Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hydraulic pump sheep pen

• 01-11-2020 12:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭

right im not sure if i dreamt about this or seen it very late at night on youtube but i have an idea for a sheep pen/footbath. very simple, you have am 10ftx10ft square pen with galvinsed floor and this floor ccan be reaised with bottle jack type hydraulic pumpwhen sheep are put in but then lower when sheep are infor water to come up into pen, the floor is made of galvinsed slats. with a galvinsed bath under neath. pump up jacks toraise slat then lower once sheep are in pen for their feet to be submerged. very easy to get sheep into up to 20 ewes done at a time.prob expensive to make though you need galvinsed bottom tank maybe a foot high sidesthen slatted floor which is lowered down and raised up by manual bottle pump.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

It'd cost a bit, building the cage or pen would be expensive with the price of steel.
    Four rams, one at each corner, piped to be plugged into the tractors hydraulics.
    Single acting rams would do, and a single pipe connecting them.
    You'd need a way to drain the tank too.

Might be easier building a "floodable" chute, with a 1000 litre tank for chemical and a Honda water pump to transfer the liquid out of the chute back to the tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    It'd cost a bit, building the cage or pen would be expensive with the price of steel.
    Four rams, one at each corner, piped to be plugged into the tractors hydraulics.
    Single acting rams would do, and a single pipe connecting them.
    You'd need a way to drain the tank too.

Might be easier building a "floodable" chute, with a 1000 litre tank for chemical and a Honda water pump to transfer the liquid out of the chute back to the tank.

Was thinking the same Nek - Altho in my head was using a pen on a loader.
    Raise pen above tank to drain, and leave pen below/level with pen to bring in the liquid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If you came across a 6 x 12 trailer cheap enough, one that needed axles or brakes fixing.
    Might be cheaper than building a new cage.
    Drill lots of 13mm holes in the floor, cut off the axles and drawbar.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cattletrailers-for-sale/trailer/26149817

Need a decent loader, to lift it with 18 or 20 ewes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

Dickie10 wrote: »
    right im not sure if i dreamt about this or seen it very late at night on youtube but i have an idea for a sheep pen/footbath. very simple, you have am 10ftx10ft square pen with galvinsed floor and this floor ccan be reaised with bottle jack type hydraulic pumpwhen sheep are put in but then lower when sheep are infor water to come up into pen, the floor is made of galvinsed slats. with a galvinsed bath under neath. pump up jacks toraise slat then lower once sheep are in pen for their feet to be submerged. very easy to get sheep into up to 20 ewes done at a time.prob expensive to make though you need galvinsed bottom tank maybe a foot high sidesthen slatted floor which is lowered down and raised up by manual bottle pump.

What’s the issue with a traditional footbath?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Is this it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COt7y5oODOI

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »

Ah, very smart - to move the bath up into the sheep and not the other way round...

Ah, very smart - to move the bath up into the sheep and not the other way round...

I don't know how it's lifting level with a jack only on one side

I don't know how it's lifting level with a jack only on one side

It’s a bit off in the far corner vs the middle - the level of the water is deeper in the middle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Same general idea as mobile plunge dipper in Agriland video below.
    Would imagine not the hardest thing to make but would it be an expensive solution ?

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/video-plunge-dipping-sheep-in-co-carlow/

Would imagine not the hardest thing to make but would it be an expensive solution ?

That guy seems to have a conveyor of sorts on the ramp, see the blue motors at the top.... that'd be huge help if it worked.

https://youtu.be/hI4GsIG830c?t=73

Our dipping contractor has all that mounted on a jeep trailer, it cost him €50000
    But unfortunately no conveyor

• Advertisement

That guy seems to have a conveyor of sorts on the ramp, see the blue motors at the top.... that'd be huge help if it worked.

https://youtu.be/hI4GsIG830c?t=73

Our dipping contractor has all that mounted on a jeep trailer, it cost him €50000
    But unfortunately no conveyor

The lad in that video built it from scratch himself.Conveyor is like the one on a killing line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Tileman

That’s a good idea in principal but he has it the wrong way round. It should be lifted when empty and then when full of sheep he should drop the floor into the water. Then let sheep out and raise floor again . It’s easier to raise a floor empty rather than when it’s full of sheep.

Tileman wrote: »
    That’s a good idea in principal but he has it the wrong way round. It should be lifted when empty and then when full of sheep he should drop the floor into the water. Then let sheep out and raise floor again . It’s easier to raise a floor empty rather than when it’s full of sheep.

Are you referring to the footbath, the floor never moves, it's the tank of water underneath that goes up and down and it's the same weight all the time

Tileman wrote: »

Not a lot of weight really to be lifting.10/12 ewes probably 1000kg at most plus the frame is maybe 500kgs (guessing here).So maybe ton and a half at most in a straight lift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Dickie10

what do we think? havent used footbaths much but is it hard to get sheep to run into the water i would imagine its a nghtmare

what do we think? havent used footbaths much but is it hard to get sheep to run into the water i would imagine its a nghtmare

Its difficult the 1st time....but after that they just run through it,no hassle for us anyway

Once they see 1st few escape to freedom,sure its like trying to keep em in a field with no fence

Its difficult the 1st time....but after that they just run through it,no hassle for us anyway

Once they see 1st few escape to freedom,sure its like trying to keep em in a field with no fence

That size of footbath is no problem to get them into, but the narrow ones in the race are very difficult. lambs going in the first time won't go up the race and ewes that are used to it won't go in without the lambs. I went into a farmers yard years ago and he was lifting the lambs in over the side .....hardship.
    In the wider bath the ewes bring in the lambs the first time, my footbath is 8ft by 3ft and they fly it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

For sheep not used to the footbath, I put straw in the footbath and run the sheep through it first, then add the footbath solution, and run them through it again, with a fresh shake of straw on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

right im not sure if i dreamt about this or seen it very late at night on youtube but i have an idea for a sheep pen/footbath. very simple, you have am 10ftx10ft square pen with galvinsed floor lowered down and raised up by manual bottle pump.

Yes, ive also seen something like that on a video clip before as well. Worked by simple hydraulics , Cannt remember where

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

https://youtu.be/P5ttpjYHY5U

Remembered seeing this before, its abit fancy

• Advertisement

https://youtu.be/P5ttpjYHY5U

Remembered seeing this before, its abit fancy

For scab you need to push the head down...... twice

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭dunlopwellies

This what your looking for?

https://youtu.be/COt7y5oODOI

Advertisement