Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate World Landmark Tournament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Mont Saint Michel, looks like something out of a movie, it's really beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

France is so rich with sights I'd go to as many as I could so Mont Saint Michel

A very tough choice!
    I'll vote for the louvre, because the contents can keep you busy for days really, and the glass pyramid is epic

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

The lourve is the more famous of the I'd imagine, I was a bit underwelmed by it, though the pyramid entrence is kinda cool.

Going to stick my vote on the mont, never heard of it but it looks weird and wonderful. Would be interested to see how far it goes, could be a dark hourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Necro wrote: »
    I nominated The Louvre but I'm gonna vote Mont Saint Michel

Same as this for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

The Louvre isn't looking too strong at the minute but I'm voting for it either way.

I'll steal two other posters' reasons & say, I like the fact that it fits in well with the older buildings beside it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Mont Saint Michel advances and will represent France

We have a monster match for you coming up if you can hold on with us?!

Brandenburg Gate

624x468

Neuschwanstein Castle

5af08d0fbd96711e008b45e8?width=1100&format=jpeg&auto=webp

Marienplatz

Marienplatz-City-center-square.jpg

Berlin Wall

file-20191107-10930-1ozfrfj.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&q=45&auto=format&w=926&fit=clip

Christkindlesmarkt Nuremberg

Christkindlesmarkt_nuernberg.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Neuschwanstein Castle

To me, it's one of THE standout castles in the world, it's absolutely gorgeous.

• Advertisement

Brandenburg Gate. Iconic. They all are to be fair but that's the one that stands out for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Going to go with my nomination of Neuschwanstein here. Maybe the gloss is taken off it by being so close behind - and so similar to - Mont Saint Michel. But - look at it! The inspiration for the original Disney castle.

Neuschwanstein Castle
    A beautiful fairy tale castle

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

That castle looks class but gotta go with Brandenburg Gate, rich history and going back to that word iconic, well it really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Brandenburg Gate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

The castle looks so picturesque, but I'm going with the market because I love Christmas so why not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Neuschwanstein for me. Did a city break to Munich a couple of years ago mainly to visit the castle and it totally lived up to expectations in real life. There will be a lot of castles in this competition but I honestly think it's up there with the most iconic ones in the world.

Nearly went for the castle but its a 19th century "folly", rather than the real deal.

So Brandenburg Gate, iconic, the back drop to so many films.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I nominated Marienplatz, so I'm going to stick with that just for the fond memories of when I lived in Munich (it has a mean Christmas Market as well!)..... looks like it hasn't a hope against some big hitters..... it's another regret of mine that I never made it to see Neuschwanstein while I was there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Purgative wrote: »
    Nearly went for the castle but its a 19th century "folly", rather than the real deal.
    A teensy bit harsh!

It's a real 135-year-old castle built for a king. OK, he died before he got to live there, but it's not really a folly.

• Advertisement

cdeb wrote: »
    A teensy bit harsh!

It's a real 135-year-old castle built for a king. OK, he died before he got to live there, but it's not really a folly.

You're right I'm obviously getting a bit scratchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Neuschwanstein Castle - looks like something dreamed up on CGI

What a thread, I love it. Hated the Sydney opera house decision everything else that was nominated in Australia is better. Great country

I'll be booking the Faroes for a holiday when this Covid **** ****s off. Some inspirational ideas here.

This one is neck and neck with 5 minutes to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm going to go for the Berlin wall here - for what it represents and all the history and it saying a lot with no effort at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Brandenburg Gate.
    Berlin is one of my favourite cities in the world, and the location of the Gate is everything, great to see it from many different angles.

Would you believe it's another draw! So we'll go to a tie-breaker. Then after that we'll do Greece and call it a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Dammit, too late. Would have gone Neuschwanstein as the ultimate fairytale castle.

Let's get to it.
    Necro wrote: »
    Neuschwanstein Castle

To me, it's one of THE standout castles in the world, it's absolutely gorgeous.

1-0 to the Castle
    Candie wrote: »
    Brandenburg Gate. Iconic. They all are to be fair but that's the one that stands out for me.

1-1
    cdeb wrote: »
    Going to go with my nomination of Neuschwanstein here. Maybe the gloss is taken off it by being so close behind - and so similar to - Mont Saint Michel. But - look at it! The inspiration for the original Disney castle.

2-1 to the Castle
    bubblypop wrote: »
    Neuschwanstein Castle
    A beautiful fairy tale castle

3-1 to the Castle
    Kolido wrote: »
    That castle looks class but gotta go with Brandenburg Gate, rich history and going back to that word iconic, well it really is.

3-2
    ShaneU wrote: »
    Brandenburg Gate

No reason. No point awarded.
    Neuschwanstein for me. Did a city break to Munich a couple of years ago mainly to visit the castle and it totally lived up to expectations in real life. There will be a lot of castles in this competition but I honestly think it's up there with the most iconic ones in the world.

4-2 to the Castle
    Purgative wrote: »

So Brandenburg Gate, iconic, the back drop to so many films.

4-3
    duffman13 wrote: »
    Neuschwanstein Castle - looks like something dreamed up on CGI

What a thread, I love it. Hated the Sydney opera house decision everything else that was nominated in Australia is better. Great country.

5-3
    Irish Aris wrote: »
    Brandenburg Gate.
    Berlin is one of my favourite cities in the world, and the location of the Gate is everything, great to see it from many different angles.

5-4

Neuschwanstein Castle advances and will represent Germany

Santorini

Santorini-photo-1.jpg

Lindos

96696276.jpg

Old Town Rhodes

40oldtownstreet7.JPG

• Advertisement

Santorini, because Captain Corellil's Mandolin.

Advertisement