Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media reporting of sensitive situations

Options
  • 31-10-2020 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭

If Twitter were to be believed, the whole country is outraged at RTE Prime Time, Six-One News, etc for having pieces about the deaths in Kanturk and Ballinteer.

I don't really see what the problem is. The media's job is to report on what happens in this country. Do people really want zero reporting in mainstream media?

If RTE or Virgin Media or whoever didn't present facts, people would just turn to social media for news of what happened. I for one think that would be far worse than seeing proper facts on the news, where our broadcasters have gone to some effort to portray the facts.

There is no doubting the awfulness of what happened this week - but is RTE showing a picture of 2 hearses driving past really that bad? They weren't "in the face" of the poor hearbroken widow/mother - I for one felt they were sensitive in their reporting.

Such situations have to be reported on is my view, no matter how uncomfortable. Better to have media companies do it as they are at least bound to some rules and standards, unlike Twitter.

Agree/disagree?

Advertisement