning will be politically toxic.

Be an interesting election when it comes

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

Harris blew him off. He admitted as much yesterday.

Jesus that's a bit graphic

Coming across as really overstating his relationship with Leo and Simon

These Drs were obsessed with financial gain, very very greedy .

It's not as if any were in dire need, although the NAGP itself was in financial difficulties.

They were hoping to get all services under the NAGP and destroy the IMO.

yes indeed, he sounds like he has a Zuckerberg manual under his pillow!!!
    It's going into the fire now only to be replaced by how to make friends and influence people maybe!

timmyntc wrote: »
    Interesting to how the line has changed from "it's nothing, a non-story, no evidence of wrongdoing" to "O'Tuathail is just making things up about docs being confidential"

And all the TDs being rolled out to face the media have echoed the same sentiment - clearly the spin machine is trying to go into overdrive to salvage this situation

When asked by Peadar Toibin did he consider the Doc to be public or confidential Leo said Confidential .

Video of Q+A. Peadars Qs at 04:48:00
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/oireachtas-tv/video-archive/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Arghus wrote: »

I don't have much time for US politics, I'd prefer to watch Leo go down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement