Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Siro Overhead Cable

• 01-11-2020 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Siro broadband has been installed to my neighbour via o/h cable. The cable crosses over my property.
    Can Siro do this without my permission or any consultation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

I assume it would come under a wayleave that allows for cables over a certain height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭65535

ESB had a historic wayleave to run electricity anywhere whereas P&T/Telecom Eireann/Eircom etc. had to follow the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

65535 wrote: »
    ESB had a historic wayleave to run electricity anywhere whereas P&T/Telecom Eireann/Eircom etc. had to follow the rules.

That wayleave was extended to communications infrastructure over the electricity network via legislation a few years ago IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tigerpants

The Cush wrote: »
    That wayleave was extended to communications infrastructure over the electricity network via legislation a few years ago IIRC.

Any reference to the relevant legislation? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Tigerpants wrote: »
    Siro broadband has been installed to my neighbour via o/h cable. The cable crosses over my property.

No they can’t.

degsie wrote: »
    I assume it would come under a wayleave that allows for cables over a certain height.

Can you explain what you mean?

No they can’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

The Cush wrote: »
    So, fibre cables are "electric lines" now according to that. I wonder could the wayleave privileges be considered a form of state aid, and would it be legal? It doesn't seem right that SIRO can just run a line across your land without asking permission but Eir and others (including cable companies who have had many problems with this before) can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Don't the ESB have the officially inform you that a statutory cable is going over your property? As it ultimately affects your usage of your property eg minding overhead wires.

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    Don't the ESB have the officially inform you that a statutory cable is going over your property? As it ultimately affects your usage of your property eg minding overhead wires.

They (Siri) have to serve a wayleave notice. The landowner is entitled to compensation.

plodder wrote: »
    So, fibre cables are "electric lines" now according to that. I wonder could the wayleave privileges be considered a form of state aid, and would it be legal? It doesn't seem right that SIRO can just run a line across your land without asking permission but Eir and others (including cable companies who have had many problems with this before) can't.

I think you’re right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

I've known of neighbours that have refused SIRO access to their land without compensation and therefore has prevented the rollout of the network

Why do people get so het up about a simple cable? Some bang on about the need for internet access but stringing a cable is a bridge too far. Doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Is it really that much of a concern/hinderance?

I never understand people getting up in arms over things like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

joe123 wrote: »
    Is it really that much of a concern/hinderance?

I never understand people getting up in arms over things like this.

You'd have to see the cable. It could be in the way of putting up a ladder easily to clean windows for eg

I wonder if the fibre line the op refers to follows the same route as the power line or it that underground?

Post a pic OP.

Advertisement