Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos selling bikes

Options
  • 01-11-2020 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Anyone buy a bike from argos? What is the quality like please.
    Looking at a Cross crx 500 for €200 for a runaround. Moved jobs so I'm 10 minutes away from the office and I'm currently using a 2020 defy advanced 2 which is not ideal.
    The 2nd hand market is shocking, heaps of crap out there that need work for stupid money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Decathlon have some half decent cheap bikes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You won't get a decent new bike (at the moment) unless you pay about 300 for it. Personally we've gone for the Halfords Parva @ 300 for a cheap bike with no suspension. This bike is usually 220 in Halfords regular sales. But this year is always been 300. I'd say something similar in Decathlon, you need to spend a bit more than usual for something decent.

Lots of second hand bikes look very badly maintained and rusty. Not worth the hassle. You have some sellers on adverts who have decent bikes but not much under 300.

For me I draw the line at anything with a quill stem as too old a design even as a hack. Unless you think the bike is very likely to nicked. Then you buy anything you consider disposable. In which case anything that moves is fair game for a 10 min cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

beauf wrote: »
    You won't get a decent new bike (at the moment) unless you pay about 300 for it. Personally we've gone for the Halfords Parva @ 300 for a cheap bike with no suspension. This bike is usually 220 in Halfords regular sales. But this year is always been 300. I'd say something similar in Decathlon, you need to spend a bit more than usual for something decent.

Lots of second hand bikes look very badly maintained and rusty. Not worth the hassle. You have some sellers on adverts who have decent bikes but not much under 300.

For me I draw the line at anything with a quill stem as too old a design even as a hack. Unless you think the bike is very likely to nicked. Then you buy anything you consider disposable. In which case anything that moves is fair game for a 10 min cycle.

I've seen a few of them Parvas second hand. Are they a good bike?

It's mad, 200 quid before March would have gotten you a decent bike. I sold a lapierre racer for 120 and it was immaculate, just a tad too big at the start of the year.

Now paddy who has a 20 year old diamondback rusting away in the shed it, is giving it a clean and banging air in the tyres selling it for 200 claiming its mint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

€200 will get you a perfectly functional fixed gear bike.

For 10 minute commute there isn't a better option in terms of price, maintenance, thieves,

Stick on mudguards/lights and your done

byrnem31 wrote: »
    I've seen a few of them Parvas second hand. Are they a good bike?

Like a modern version of 80s non suspension mtb bike.

Used they all seem neglected. I didn't see the value in a used one then having to fix it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,576 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as mentioned above, decathlon do bikes, and if you live near them they offer a maintenance service which argos don't.

i'd be wary of suspension on a bike that cheap, it'd probably be heavy and wallowy.

if it's just a runaround, this is simpler and cheaper:
    https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/riverside-100-hybrid-bike-black-en-s300787.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,576 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i will say that i'm seeing a few of those bikes areound and just can't get used to the bent top tube; i assume it's to facilitate step-through but it just looks ungainly.

Its a quill stem though which limits your options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Its a quill stem though which limits your options.
    For a 10 minute ride 'runabout', I can't see it being much of an issue for the OP.

Over looking at a trek at the moment advertised as very good condition.
    2 bald tyres on it and skipping gears. Fuming I am, waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

I wouldnt buy a new bike under 300, maybe a single speed. Youre simply just getting better value going 2nd hand
    I wouldnt look at bikes with quill stems freewheels locknuts for axles as theyre outdated standards
    And dont get me started on those cheap pogo stick suspensions

Even if paddy joe is selling is 20 year old rustbucket on adverts for 300 and it needs work. Point it out and haggle, needs new tyres 50+10€ labour new chain 20€ + 10€ labour etc. Also colpare it to simalar bikes that have sold on adverts

Heres a trek that might be nicehttps://touch.adverts.ie/mountain-bikes/trek-7-4-fx/21721639

Tony04 wrote: »
    I wouldnt buy a new bike under 300, maybe a single speed. Youre simply just getting better value going 2nd hand
    I wouldnt look at bikes with quill stems freewheels locknuts for axles as theyre outdated standards
    And dont get me started on those cheap pogo stick suspensions

Even if paddy joe is selling is 20 year old rustbucket on adverts for 300 and it needs work. Point it out and haggle, needs new tyres 50+10€ labour new chain 20€ + 10€ labour etc. Also colpare it to simalar bikes that have sold on adverts

Heres a trek that might be nicehttps://touch.adverts.ie/mountain-bikes/trek-7-4-fx/21721639

OK thanks. I've messaged him to see if he still has it. It's a bit weird though as it's a good bike for good money yet he hasnt sold it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

If you are in or around Dublin 18, try 'Re Cycle' on Facebook. They've just moved into bigger premises and they do repairs.

https://m.facebook.com/ReCycleDublin/

Needed a cheap basic mens bike over the summer when everything was either expensive or sold out, got one for €100 - all are reconditioned, a lot sourced from auctions in the UK.

They do kids and women's too.

If you are in or around Dublin 18, try 'Re Cycle' on Facebook. They've just moved into bigger premises and they do repairs.

https://m.facebook.com/ReCycleDublin/

Needed a cheap basic mens bike over the summer when everything was either expensive or sold out, got one for €100 - all are reconditioned, a lot sourced from auctions in the UK.

They do kids and women's too.

Thanks for that. There's another one called reliable bikes but the reviews are very mixed about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Just use the giant you have, if you can. That 2 to 300 quid will go a long way to keeping the Giant in good nick.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Thanks for that. There's another one called reliable bikes but the reviews are very mixed about them.

I have no links to the place but the guy who co owns it (Stacey i think his name is) seems a sound enough guy.

For a 10 minute ride 'runabout', I can't see it being much of an issue for the OP.

Well it usually limits how you can change it if you need to change height and reach. Also it usually means the rest of the bike is low quality. Unless it's older bike.

But yeah probably doesn't matter for a hack...

• Advertisement

Sold a fixie yesterday. A martello it was, death trap. I don't like fixies either way. I could be going from my office to walkinstown the odd time so will need something to get me back up the Greenhills Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭cletus

Sold a fixie yesterday. A martello it was, death trap. I don't like fixies either way. I could be going from my office to walkinstown the odd time so will need something to get me back up the Greenhills Road.

That bike in Decathlon is a sold as a single speed, although I think it has a flip flop hub

That Decathalon is a single speed. not a fixie.
    WANT TO SWITCH TO FIXIE?
    Please note, the bike is sold as a single speed. If you want to use it as a fixie, it has a flip/flop compatible rear hub. To switch to fixie mode, you need to buy the screw-on fixed cog (24 TPI threading, 1.37" diameter, standard) and the locknut (24 TPI, 1.29" diameter). Then turn the wheel. You can purchase these parts at our partner, ALLTRICKS: https://urlz.fr/bOx4

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

fat bloke wrote: »
    Just use the giant you have, if you can. That 2 to 300 quid will go a long way to keeping the Giant in good nick.
    Very true. But if your taking a bike out every day during the winter youd need a full rebuild service after it.
    New bottom bracket headset, cables and wheel bearings, chain will wear quicker etc. The advantage of a cheaper bike is cheaper parts and easier to service, no crazy expensive bottom bracket standards etc.
    If your clean your bike after every ride thats ok but for 10k of riding your probably spending more time cleaning than riding
    Although dont go to cheap to where everything would seize up obviously
    Also you not going to mind as much if your cheap bike isnt perfoming 100%
    Then theres the aspect of security. You dot mind as much about a cheaper bike etc. I live on a main road in dublin and keep my more expensive bikes in the house, cheaper bikes in the shed, i dont commute by bike but it would be easier for my to take out my cheap bike.

Although to be fair maybe i have bias towards n + 1 but in my opinion every person would benefit out of a cheap runaround bike

Obviously the solution is to buy a new ten grand bike, instantly justifying the use of the Defy as a cheap winter commuter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I have one of those Parva bikes, bought nearly 2 years ago, think it was on sale at the time so probably around the €220 that's been mentioned and I remember bring amazed at the value for money at the time. It is a cheap bike but I love it! I put a decent saddle on it, changed the handle bar stem and put some mudguards on it. I've taken it on a couple of holidays down to west Clare , down to Wexford, Moate to Mullingar greenway plus local country routes. It came into its own during lockdown for my short commute to work, exercise and leisure. I've had no problems with it, replaced wheel bearings and brake pads alright but after that I just keep it clean, lubricated and stored away when it's dry.

Next time out I will probably spend more and get something better but for the money it was the best value I could see out there. Any of the bikes I've seen for sale on Adverts etc have been rusty and obviously poorly maintained. I've got stung before with buying second hand so I'd rather buy new, unless I knew I was buying from an enthusiast who looked after their gear (like me!).

I found a nice little space in a security office to keep the defy safe. Only started the job the other day so still figuring it out. The last job wouldn't let me bring it near the building so I'm happy enough for now.

Had a blast on it this morning going down the main road from jobstown towards the n7. Lovely road to cycle on and turned at the roundabout back towards work.

Ill wait till after Christmas as I might get a better deal with everyone broke. I have ordered a 105 crankset for the defy to get rid of the generic one that's on it. It's an astechic thing to me but will be worth it.

No harm posting up what size frame you take, you'd never know who would have something for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Security could be quite a big factor though? For me, that'd be the main reason for a "commuter" depending on where it was being left.

Hopefully COVID Public Transport restrictions will have companies reassessing the needs of bike commuters though.

• Advertisement

No harm posting up what size frame you take, you'd never know who would have something for you.

M/L on the defy. 20 inch hybrid or there abouts.

Advertisement