Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build isn't booting

Options
  • 01-11-2020 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

hi all,

I recently bought an Asrock J4105M motherboard to build a new homeserver/NAS.

But when I install the RAM and connect the PSU, the fans start to spin but no video. Even before I switch on/tap the power button (i tried both)

After some DuckDuckGo'ing, I tried:

- Resetting the BIOS
    - Another PSU
    - Connecting all the connectors of the case
    Nothing seemed to work

This board is apparently notorious for its finnicky RAM requirements.

Based on Crucials memory recommedations https://eu.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/asrock/j4105m I bought this:
    https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B08C4T5Q5B

It's not on the list of ASRock but they say that no more than 8 GB is possible but many people on the net claim this isn't true. Also I don't understand their list as it show memomry with 32GB in the part numbers anyway

https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/J4105M/index.asp#Memory

In short: does anyone use this board and what memory do you use? Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭jenneyk19

put one memory at a time

check all your connections

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Well, tbh there isn't much to install or to connect, the CPU is soldered and the video is on the CPU.

So I first tried inserting 2 DIMMS + ATX power connector and HDMI cable to monitor and this was the first time ever that WITHOUT touching the pins for the power button, when switching on the PSU, the fans start to whirl.

I tried removing one RAM stick as well and alternating the slots but always the same.

And I tried connecting everything (USB3 header, 1 SATA SSD, fans, HD Audio, power led, hdd led, reset button and power button. but it didn't matter

Developments and new problems:

I returned the memory and bought some new memory.
    This is recognised (16GB) and I boot into the BIOS.

The problem now is that I ALWAYS boot into the BIOS. It never goes past it.
    I can see the SATA drives and USB stick recognised in storage but in Boot Options I only see the USB stick, never the SATA drives and I can't change order.

Attached pictures.

Anyone any ideas what is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Why is AHCI greyed out?

Good point, I don't know why. I can't change it :(

In the BIOS is a BIOS upgrade option via Network. I will try that now

• Advertisement

Well I got it to work, I still don't know exactly why but I think it is UEFI related.

I booted from USB stick and installed Ubuntu server. First it failed when I created my own partition scheme. 2nd time it kept all the default (LVM + UEFI) and now I have a working machine.

What a hassle!

Advertisement