Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate World Landmark Tournament

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

duffman13 wrote: »
    I'm sure that Hill of crosses is probably underwhelming in real life but it looks amazing so I'm going with that
    It is a little bit - the hill takes about 30 seconds to walk through - but it's nice all the same. I'm not sure "nice" will do the job for much longer here, but I think it's enough to beat the UFO restaurant in probably the weirdest bout so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Has to be the Hill Of Crosses there, real horror movie vibes at least from the pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Nominated both of these so this is tough.

After some thought I'm going to go with Hill of Crosses - it's quite original and different to anything else in the competition.

I suppose you could say that about the UFO tower as well to be fair, but Hill of Crosses is just slightly more off the wall, so I'll stick with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Bratislava UFO deck looks amazing and great for a snack,

A hill with crosses on - whoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Hill of Crosses (Lithuania)

Nothing else like it in the comp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Hill of Crosses.
    I read that this is a kind of religious ground, but there is a gothic feeling about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Hill of Crosses advances to Round 2

Pyramids of Giza (Egypt)

33-GettyImages-154260931-216706f.jpg?quality=90&resize=620%2C413

VS

Mont Saint Michel (France)

gettyimages-818591066.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ooooh this is a difficult one but I'mma go for

Pyramids of Giza (Egypt)

Both incredibly constructed but the pyramids are just that shade more impressive.

Mont Saint Michel.

The fact that there's a Pizza Hut and a KFC right opposite the pyramids (just behind where that photo was taken) kind of ruins the historic feel of the place for me.

• Advertisement

Tough choice, I'll go with Pyramids of Giza (Egypt)

They are just so famous, so historic, so old....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Pyramids of Giza (Egypt)

Both incredible but my fascination with all things Ancient Egypt wins this round.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Bloody heck. That's a serious battle. Neither would be out of place in the last 8 tbh.

I've been to the Mont and that first view is spectacular. Then the fun of a fully-functioning mediaeval old town - shops, hotels and all - beside the relative quiet of and the view from the top.

I haven't been to the pyramids, but I don't think they offer that same range. So the Mont for me, but this is the toughest decision yet

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Mont St Michel.

Reminds me of some books I used to read when I was a kid (couldn't tell you which ones though!)

Very romantic looking.

Mont Saint Michel. Its the real deal, not corrupted by fast food shops and stuff.

Fascinates me that it used the tides as defence. The island was accessible only at low tide. Because of this it remained unconquered throughout the one hundred years war.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Pyramids- As much as I actually prefare Mont Saint Michel, the Pyramids would be better known for a landmark title so I'll go for them for that reason

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Pyramids of Giza
    Both are wonderful but the Pyramids are slightly better, their history is quite interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Pyramids of Giza
    Iconic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Mont Saint Michel, just looks far cooler to me than the pyramids and again like others I'm put off by the KFC and Pizza Hut. It also has a Woman in Black feel to it on the mud plains, can you tell I'm a massive horror movie fan

Pyramids of Giza advance to Round 2

• Advertisement

Only two matches left in this round... hang tight.

The Dancing House (Czech Republic)

71458381.jpg

VS

Our Lady of the Rocks (Montenegro)

3b411b0da24314d257ff2e7cfa23182f.png

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Our Lady of the Rocks this time.

The dancing house looks like a poor man's Gaudi impression, not very well executed.

The church, and its setting, are absolutely beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Our Lady of the Rocks. Cool building, cool setting.

The Dancing House only counts as quirky in my book and I'm a little cross it knocked out the more historic Czech offerings.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Not gone on the dancing house whereas that church and setting is quite stunning

Our lady of the rocks. Lovely setting in the middle of Kotor Bay and an interesting back story as well.

Our Lady of The Rocks - more interesting story than the funky building

Set in kotor bay, one of my favourite places in the world. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Hmm a bit of a Meh round. I'll go for Our Lady of the Rocks. It looks cute sitting there all by itself. & the other building does nothing for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Our Lady of the Rocks

Advertisement