Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate World Landmark Tournament

Options
  • 01-11-2020 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Varldens-mest-kanda-byggnader.jpg

Good afternoon and welcome. Today we announce this bumper competition! If you followed the Ultimate All-Ireland Landmark Tournament, you will know that these things can awaken a wanderlust and appreciation for things you never knew you had. Discover places you've never heard of, share the passion for those you have.

Basically we pit the best parts of nature and man-made creations from every corner of the earth against each other and see which is the ultimate favourite of everyone here. If you've never been involved in one of these before, by all means come and get involved.

So what I'm gonna do now is ask you to have a good think about what you'd like to nominate.

* All nominations must be sent to me via Private Message
    * You may nominate up to 3 landmarks per country.
    * All updates regarding format and start date will be posted on this thread so do keep an eye.

Until then, get those suggestions in and make sure your passport is in date!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Just a quick note. Just to make it uniform for myself, I'll be compiling the lists with regard to countries recognised by the United Nations. What this means is that if you're making nominations for England, Scotland or Wales, they'll be listed for United Kingdom. Likewise, anything proposed for Faroe Islands or Greenland will go under the banner for Denmark and so on. None of this is to cause controversy, just to make it easier for organisation.

Can we nominate landmarks from a country not UN recognised?

Also, are you going to have a limit on the amount of countries? Or you could be busy for a looooong time

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

bubblypop wrote: »
    Can we nominate landmarks from a country not UN recognised?

Yes you can nominate for unrecognised countries but what I mean is they’ll be listed under where they geographically stand or are recognised by the UN. So if you vote for something on Falkland Islands for example, it’ll be listed under UK. Something in Crimea would be Ukrainian and Tibet would be China. None of this is for controversy, just uniformity.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Also, are you going to have a limit on the amount of countries? Or you could be busy for a looooong time

I know! But look it’ll keep us all entertained for a bit hopefully. In for a penny, in for a pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Omackeral wrote: »
    I know! But look it’ll keep us all entertained for a bit hopefully. In for a penny, in for a pound.

My social diary is quite empty for the next few weeks.;)

• Advertisement

As it stands we have 43 countries nominated and over 100 landmarks sent in via PM. Don't be shy about adding your own. Don't feel pressured to submit them all at once, you can send them in dribs and drabs if you'd prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That's tomorrow written off, then.....

Gonna start compiling the list into order this evening so if you have any nominations you’d like to submit try get them in to me.

Right folks, gonna close nominations. This will kick off tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Good stuff, interested to see the format for this, regional qualification or country by country - I'd imagine a lot of countries won't have anywhere nominated though, especially the microstates and Pacific islands?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

That was quick! Are nominations open while we go along? (Until the end of round 1 anyway)

:eek:

Wasn't expecting it to close so quick! Is that it???

ETA - in the event there's still time to bung a suggestion or two in - is it literally landmarks from anywhere in the world? Or are you doing contintents first?

Omackeral wrote: »
    Right folks, gonna close nominations. This will kick off tonight!

what???

no way
    that was quick, literally spent this afternoon compiling my list!!

FYI, JohnGreenFan is running his SHEEP reveal this evening, and University Challenge and Only Connect are on - I'm not sure I have enough eyes/ hands/ screens to cope with everything :eek:

(I'm not trying to buy myself more time, honest!)

Here’s the deal. The nominations list is huge. I had divided all the entries into 8 subcontinents and plan was to crown a champion of each. However, when I counted up each nation, it astonishingly came to 64... the perfect tournament number!

So basically what that means is we will need to get through qualifiers and prelims for some of the bigger nations and then on to the tournament proper. One big world single elimination knockout cup!

If you’ve got a list of nominations, send me them. If it fits in to the nations already chosen, they’ll get in. All of the big guns are here. So get them in and we’ll be ready to bounce in a couple of hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

that's awesome Omackeral!!
    I haven't send any nominations but with 64 countries I expect that I will be covered!!

Are the Sea Stacks (or Coumshingaun or both) in btw?

cdeb wrote: »
    Are the Sea Stacks (or Coumshingaun or both) in btw?

I put the Dun Briste seastack in as an automatic nominee. That’s your only spoiler!

List is finalised. Hopefully ready to go within the half hour.

PS Bubblypop clear your inbox!

We are just about ready to kick off. Here's a quick rundown of the rules.

- Countries which have had only one landmark nominated will be deemed an automatic qualifier. You won't see these until the Knockout Stage.

- Countries which have had multiple nominees will have a national qualifier. The winner of these qualifiers will go on to represent their country.

- Countries which have had more than 7 nominees submitted will have a pair of preliminary matches, and then a qualifying play-off to find it's representative.

- All qualifiers, prelims and play-offs will have a time limit of 20 minutes and will be done alphabetically.

- Reasons aren't mandatory but highly encouraged. In the event of any draws, reasons provided for a choice will be used for tie-breakers.

- When all national qualifiers are done, we go to the 64 Nation World Tour Knockout Stage

• Advertisement

Iguazu Falls

iguazu.jpg?anchor=center&mode=crop&width=650&height=0&rnd=132150861810000000

VS

Perito Moreno Glacier

patagonia-tour-1507021474-785X440.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

FECK, starting on a toughie.

Gonna go for the glacier - there are better waterfalls around the world, imo anyways.

Hm. To save the falls for Brazil/Paraguay or put them through now just in case?

Or maybe Patagonia is better voted for under Chile.

Choices choices - and it's only the first tie!

Iguazu, by a whisker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The glacier for me, for the rarity value. We will see more waterfalls but that may be the only glacier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Perito Moreno Glacier

Yeah, what Necro said nice waterfall but not really special. As nice elsewhere but the glacier that's hot

Glacier - because to stand there and hear it groan and crack is just mind-blowing! And it goes on FOR EVER. And I've never seen that shade of blue-green anywhere else, ever.

(Disclaimer - I haven't visited the falls, they're on the list)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Can't believe I missed the nominations, life is hectic these days. Going to be a great competition.

Izguazu Falls for me there, vivid picture colourwise and I'd say the Glacier would he freezing to visit...hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Wow! That's a great opening match!
    Perito Moreno Glacier for me - there are lots of other waterfalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Perito Moreno Glacier, its pretty unique and might be the only glacier in this tournament

• Advertisement

Perito Moreno Glacier

It's a glacier, will be gone soon!

Advertisement