Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate World Landmark Tournament

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Enjoying this one! I know there's about 15 countries we haven't seen yet, but still have no idea where the finalists are going to come from. I think in the Ireland one, it was obvious it was going to be an outdoors landmark, and barring the shock early departures of Glendalough and the Skelligs, the big hitters were there at the end. But there's too much variety here to make the same call. An interesting few days ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The Knockout stage for the tournament will start tomorrow. Won’t get a chance to give it attention today or this evening. I hope to see all the regulars here and maybe a few newbies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Omackeral wrote: »
    The Knockout stage for the tournament will start tomorrow. Won’t get a chance to give it attention today or this evening. I hope to see all the regulars here and maybe a few newbies too.
    Awwwww!

But yay, a day off will be nice too!!!

If I get a chance, I'll do up a list of the nominations similar to what I did for the Irish ones, just in case we ever get to travel again and people need ideas of where to go :(

Excellent! I'm actually putting together a second list of nominations cos I do think there's legs for a second tournament. Not necessarily immediately - but this tournament doesn't have Lake Bled, Petra, Juche Tower, Gate to Hell, Tiger's Nest monastery...

And I'll have a think about sports grounds as well cos I do think that's a good idea at some stage too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

cdeb wrote: »
    And I'll have a think about sports grounds as well cos I do think that's a good idea at some stage too :)

Oh well count me out of any sporting games, I won't have a clue about sports. I'd probably end up voting for the nicest colour jersey or something ridiculous like that :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Excellent! I'm actually putting together a second list of nominations cos I do think there's legs for a second tournament. Not necessarily immediately - but this tournament doesn't have Lake Bled, Petra, Juche Tower, Gate to Hell, Tiger's Nest monastery...

And only 1 entry from Brazil? I was there last year (the good oul days) and there's at least 3 in Rio alone. Wish I'd seen this thread at the very start.

Jordan has an automatic qualifier.

Sports ground would be a savage shout. Great scope. Best jersey too would be great.

Sports ground would be a savage shout. Great scope. Best jersey too would be great.
    Just to be clear - sports grounds wasn't my idea! I can't remember who earlier in the thread suggested it, but they deserve the kudos cos I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Best jersey would be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,733 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Bran Castle

Bran Castle advances to the Wild Card Qualification Play-off

Brest Hero Fortess is the Wild Card and will represent Belarus

Lost out to the hero fortress in the play off :)

• Advertisement

Today we kick off the Knockout Stages of the Ultimate World Landmark Tournament. We have 64 nations doing battle but only one will reign as best of them all. Before each round, there will be a draw made using a random generator. It really is pot luck. We could get two similar natural features squaring off or it could be a pair of duelling man-made creations. Could be nature vs civilization either. Nearest neighbours doing battle is as likely as antipodes (look it up if you need to :p) colliding.

All Round 1 matches will be 20 minutes long with the usual tie breakers in play.

So while I carry out the lottery, get yourselves ready for Round 1. We go live at 12:00.

Mount Everest (Nepal)

hith-7-things-you-should-know-about-mount-everest-2.jpg

VS

Machu Picchu (Peru)

45358507_303.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

OOF, tough one out the traps!

Going with

Machu Picchu

I'd be heading there first before Everest that's for certain!!

Oooh, you're very punctual!

Hmmmm.... I think Mount Everest has to shade it here - if ever there was a landmark, surely that's it??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

A tough one to start off with alright!

Mount Everest for me too, at the highest mountain in the world it's surely THE world landmark!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Two big hitters here, shame one has to go this early. Going to vote Everest, the height of mandkind, not much going to scale that.

Oh oh oh.

Big mountain vs smaller mountain with a city built 600 years ago....

Machu Picchu please

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Machu Picchu. Isn't Everest full of rubbish and dead bodies?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Machu Picchu.
    Iconic and the trademark of the Inca civilisation.

Machu Picchu advances to Round 2

• Advertisement

That was a cracking way to kick off the round. Two automatic qualifiers going head to head. Interestingly, nobody nominated either of them at all! I slotted them in myself at the very start fully expecting they'd be among the first few submitted.

Mitad Del Mundo (Ecuador)

mitad-del-mundo.jpg

VS

Dynjandi (Iceland)

dynjandi-fjallfoss.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Omackeral wrote:
    Dynjandi (Iceland)

Waterfall is the nicer feature in this one imo.

Iceland - I love a good waterfall. There’s something about them that just makes me smile and feel good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Dynjandi, Iceland for me too.
    Not the most impressive waterfall in the country, but I fell in love with the landscape in general.
    If it wasn't for the weather and the really long winter nights, Iceland would be a country that I would love to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Not heard of either and whilst I'm sure there is an interesting story behind that monument, the waterfall is just too dramatic not to get my vote.

Waterfall for me.

Kolido wrote: »
    I'm sure there is an interesting story behind that monument

It literally splits the world in two. Mitad Del Mundo means Half of the World. Everything on the N side is North of the Equator and S is South of it. You can see the Latitude on the bottom of it 0' 0' 0'

I'm going to plump for Ecuador here - I visited Greenwich, and did the old standing with one foot in each hemisphere thing - I'd love to do the same for the Equator!

Plus as waterfalls go, that one is not particularly impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Dynjandi
    Iceland in general is a beautiful country

• Advertisement

Dynjandi advances to Round 2

Advertisement