Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate World Landmark Tournament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Only 8 spots remain in Round 1. Next up we've a real heavyweight...

The World Islands

eaad1c5bd415f25a37e5c7ac5a59b3b6.jpg

Burj Al Arab

burj-box.jpg

The Palm

482d56fc14b6b35eae393f6001cccde2.jpg

Burj Khalifa

BurjKhalifa-02982_new_tcm290-85702.jpg

Ferrari World

ferrari-world-is-the.jpg

Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque

zayedmosque.ashx?h=450&w=750&hash=D649534F76F3D7C74A4E9AA3AB4442C7

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Holy God! :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Can we let them all through :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Burj Khalifa

• Advertisement

Jokes aside they're all pretty worthy.

Gonna go with The World Islands though, reclaimed land from the sea in the shape of the world - now that's a landmark!

The Palm

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Hm. This is tough - partly because there's so much variety there and it makes you ask "What is a landmark?" anyway. What am I voting for? The World is a cool idea, but you'd never see it except in photos. The mosque looks a bit plain tbh; there's better ones elsewhere (Samarkand springs to mind).

Burj Khalifa, though, really does stand out as a landmark. OK, inside it's mostly a plain shopping centre (though most of the shops are on steroids), but I think it's the one that stands out most for me here. Which I think is what I'm voting for! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Burj Khalifa - I watched a documentary years ago about those man made islands & what it takes to make them. Ridiculous. So for now I won't be voting for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Just shows what a few bob can do.

The Palm it is incredibly neat. Though I do worry about the environmental cost and the workers hurt building it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm going to go for the Burj Al'Arab..... because it looks like a sail, and I'd love to stay there!

Plus, it's the first of those mega middle eastern things I remember hearing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

The Palm, although I could easily pick any of these, I think the palm is genius though so I'll go with that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Burj Khalifa, but they're all great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I've been to Dubai recently and my mind was blown by the scale of everything.
    I will vote for Burj Khalifa. The building itself isn't wow amazing, but the view you get from the top and the constructions around it are wow amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Burj Khalifa being the tallest structure in the world, surely it needs to be in the main contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Burj Al Arab

There's just something about it that appeals to me more than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

This is really tough. The Emirates know how to build a landmark so there's a good few here that could go a long way in the competition.

Although, that said, The World has been a bit of a balls up from start to finish. The others are all strong though.

Ferrari World is a really striking building and I was blown away by the Grand Mosque, even though other people had hyped it up for me before I went it still didn't disappoint inside.

I'll have to go for the Burj Khalifa though, still the tallest building in the world I think, and pretty much the definition of what a landmark is. Really nice setting with the pond and the fountains at the bottom and the actual shopping centre it sticks out of is just endless. I'm going for it by a nose over the mosque.

It's all completely artificial obviously, but that's just the way the UAE is.

Anyway, final answer, Burj Khalifa.

Burj Khalifa - I watched a documentary years ago about those man made islands & what it takes to make them. Ridiculous. So for now I won't be voting for them.

What it takes to build everything there, modern day slaves from Bangladesh and Pakistan, unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

bubblypop wrote: »
    What it takes to build everything there, modern day slaves from Bangladesh and Pakistan, unfortunately

Yes, you see them getting herded around in rickety busses along the motorways when your there, they live in fairly cramped hostel style compounds away from the action. It's really not good at all. Although not as bad as Qatar.

bubblypop wrote: »

That & the environmental issues around it too

• Advertisement

Burj Khalifa advances and will represent United Arab Emirates

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Everything in UAE is over the top.
    Adjacent to the hotel I was staying there was a shopping center that has an artificial ski slop.
    My mind had a hard time comprehending this :) - I can imagine the energy needed to operate it.

Definitely among the strongest nations there without doubt. Tomorrow will see us visit the Allied Powers of the US and the UK so I'd expect some more really tough decisions. Such a vast array to choose from that both countries will require preliminary rounds. I'm very much looking forward to it and I hope you are too. Stay safe and we'll go again tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Do you know what time tomorrow you might be doing these, they both have some amazing landmarks

I'm in work from 8am to 8pm so probably after my shift. If I can sneak a match or two during the day I might, if I get a window of opportunity. I'd like as many as possible around for the big ones so I'll give notice either way. I'll know more tonmorrow morning when I see my work plan!

I also can't do it on my phone as my job won't allow me to bring my phone inside... the miserable ****s. Then again it is a prison so they're probably right :pac:

Right folks I have looked at my work detail and can get the next big one done. If I were to upload it at 11AM would people be around for that? If so just say yeah or give a thank. I'll gauge it from that. It's a mega match so don't want people missing it.

I'll be here!

I should be good for 11, I've to head out later so that suits me

• Advertisement

Cosmo, Necro and Sinead are all around. Good start!

Advertisement