Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta a España stage 12: Pola de Laviana to Alto de l'Angliru (109km)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Feck it dan in 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭griffin100

What’s Dan’s TT like compared to Carthy? Only 3 secs off the podium.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Is there a combativity award in this? As Dan is basically racing alone here (not unlike Pogacar in TdF). If only he had a good TT.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Brilliant race. Absolutely incredible ride by Dan who looked gone at 4K to go

The side view of the top 7/8 riders basically standing still with 2k to go was amazing

Brilliant TV.

Or if Froome comes to life next week, he should really help his future team mate, Dan! make a shady deal like bygone days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Doc07

Dodge wrote: »
    Brilliant race. Absolutely incredible ride by Dan who looked gone at 4K to go

The side view of the top 7/8 riders basically standing still with 2k to go was amazing

Brilliant TV.

Great finale, only 26 seconds from 1st -7th. Dan was immense but can’t begrudge Carthy his podium spot if he holds on after his performance there.
    Hopefully they are similar in TT and Dan can put 10-20 seconds into him on the final mountain next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Fair f*cks to first four riders today. Maybe Mas might win something in the future. I forget what he's like at time trials. Can he pass out Martin on Tuesday?

He'll probably do big damage to Dan on Tuesday. On the somewhat similar though climbier Stage 20 TT in the TdF, Mas finished 9th putting 2:45 into Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

He'll probably do big damage to Dan on Tuesday. On the somewhat similar though climbier Stage 20 TT in the TdF, Mas finished 9th putting 2:45 into Dan.
    Ouch, 2.45!

Yeah, Dan for 5th probably in all fairness. But have we ever seen a fella that far up with that weak a team? There was a shot with about 60k to go of the back of the peloton and there were 3 Israeli lads FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Dan probably needed a couple of the other top 5 to crack today if he was going to finish on the podium in Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

But Dan wasn't racing for anything that day and Mas was chasing the all important Team Classification win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    But Dan wasn't racing for anything that day and Mas was chasing the all important Team Classification win.
    And in that TT Dan finished a minute and a half ahead of Carthy and two and a half minutes ahead of Carapaz.
    None of the three of them had anything to ride for that day but it does give a glimmer of hope for Dans podium chances

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Good call D - the voice of experience!

I just love that mountain. It's nearly killed me everytime I've gone up but I'm still hell bent on going back again. Had my flights sorted for this year too until things went awry. Roll on next year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Ineos duo of Sosa and Amador were amongst the last to finish today, really disappointing support for Carapaz.

Even Tee Jay Vangarderen came in ahead of them, yes he is actually here although today while scrolling the results is the first time I noticed!

Amador crashed and then had to cycle with a broken saddle for a while

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    And in that TT Dan finished a minute and a half ahead of Carthy and two and a half minutes ahead of Carapaz.
    None of the three of them had anything to ride for that day but it does give a glimmer of hope for Dans podium chances

So we're saying Dan for 2nd so?

Dan for the win. Roglic to get flashbacks on the TT and crack!

Weepsie wrote: »
    Dan for the win. Roglic to get flashbacks on the TT and crack!

The profile does look a bit like Les Planche des Belles Filles. So maybe.

Edit: I mean the profile of that stage, not of the climb itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

REBELSAFC wrote: »

Interesting. Although it is quite hard to measure guys who had nothing much ride for.

Carapaz was unusual in that he was chasing the KOM. So he generally took it very easy in the TT until the climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

Carthy finished 8th in a similar TT in last year's Giro. He's pretty good when he wants to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Don't think I've seen someone as ungainly and uncomfortable on a bike as Carthy, since the days of Voeckler. Seems to work though.
    Roglic is lucky to have Kuss, or he'd have shipped a lot longer than 10s. He could probably afford to lose a minute or more today though, as he should put that and more into Carapaz tomorrow. Would love to see Kuss have a crack at the Giro or something next year.
    Movistar in danger of not leading the Movistar classification, only 1.26 ahead of Jumbo now. No idea how that's calculated, as the top 3 JV riders are ahead of the top 3 MV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Great photo

YC3ggt7c9MFz7sMi99tQkd.jpg

(Image credit: Getty Images Sport)

With 10 kilometres to go, Marc Soler & Chris Froome were just losing touch with the lead group.

Soler finished 14'33" behind Hugh Carthy.
    Froome lost nearly 19 minutes! I reckon about 40 riders actually passed him out :eek:

I haven't a clue how they calculated it, or what TTs they have included or excluded, but this is what ProCyclingStats reckon the GC will be after the ITT on Tuesday

https://twitter.com/ProCyclingStats/status/1322977216851042305

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

There were many amazing scenes today............what a terrifyingly beautiful climb

531413.jpg

Great photo

YC3ggt7c9MFz7sMi99tQkd.jpg

(Image credit: Getty Images Sport)

I do like Carapaz's style when he is attacking. It's very aggressive and determined. When he is in the saddle I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

lsS2lic.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Doc07

Daroxtar wrote: »
    lsS2lic.jpg

For a minute I though that might have been poor Sam finishing in the dark today

Thats one for the mantle piece if ever I saw one Daroxtar!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Sepp kuss needs to lead a team !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

retalivity wrote: »
    Don't think I've seen someone as ungainly and uncomfortable on a bike as Carthy, since the days of Voeckler. Seems to work though.
    Roglic is lucky to have Kuss, or he'd have shipped a lot longer than 10s. He could probably afford to lose a minute or more today though, as he should put that and more into Carapaz tomorrow. Would love to see Kuss have a crack at the Giro or something next year.
    Movistar in danger of not leading the Movistar classification, only 1.26 ahead of Jumbo now. No idea how that's calculated, as the top 3 JV riders are ahead of the top 3 MV.

It’s computed every stage - top three daily finishers per team - as opposed to top three per team on overall GC..

Advertisement