Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate World Landmark Tournament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I'm probably in the minority but neither are overly impressive (again I'm missing the story behind them so take my opinion with a pinch of salt), though I will give the bridge a vote as it is more landmarky imo.

Been to both.
    The bridge is nice, it's great to watch the divers go off it, it is a rebuild & the Irish had a big part in the rebuild.

Halong bay is beautiful, you can spend much longer there & there is more to do then in Mostar.

Looking at them, I prefer Halong Bay, so my vote for Vietnam pls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Ha-Long Bay
    This has always impressed me whenever I have seen it in movies or TV shows, unfortunately I have never been here

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Stari Most advances to Round 2

Coming up we have two smaller nations with automatic qualifiers. Stick around to see what's up momentarily.

• Advertisement

Without being biased, I'm gonna suggest you have a google image search of the first one coming up in the next match and have a little look at a few different images because it's tough to do it justice from just one. I've never personally seen nor heard of it myself until just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Omackeral wrote: »
    Without being biased, I'm gonna suggest you have a google image search of the first one coming up in the next match and have a little look at a few different images because it's tough to do it justice from just one. I've never personally seen nor heard of it myself until just now.
    Intriguing!

Marina Bay Sands (Singapore)

Marina-Bay-Sands.jpg

VS

Casemates du Bock (Luxembourg)

a49780f47856289bd7ddbe649945131eb0216220.jpg?w=800&h=800

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Two more of my nominations here. :)

Marina Bay Sands looks dramatic cos that's a fecking swimming pool on top.

But the Casemates are cool - a whole WWII-era warren of tunnels built into that rock. Gets my vote.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Is that a.. cruiseliner on top of a building?

Marina Bay Sands (Singapore)

Way more intriguing than the Luxembourg qualifier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Oh that hotel featured in that Race Across the World reality programme (or whatever it was called - pairs on a ridiculous budget legging it around the world anyway) - it looks INCREDIBLE!

I remember being in Luxembourg years and years and years ago, and seeing the Casemates listed in the guidebook, and I just couldn't muster up the energy to figure out what they were, never mind visit them.

So it's the hotel for me. Goes against all my usual instincts, but if I was anywhere near Singapore, I'd definitely be heading there for a look (and a cocktail on that roof!)

Marina Bay Sands

Ill go with this because I like to see modern architecture doing dramatic things

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Casemates du Bock (Luxembourg)

I just prefer the older stone work. Very pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Marina Bay looks awesome, gets my vote. I just love unique buildings, especially skyscrapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Marina Bay Sands. It's rare for a hotel to be a focal point for a whole country in the way the Marina Bay Sands is in Singapore. As pointed out by another poster the freight liner like thing on top is actually an infinity pool with views right across the city. It's an impressive building and a real landmark for Singapore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Marina Bay Sands.
    Absolutely magnificent.
    I regret not going when I visited Singapore 10 years ago, it is on the list for my next visit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Marina Bay Sands.
    One of the strangest looking hotels i have seen, but also one of the most interesting, if I'm ever visiting Singapore i will stay here

Singapore - I love looking at it when the Grand Prix is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Marina Bay Sands (Singapore). Googled it. Sweet baby Jebus that infinity pool!!

Marina Bay Sands advances to Round 2

• Advertisement

Next match is booked and ready to go.

Leaning Tower of Pisa (Italy)

636191149244091355-GettyImages-537365893.jpg?width=300&height=400&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

VS

Pripyat

original.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Pripyat. That ferris wheel always gives me the shivers.

Although extremely famous I found the leaning tower to be disappointing in reality.

The leaning tower of Pisa.

I love that you can position yourself for a photograph in such a way that it appears as though you’re trying to keep it from falling over.

Pripyat

The whole story behind it is chilling. Sitting there empty......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Because apparently, ferris wheels aren't cool

#notbitter #justicefortheeye

:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Ouch. Love these two also. I think there's more to Pripyat in that it's a 50k population city that you can wander around for hours, whereas the Tower - though it looks great (I've never been) is just a tower. Can you go into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Necro wrote: »

Because apparently, ferris wheels aren't cool

#notbitter #justicefortheeye

:pac:

I presume you refer to the London Eye? I have gone and found it a bit meh. . . until it reached the top and I got this amazing view of London. And then I spent a fortune in the store :D

I'll vote for Pisa as well, might not be super impressive, but sure is very unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,361 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The leaning tower of Pisa.

I love that you can position yourself for a photograph in such a way that it appears as though you’re trying to keep it from falling over.

Please god tell me this is sarcasm.

I'm going for Pripyat and one of the reasons is I hate those photos not that HBO Chernobyl hasn't created Insta clowns in hasmat suits.
    In truth the story of Pripyat has always fascinated me so that's my pick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Pripyat

The history of Chernobyl and what that ferris wheel symbolises.

Advertisement