Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta a España stage 12: Pola de Laviana to Alto de l'Angliru (109km)

Options
  • 01-11-2020 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭

A short and sharp stage today and after a bit of a damp squid yesterday from the GC guys then hopefully it will be fireworks today.

Also a lot of teams still without any stage wins/jerseys so expect a good fight for the breakaway.

https://racecenter.lavuelta.es/en

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭Thud

What time are they expected to hot the Angliru?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Thud wrote: »

About 16.45 according to https://www.lavuelta.es/en/stage-12

That's 15.45 Irish time as pointed out below!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Thud wrote: »

Id guess in approximately 3 hours from now, so tune in about 3.30 (irish time)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

About 16.45 according to https://www.lavuelta.es/en/stage-12

That's an hour off Irish time remeber!

My pick for today is Mas, I thought he looked good at the end of yesterday so hope to see him in a bid for the podium today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Roglic for me today . He’s getting better as it goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

With the rest day tomorrow and TT on Tuesday, today is the day the GC have to go balls out to put time into Roglic or kiss the red jersey goodbye.
    Roglic looks impervious thus far but that could all change around the last 3-4km. I have a suspicion Dan's slight weight advantage could pay dividends when things get above 15%. I don't expect to see anyone going at the first hard ramp, las Cabanes with about 6km to go and there's a long enough section of a steady 12%ish after that where people will try to get a rhythm going but once they round Cobayos and hit Cuenas Las Cabres then anyone who can make progress should go because if anyone starts to crack there they could lose minutes in the space of less than a kilometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Looking forward to the Angliru today. This will probably decide if Roglic wins the GC or not.

This is the type of mountain that someone could put time into him. However, I don't think that there is another rider in the peloton that's in good enough form to push him. Except for maybe Dan Martin. He doesn't look as banjaxed as the others to me. I don't think that he will go from distance though and, of course, Roglic will have team mates to set an infernal pace (™Sean Kelly).

Prediction: Dan Martin for the stage - I think that he will be let away near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Forgot to mention the descent off the Cordal just before the Angliru starts. It's absolutely lethal. Narrow, twisty, bumpy, steep and probably covered in leaves now. Contador broke from the pack there last time out and Nibali, one of the finest descenders there is, ended up in the ditch. It could very easily be a deciding factor in the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Doc07

Daroxtar wrote: »
    With the rest day tomorrow and TT on Tuesday, today is the day the GC have to go balls out to put time into Roglic or kiss the red jersey goodbye.

I hope that happens but apart from maybe Carapaz as a GT winner ,the rest will merely be hoping to preserve their current positions and wouldn’t consider they have a hope of putting in the required minutes into Roglic to make up for TT and therefore won’t risk cracking.
    Of course if Rog looks anyway weaker in the last 6km it could get interesting.
    Hopefully Dan can nick some more comfort time ahead of the TT from the likes of Carthy and Mas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Doc07 wrote: »
    I hope that happens but apart from maybe Carapaz as a GT winner ,the rest will merely be hoping to preserve their current positions and wouldn’t consider they have a hope of putting in the required minutes into Roglic to make up for TT and therefore won’t risk cracking.
    Of course if Rog looks anyway weaker in the last 6km it could get interesting.
    Hopefully Dan can nick some more comfort time ahead of the TT from the likes of Carthy and Mas

To be fair to Movistar, they do usually try something. It's unfortunate that 99% of the time their riders aren't up to the task of finishing their plans of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

They are looking good to get three riders in the top 10 again here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    To be fair to Movistar, they do usually try something. It's unfortunate that 99% of the time their riders aren't up to the task of finishing their plans of.

Yeah, but jesus, at least they try. And are setting a high pace right now. You have people moaning that teams are too conservative and they're the first to criticise Movistar.

Couple of comments along those lines the other day.

Itziger wrote: »
    Yeah, but jesus, at least they try. And are setting a high pace right now. You have people moaning that teams are too conservative and they're the first to criticise Movistar.

Couple of comments along those lines the other day.

I think the problem is "what is it they are trying to do?", other then getting the team prize I never understand their tactics. I do believe if they invested in one rider then they could challenge the GC but they never seem focused on the GC so makes their tactics always look strange.

Carapaz just had 1 support rider left.

Edit, he has 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I know Kirby and Lloyd sometime get a bit of a hard time here but have to say I am enjoying the banter between them today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

I think the problem is "what is it they are trying to do?", other then getting the team prize I never understand their tactics. I do believe if they invested in one rider then they could challenge the GC but they never seem focused on the GC so makes their tactics always look strange.

Maybe their sponsor just likes having their brand to the fore for TV exposure? Definitely the most visible team in terms of brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

I know Kirby and Lloyd sometime get a bit of a hard time here but have to say I am enjoying the banter between them today

He had a good one the other day in fairness when he talked about gadau trying to catch the guy out in front... "he's not waiting for gadau"

• Registered Users Posts: 38,458 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This getting insane already.

The last climb is a killer. It's about those than can dig deepest, nobody will look comfortable on this one.

I'll pick Poels due to his history.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just tuned in properly now. Fingers crossed for Dan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I'll be interested to see how far Froome gets up the Angliru in the lead group. Definitely looking better each day.

Sep Kuss to win

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

velo.2010 wrote: »
    I'll be interested to see how far Froome gets up the Angliru in the lead group. Definitely looking better each day.

Well, not very far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Froome turns on the motor to get back up the road after going back for bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Young rider from TJV in second wheel, he has had a savage couple of days.

Boscoirl wrote: »

He seems to be trying to keep with the Marc Soler group rather than taking it 'easy'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Boscoirl wrote: »

Just tagged on to the Soler group. Wasn’t sprinting back to the peloton

8k to go. Fireworks please!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,458 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's insane that TJV have five riders in this group this late on. It's ruining it for me. I want to see it down to contenders for the stage win and the Red jersey.

Fantastic shot of the mountain there on eurosport, looks insanely hard

• Advertisement

Dan is looking good

Advertisement