Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate World Landmark Tournament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Have to go for the Skelligs here - amazing, mind-blowing, utterly bonkers, absolutely beautiful, historic, unique..... and they're at sea. What more could a body ask for??

(Fastnet a very very close 2nd!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Fastnet making a shnakey appearance here! Good to see.

Still can't beat Coumshingaun for me though. But I think any of those would be worthy nominees from our part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

That's actually a fairly nasty match up to decide upon, they all have great qualities but I think I will have to go with....

Skellig Islands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Dun Briste as Necro said its already beaten the best the country had to offer so it should be our representative to the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I'd have to go with the Skelligs here. Luke Skywalker lived there ffs, what more do you need.

• Advertisement

Time to right some wrongs :)

Skellig Islands.

Out of this world, man made churches & steps & little housy things, out in the ocean, on rocks.
    How old? 1500 years or something?
    Amazing.
    If you like Mont St Michael, you have to be more impressed by this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Dun Briste - I still don't get what the fascination is with this, but I know it popular with other posters so I'll help out & give it a vote on behalf of anyone not around at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Dun Briste, as others have said, it won the Ireland landmark tournament so it deserves its place alongside the world's elite

Dun Briste - I still don't get what the fascination is with this, but I know it popular with other posters so I'll help out & give it a vote on behalf of anyone not around at the minute

Ah here...... ref!!!!!

Maybe you could see some attraction with one of the other nominations......................................

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    Time to right some wrongs :)

Skellig Islands.

Out of this world, man made churches & steps & little housy things, out in the ocean, on rocks.
    How old? 1500 years or something?
    Amazing.
    If you like Mont St Michael, you have to be more impressed by this!!

That's a great post actually.

If Omack allows it, I might change from the Lough (which I still love) to the Skelligs.

I know I've been trying my luck already on this thread, so if I've made my bed already, that's no worries! :)

bubblypop wrote: »
    Maybe you could see some attraction with one of the other nominations......................................

Wasnt really pushed on any of the others either :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Skelligs. Comparable to some of the world landmarks in a way the others aren't I think

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Ah here...... ref!!!!!

tenor.gif
    cdeb wrote: »
    If Omack allows it, I might change from the Lough (which I still love) to the Skelligs.

giphy.gif

The Skellig Islands advance and will represent Ireland

Just like the EU - keep asking the question till we get the right answer :)

cxiSvEQ.gif?noredirect

cdeb wrote: »
    Just like the EU - keep asking the question till we get the right answer :)

cxiSvEQ.gif?noredirect

:D

Next bout is monumental... literally. We're going to the premlims for this.

Colosseum

italy-rome-colosseum-visiting-highlights-tips-tours.jpg

Lake Garda

ITA_GAR_F0089WebOriginalCompressed.jpg?i10c=img.resize(width:658);img.crop(width:658%2Cheight:370)

Canals of Venice

Gondolaat-night.jpg

Roman Forum

Roman-Forum.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ah, just tuned in and missed Ireland :p
    But Italy is a good place to pick it up

I vote for the Forum, I preferred it to the Coliseum, although I think that's partly because it's so well known out was a little anti-climactic

Shame "food and wine" isn't a landmark though :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I don't think it will win but having been there in person I have to vote for

Lake Garda

Just an amazing setting, had a fabulous two weeks there with the family in 2018.

• Advertisement

I'm going with Venice - I haven't been & I know someone said here that it was a dump, but its somewhere I'd love to see. Before it ends up being a landmark of an abandoned area ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Lake Garda its the place I'd really like to go. I imagine a lot going on there with boats and paddle boards and lake side cafes. Lovely.

I like the idea of Venice but I can see that being quite stinky in the Summer.

The Colosseum and the Forum, cool , but once you've seen them ... that's it.

I've never been to Venice, so the Colosseum gets my vote.... I remember being completely awed by it when I first saw it years and years ago, and the way it's plonked right in the middle of a busy capital city is a bit mad!

Ooh, I'm going to go with Lake Garda, just as a whole destination area, it's fab, great lake, lovely villages.
    There's gonna be more ruins & fab buildings in the next prelim

And I particularly like the red wine from the North of Italy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Colosseum, finally somewhere I have visited, it is so impressive in person, beautiful. The drive to it on the bus is something I'll never forget

I studied Latin at school, so to sit in the Colosseum and look down on where people were killed by wild animals 2000 years ago while the Emperor himself looked on was cool.

I preferred it to the Forum, though obviously it has a similarly ancient history.

I think there's enough of lakes and canals elsewhere - Italy is about ancient architecture, so the Colosseum gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Lake Garda

Looks so tranquil.

Lake Garda advances to the Italy Qualifying Play-off

Pantheon

Pantheon-1.jpg

Leaning Tower of Pisa

636191149244091355-GettyImages-537365893.jpg?width=300&height=400&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

Catacombs of the Capuchins

72.jpg

Arena di Verona

arena-di-verona_Main.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Gonna go with

Leaning Tower of Pisa

Some day that thing is gonna fall over and I'll regret not going to see it :P

Advertisement