Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland the only country in the world that tolerates lawlessness on Halloween?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

gmisk wrote: »
    Have you ever been to a far away land known as England?

I spent one halloween in manchester.....never again

Used to live in Dublin, now live in Manchester.

Mancunians are nicer people, in leaps and bounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

**** weather = tame night

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why do we not allow fireworks to be sold legally and take in taxes from them when most EU countries legally trade them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It was very bad in the 80s and 90s, especially in Detroit. Huge amount of arson used to happen over Devil's Night and Halloween.

Someone mentiones The Crow above - the fact it's set in in Detroit during a load of arsons on Devil's Night into Halloween is actually a plot point.

Why do we not allow fireworks to be sold legally and take in taxes from them when most EU countries legally trade them?

Blame the IRA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Yeah setting things like buildings on fire is great.

You're right, there's barely a building left standing in Dublin this morning.

Great black heaps of smouldering ruins, everywhere.

It's a good thing they can't buy firelighters or matches any other day of the year, eh?

Day Lewin wrote: »
    You're right, there's barely a building left standing in Dublin this morning.

Great black heaps of smouldering ruins, everywhere.

It's a good thing they can't buy firelighters or matches any other day of the year, eh?

One is too many. People are slipping into that American attitude that anything goes on Halloween so it’s only going to get worse until offenders are dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

What a f**king pointless thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

gmisk wrote: »
    Have you ever been to a far away land known as England?

I spent one halloween in manchester.....never again

"Mischeif" night in parts of Liverpool can be like a war zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Good morning. I just want you to know I had a wonderful night launching a couple hundred euro worth of fireworks around my bonfire.
    There was multiple houses in the area with fireworks too. Every little village had them going off and even out in the back arse of nowhere there was others setting them off near us.

Had a great night. None of us are "welfare class"

Go off and ****e with your dramatic "welfare class" snobbery and lawlessness.

Fireworks should be legal. Feel sorry for the people who genuinely cower in their houses and never have an ounce of fun because you're afraid of a minor law being broken.
    some of you's wouldn't cross the road without a lolipop man out of fear of breaking the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

You must live a very sheltered miserable life if you think Ireland is lawless, your thread is stupid and you're a moron op

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭chosen1

I don't know why councils can't get a few organised local bonfires in different areas with a small fireworks display. Know it's not possible this year due to covid but it couldn't be that hard to organise and it's done in England safely for bonfire night there for years.

Like it or not, bonfires are an Irish tradition on Halloween and it would be much better to have it done properly and safely rather than leaving it to kids to burn potentially dangerous ones themselves. In some areas you get scrotes destroying football pitches and other local amenities and they are a magnet for antisocial behaviour. Time to take control back from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

sweet_trip wrote:
    Fireworks should be legal. Feel sorry for the people who genuinely cower in their houses and never have an ounce of fun because you're afraid of a minor law being broken. some of you's wouldn't cross the road without a lolipop man out of fear of breaking the law.

I don't think most people have a problem with fireworks on Halloween.

The problem is for example in my area, we've had fireworks since feckin July.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

s1ippy wrote: »

If you're over seven year old and bangers appeal to you, a serious evaluation of your mental capacity should be undertaken to determine if you should be allowed to continue sharing space with the rest of us.

Same could be said for all fireworks. I'm glad children enjoy them but after the first couple times you see them they're fairly dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

bubblypop wrote: »
    Blame the IRA

They mostly used fertilizer for bombs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,347 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

osarusan wrote: »
    What a f**king pointless thread.

And yet, you contributed this gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Overheal wrote: »
    The short answer is no; you may be just a little bit melodramatic with your outrage at some fireworks and bonfires. Maybe as an American I don’t associate fireworks with lawlessness but bonfires? Fires aren’t inherently lawless or violent and IME Irish bonfires aren’t you know, bat**** lawless affairs it’s just community members coming together to burn scrap wood and enjoy the craic peaceably.

Community members coming together to burn scrap wood and enjoy the craic?

Does you experience include any of the lunatic asylums alluded to in the OP?

Having grown up in a part of Dublin where Halloween meant the entire area turned into a lawless mess I have the perspective to understand that things aren't as bad now as they were back then, but in some areas people still lose the run of themselves and completely run amok. Peace and craic are the last things on the agenda.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

.anon. wrote: »
    Largely peaceful too, according to the fire brigade. Some miserable bores on here.

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1322668038697721861

Pretty much the exception to the rule. Most years aren't anything like that, but I'm sure you knew that before you posted this.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

nullzero wrote: »
    Community members coming together to burn scrap wood and enjoy the craic?

Does you experience include any of the lunatic asylums alluded to in the OP?

Having grown up in a part of Dublin where Halloween meant the entire area turned into a lawless mess I have the perspective to understand that things aren't as bad now as they were back then, but in some areas people still lose the run of themselves and completely run amok. Peace and craic are the last things on the agenda.

As a little **** of a young lad, Halloween always meant acting the bollocks. It was always a night to get up to some mischief. Nothing too bad of course, but we certainly didn't look at it as a night of unity and harmony.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

We’re definitely not the only country , but it is sad. Its always the bad areas where the welfare class run wild and sadly, it almost always leads to pets being harmed with cats trapped in stolen cars set alight, having fireworks taped to them or dog being put on bonfires

https://www.buzz.ie/news/cat-left-dead-after-disgusting-halloween-act-204211

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

We’re definitely not the only country , but it is sad. Its always the bad areas where the welfare class run wild and sadly, it almost always leads to pets being harmed with cats trapped in stolen cars set alight, having fireworks taped to them or dog being put on bonfires

https://www.buzz.ie/news/cat-left-dead-after-disgusting-halloween-act-204211

The welfare scrongers in our estate threw some neighbours wheelie bins onto the bonfire last night thinking they where funny. Unfortunately for them our neighbour has CCTV installed and the Gardai have been up already this morning conducting investigations. Two families in social housing involved so hopefully they are thrown out on the street the dirty sh1ts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

.anon. wrote: »
    Largely peaceful too, according to the fire brigade. Some miserable bores on here.

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1322668038697721861

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1322647536495112195?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Hasn't been the same since the blackcats got banned up north

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

It was far worse back in the 90s here in North Dublin. The place was like war zone the next day after Halloween. I drove around earlier in most places are spotless.

The welfare scrongers in our estate threw some neighbours wheelie bins onto the bonfire last night thinking they where funny. Unfortunately for them our neighbour has CCTV installed and the Gardai have been up already this morning conducting investigations. Two families in social housing involved so hopefully they are thrown out on the street the dirty sh1ts.

I have a funny feeling the opposite will happen, the mother will be round in a dressing gown, fag in hand screaming her lungs out at the neighbour about how theyre the bad one for calling the gardai on little deco and bazz

Hasn't been the same since the blackcats got banned up north

Fireworks can be beautiful to look at and a very wholesome form of entertainment.

Bangers are absolutely retarded and have always been. Even as a kid I never saw the fun that tracksuit clad scobes got out of throwing bangers at innocent passers by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

I have a funny feeling the opposite will happen, the mother will be round in a dressing gown, fag in hand screaming her lungs out at the neighbour about how theyre the bad one for calling the gardai on little deco and bazz

I'm hoping not tbh. Iv'e spoken to my neighbour and the footage is very clear. One family is on their last warning with the council apparently so here's hoping they are slung out as they are an absolute virus for the people of the area.

Nothing will happen them and they’ll do similar or worse and nothing will happen them for that either. That’s how the soft approach to them works in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

e
    Nothing will happen them and they’ll do similar or worse and nothing will happen them for that either. That’s how the soft approach to them works in this country.

Time to deploy the vigilantes!
    Woo hoo. More than mere fireworks lie ahead!
    Let's all gather round and watch the fur fly!

• Advertisement

They mostly used fertilizer for bombs.

You asked why they were illegal, that's why, because of the IRA.
    They used what they could, they couldn't use fireworks if they were illegal.

Advertisement