Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lawn

Options
  • 31-10-2020 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Just got most of my garden dug up for a sewerage system. I levelled it and raked out the stones.

There is parts that are not as level as id like and some parts that are holding water. It is roughly 50 mtr × 80 mtr. Neighbours reckon I'm been to fussy and I won't notice when its grassed. I can't get any better mostly because of the weather and wet soil.

My questions

Should I just sow the grass seeds and hope for the best. Repair the bad bits, if there's any next summer.
    Should I hold off until dry weather,
    How much would a professional charge approx for that size and would they do it now or would the wait till better weather

Thanks

Comments

koppy wrote: »
    Just got most of my garden dug up for a sewerage system. I levelled it and raked out the stones.

There is parts that are not as level as id like and some parts that are holding water. It is roughly 50 mtr × 80 mtr. Neighbours reckon I'm been to fussy and I won't notice when its grassed. I can't get any better mostly because of the weather and wet soil.

My questions

Should I just sow the grass seeds and hope for the best. Repair the bad bits, if there's any next summer.
    Should I hold off until dry weather,
    How much would a professional charge approx for that size and would they do it now or would the wait till better weather

Thanks

That's a big lawn and would require a lot of work to level yourself. If it's holding water in areas you'd probably be best to hold off sowing it until next April as you'll end up with alot of the seed washed away. Re-assess in the spring and take it from there. But as your friend suggests by next June when you have a lush carpet of grass you probably won't even notice the areas that aren't level as they are exaggerated when exposed and water gathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭daheff

If you have bad drainage/wet patches now might be a good time to dig in some soak pits as it's already dug up.

Advertisement