Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate World Landmark Tournament

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Four very solid nominations here actually. Tougher than the last one.

I've only been to the Pantheon out of those four, but it's spectacular inside. Wasn't aware of the Verona arena and it's on my list now! Pisa from what I've seen looks fantastic if you ignore the crowds. And the Catacombs speak for themselves

But I'll have to go with the Pantheon, cos I know it's great, whereas I just suspect the others are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Leaning Tower of Pisa unique, iconic, maybe its just the photo, but it looks very well looked after there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

I'll go with the Pisa - Although I'll be standing on the side that its not leaning towards :pac:

2 of my noms here, plus I love the catacombs.

Toss up really but I'll go with the Pantheon,
    because I was blown away first time I saw it, just walked around a corner & there was this huge building,.
    Just sitting in the square beside this ancient building, drinking wine (notice a pattern?) people watching. Great days.

Saw Pearl Jam in Verona arena once, fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Leaning Tower for me..... it looks every bit as mad in real life as it does in pictures - and I'll never forget the experience of climbing up the circular stairs around the walls, half of them practically vertical and the other half horizontal - or was like being on a slow motion fairground game yoke - it was head wrecking as well as leg wrecking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Leaning Tower of Pisa, I have always wanted to visit unfortunately I couldn't when I visited Rome on a school tour

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Yeah, has to be the Leaning Tower, its the one you know as a kid, easily the most iconic

Omackeral wrote: »
    Dynjandi

dynjandi-fjallfoss.jpg

Isafjordur

uwestfjords-%C3%ADsafj%C3%B6r%C3%B0ur-iceland.jpg?anchor=center&mode=crop&width=1020&height=638&slimmage=true&bgcolor=fff&format=jpg&rnd=131926288790000000

cdeb wrote: »
    Did no-one else nominate anything from Iceland?!
    I never got around to it, devastated now :(

My favourite place, had two great weeks there and would have nominated loads

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Leaning Tower of Pisa advances to the Italy Qualifying Play-off

Lake Garda

ITA_GAR_F0089WebOriginalCompressed.jpg?i10c=img.resize(width:658);img.crop(width:658%2Cheight:370)

VS

Leaning Tower of Pisa

636191149244091355-GettyImages-537365893.jpg?width=300&height=400&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

• Advertisement

Leaning Tower of Pisa

We're setting these guys up for later battle right?
    The Leaning Tower could beat any straight tower it comes up against. Eventually Garda will have to face Bled and it will lose...

Lake-Bled-Slovenia.jpg

...so there's no point it progressing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Lake Garda. Looks amazing and definitely on my to do list. I've been to the leaning tower and found it underwhelming to be honest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Omackeral wrote:
    Lake Garda

Sticking with it. Same reasoning, been there, swam and boated on the lake, just beautiful and picturesque

Leaning Tower of Pisa, its way more iconic and unique, and I'd personally prefer to visit it

Lake Garda
    Been to both, and for all round beauty & things to see and places to go, it has to be Lake Garda

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I don't think a lake should be representing Italy. Saw the Tower of Pisa on one of Michael Portillo's shows and was pleasantly surprised to see that it does look spectacular and not just another over-rated tourist photo. So Tower of Pisa for me.

Leaning tower for me, for the reasons given above

So I voted Pisa in last round but up against Lake Garda, I think I'll be switching over & going for Lake Garda. I think it far trumps the bent tower

Ok so we have a draw in a play off. Jeez. Also, everyone has provided good reasons both here and in the preliminary round. So I'm going to pick the best reason provided.
    Leaning Tower of Pisa

We're setting these guys up for later battle right?
    The Leaning Tower could beat any straight tower it comes up against. Eventually Garda will have to face Bled and it will lose...

...so there's no point it progressing!
    Lake Garda. Looks amazing and definitely on my to do list. I've been to the leaning tower and found it underwhelming to be honest.
    Necro wrote: »
    Sticking with it. Same reasoning, been there, swam and boated on the lake, just beautiful and picturesque
    bubblypop wrote: »
    Lake Garda
    Been to both, and for all round beauty & things to see and places to go, it has to be Lake Garda
    cdeb wrote: »
    I don't think a lake should be representing Italy. Saw the Tower of Pisa on one of Michael Portillo's shows and was pleasantly surprised to see that it does look spectacular and not just another over-rated tourist photo. So Tower of Pisa for me.
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Leaning tower for me, for the reasons given above
    So I voted Pisa in last round but up against Lake Garda, I think I'll be switching over & going for Lake Garda. I think it far trumps the bent tower

I'm going to choose Sawduck's simple yet hard to dispute reason here.

Sawduck wrote: »
    Leaning Tower of Pisa, its way more iconic and unique, and I'd personally prefer to visit it

The leaning tower is both unique and iconic. It is quintessentially an Italian landmark.

The Leaning Tower of Pisa advances and will represent Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 86,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement

We’ll kick proceedings back off around 8PM when we make our way to The Land of the Rising Sun.

We go live in under 10 minutes!

Himeji Castle

Himeji-Castle.jpg

Mount Fuji

a0002587_main.jpg

Kumano-Nachi Taisha

6450_61_main.jpg

Mount Fiji - it being a very impressive mountain and the only one of those I've heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Mount Fuji. I think it's the ultimate Japanese landmark really. Shibuya Crossing would be the other one that comes to mind but it's not in so it has to be Mount Fuji.

Himeji Castle
    I like the architecture style of it and how it stands out on the hilltop. Plus it's supposed to be haunted too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Himeji Castle it looks special. Its certainly different to European castles. And it was actually built as a castle rather than house - folly - wedding venue.

Wow Himeji castle!

It's getting my vote just because wow, need I say any more.

think this is my favourite category so far:)

Mt. Fuji

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Mount Fuji

Advertisement