Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate World Landmark Tournament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Sagrada Familia
    I have visited it twice, the first time I visited it I had never even heard of it beforehand and was amazed by its beauty. I don't think it's even fully built yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Very tough round but Ronda that bridge is fantastic, 120 m high, 40 odd years to build.

But I'd go and see them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Omackeral wrote: »
    Saudi Arabia has an automatic qualifier which we will see in Round 1

Chop Chop Square?!

I just noticed Spain is after South Africa alphabetically - hopefully someone remembered to nominate Table Mountain for the wildcard round, it deserves to be in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Ronda

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Chop Chop Square?!

I just noticed Spain is after South Africa alphabetically - hopefully someone remembered to nominate Table Mountain for the wildcard round, it deserves to be in there.
    Probably the huge clock in Mecca?

Tis interesting to see what's been left out alright. I've just realised we skipped Slovenia - so no Lake Bled? Also, nothing for Portugal? I was only there on a day trip, so I don't know what it would have, but there has to be something. Castle Dracula doesn't make it for Romania either.

There's plenty of scope for a second go at this using only countries that haven't been nominated in this tournament. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

cdeb wrote: »

Tis interesting to see what's been left out alright. I've just realised we skipped Slovenia - so no Lake Bled? Also, nothing for Portugal? I was only there on a day trip, so I don't know what it would have, but there has to be something. Castle Dracula doesn't make it for Romania either.

There's plenty of scope for a second go at this using only countries that haven't been nominated in this tournament. :)

Once Omackeral has had a long lie-down in a darkened room after this one, that's a smashing idea! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Guggenheim Museum

Sagrada Familia

Love the museum too, but this has long been a favourite of mine since long before I ever saw it in real life

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Once Omackeral has had a long lie-down in a darkened room after this one, that's a smashing idea! :D
    Only that Omack seems to enjoy running these so much, I'd be tempted to help out with a second go and let him experience the fun from the other side!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Sagrada Familia advances and will represent Spain

• Advertisement

cdeb wrote: »

I nominated that Slovenia & Romania landmarks, but I think it was just too late to get them in.
    Reckon even Omack was surprised how many nominations he got so quickly!!

I can reveal that Portugal, Slovenia and South Africa will be in the Wild Card Battle. The rest are surprises.

We're now 50 nations deep would you believe. That means 14 spots left in Round 1 up for grabs. 1 of those places will be via the Wild Card Battle. There's a triumvirate of automatic byes and a then a pair of matches requiring absolutely stacked preliminary bouts.

So with that said we'll park it off here and return tomorrow with some more great matches. Can you guess where we're off to next?

Hopefully Suriname or Swaziland, but probably Sweden?

Three big ones still to come in US, UK and UAE anyway I'd say.

Absolutely, a very exciting trio I must say. Very tough to call any of them.

Bonus match flying up now in a minute...

Turning Torso

turning-torso-malmo-sweden-dynamic-forms-architecture-photography-001.jpg

Øresund Bridge

oresund-bridge-tunnel.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Øresund Bridge

Looks deadly

• Advertisement

The building looks a bit like an IKEA project gone wrong.

So the bridge for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Øresund Bridge

Yeah defo the better option here.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Love that building -

But a bridge to an artificial island that then becomes a tunnel.... that's a whole other level! (Esp when you saw the dramatics over our little bit of tunnel!!)

Plus it looks great.

Bridge gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Turning Torso
    An unusual looking building with an unusual name, nice

I'll go for the Oresund. It's an impressive piece of engineering and also inspired a highly rated TV show, The Bridge.

Although, to be fair, the Turning Torso is also an impressive piece of engineering and design, but not quite on the same level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Øresund Bridge like a nice drive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

The Bridge- I'll second what others have said, the fact that it then goes underground is so cool

Lets go back to the beginning - The Bridge

Tak!

Øresund Bridge advances and will represent Sweden

• Advertisement

Normal will resume this evening after work. Around 8PM hopefully.

Advertisement