Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland the only country in the world that tolerates lawlessness on Halloween?

Options
  • 31-10-2020 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

Dublin's welfare class out in force tonight with illegal fireworks and bonfires.

Are we the only country in the world that tolerates complete lawlessness on a night like this? And every other night it seems.

I get it, i get it. There's no father at home. Single mothers. Drugs. Alcohol. Seems like two thirds of Dubliners come from such a home but that's another story.

But no-where else in the world does it manifest like this where they just do whatever they want and get away with it. That's the point, society is letting them get away with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Sees thread name, checks who created. Yep that checks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Dublin's welfare class out in force tonight with illegal fireworks and bonfires.

Are we the only country in the world that tolerates complete lawlessness on a night like this? And every other night it seems.

I get it, i get it. There's no father at home. Single mothers. Drugs. Alcohol. Seems like two thirds of Dubliners come from such a home but that's another story.

But no-where else in the world does it manifest like this where they just do whatever they want and get away with it. That's the point, society is letting them get away with it.
    Have you ever been to a far away land known as England?

I spent one halloween in manchester.....never again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Watching Liverpool playing West Ham and the fireworks are going off outside the stadium the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Watching Liverpool playing West Ham and the fireworks are going off outside the stadium the whole time.

Fireworks are legal in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 83,460 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The short answer is no; you may be just a little bit melodramatic with your outrage at some fireworks and bonfires. Maybe as an American I don’t associate fireworks with lawlessness but bonfires? Fires aren’t inherently lawless or violent and IME Irish bonfires aren’t you know, bat**** lawless affairs it’s just community members coming together to burn scrap wood and enjoy the craic peaceably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,932 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Yes Fred, yes, we’re the only country in the world that tolerates lawlessness every night of the week...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Yep, cannibal gangs of disaffected youth terrorise us all.

People tend to treat it like a ‘free pass’ night. More power needs to be given to the cops to crack skulls and remind these cretins when they’re acting the bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ShayNanigan

Well, when you don't have a police... :( Bunch of eejits have been shooting each other with fireworks for hours in a park near where I live. Seems like they smuggled in a trainload of fireworks as they don't seem to run out of them. No use reporting them to the not-police as they wouldn't do a thing. Too busy pretending they're doing something. Have I seen something like it? Yes I have but usually the cops put a stop to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So basically in Ireland, the 31st of October is the combo of The Crow, The Purge and Gotham?

How does anyone survive? Where is Brandon Lee and Bruce Wayne?
    Do we actually even deserve a hero?
    Won't somebody please, please think of the children?

Have I hit the right histrionic note? Can I join the OP's club?
    Is it called pearl clutches utd?

On a far more serious note, No OP.
    Ireland isn't the only country with such issues, and it is far, far from the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They are going off here all evening as well, was afraid they would frighten my cat but she is taking it all in her stride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Bonfires are just an excuse for people to act the bollox and usually attract societies scummers. It's absolutely pathetic that they are illegal yet are massively widespread throughout the country and Dublin in particular. They do huge damage to the environment also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭beachhead

Fireworks going in my area for 2 hours now-non stop.Much more this year than ever b4.One session(all,sorry) is illegal but tolerated cuz a "respectable". community member pays 4 it.But,mostly scummers in certain parts of town doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ShayNanigan

I'm used to fireworks on New Year's but never on Halloween and never as much as this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

are they social welfare giving away free fireworks tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

gmisk wrote: »

I spent a few in a city just across the Pennines and I used to be afraid to go out after dusk. It goes on for longer there, too, with Guy Fawkes night on Nov 5.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

What sounded like a machine gun just going off outside our house there. The pets are cuddled up here with me, very startled by it.

If you're over seven year old and bangers appeal to you, a serious evaluation of your mental capacity should be undertaken to determine if you should be allowed to continue sharing space with the rest of us. The same effect could be got slamming doors annoyingly but people don't go around doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The Purge nite in America is even worse. You can do anything you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

wpd wrote: »
    are they social welfare giving away free fireworks tonight?

No, they're only open Monday to Friday. They were giving them out in Intreo offices around the country yesterday. My brother's friend's girlfriend's father works for Dublin Bus and apparently a Nigerian woman left an entire box of quarter sticks at a bus stop yesterday, claiming that she could just pop into the community welfare officer and get more anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Sure there's nothing else for the kids to do...

• Advertisement

s1ippy wrote: »
    The same effect could be got slamming doors annoyingly but people don't go around doing that.

You haven't met my neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Its been so drab, no pubs, no parties, no visiting, not much trick-or-treating except for the smallies.

I honestly think people sort of collectively decided to celebrate with a blast of pyrotechnics, brightens up the place.

Calm down, everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

gmisk wrote: »

Spent a Halloween in New Orleans once... I think about 30 people were shot that night (per news reports), it was one of the scariest places I have been to walk down the street.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I spent a few in a city just across the Pennines and I used to be afraid to go out after dusk. It goes on for longer there, too, with Guy Fawkes night on Nov 5.

Spent my childhood in a city across the penines & I loved loved loved bonfire night!

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Its been so drab, no pubs, no parties, no visiting, not much trick-or-treating except for the smallies.

I honestly think people sort of collectively decided to celebrate with a blast of pyrotechnics, brightens up the place.

Calm down, everyone.

Yeah setting things like buildings on fire is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

mloc123 wrote: »
    Spent a Halloween in New Orleans once... I think about 30 people were shot that night (per news reports), it was one of the scariest places I have been to walk down the street.
    It was very bad in the 80s and 90s, especially in Detroit. Huge amount of arson used to happen over Devil's Night and Halloween.

Plenty of the landowner farmer class out here with fireworks and bonfires tonight.
    Terrible that society lets them away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,347 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People tend to treat it like a ‘free pass’ night.

That and St Patrick's Night, New Years Eve, prob Stephens' Night too.
    Usually underage knackbags who can't be touched by law or even named.

Day Lewin wrote: »

Calm down, everyone.

Largely peaceful too, according to the fire brigade. Some miserable bores on here.

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1322668038697721861

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

bubblypop wrote: »
    Spent my childhood in a city across the penines & I loved loved loved bonfire night!

Bonfire night is magical when you're a kid and you go to the the organised bonfires to see the fireworks. When you're an adult living in a rough area of a rough city and coming home from work when gangs of teen boys are setting off bangers in the middle of the road, lobbing them at each other and the occasional passers by with a menacing atmosphere increasing nightly its quite an intimidating experience for a lone early 20s female.

Advertisement