Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate World Landmark Tournament

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Our Lady of the Rocks - my Montenegro nomination of the Bay of Kotor was knocked out by it, but it's in the Bay of Kotor, so that's reason enough to stick with it here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Our Lady of the Rocks
    Very dramatic setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Our Lady of the Rocks advances to Round 2

That was a wild result, more than 10-0 with time remaining! You're not gonna wanna miss our 32nd and final match of the round. It's coming up right now.

Statue of Liberty (USA)

Statue-of-Liberty_tcm25-531714.jpg

VS

Christ the Redeemer (Brazil)

bf.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Oohhhhhhhhh...... lordy......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Christ the Redeemer (Brazil)

Tbh, I'm not mad blown away on either I think as landmarks their countries have better.

Both are equally iconic mind, both are world-renowned.

Going with The Redeemer as I'd love to be up there for that view alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Bloody hell. Need all 20 mins for this one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

This is a big one.

They're similar in a lot of ways but Christ the Redeemer, with that position on the hillside, overlooking the city, gets the vote for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Not much to choose between the statues, but the view from Christ the Redeemer is spectacular. Gets my vote

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Oohhhhhhhhh...... lordy......

Literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Statue of Liberty - not keen on religious statues. They're both iconic and I'm sure they both do their fair share in aiding navigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Think I'll go for Christ the Redeemer here.... both great big statues, both icons of their countries, both beautiful...... but Christ the Redeemer is on top of a mountain, looking down on the city, with all that panorama around..... that's gotta shade it.

Plus it's South America vs North America, and South wins that battle!

But that's a HARD one to choose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

This match would be worthy of the final.

It's Jesus for me. Rio is the last city I've visited (thanks covid). The view from the top is just spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Statue of Liberty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Statue of Liberty (USA)
    Toughest battle yet and I'd be happy with either one winning but I'll go with Statue of Liberty, one of the most iconic landmarks on earth, recognised by pretty much everyone

Equal for engineering.
    Equal as icons.
    Christ for the setting.
    Liberty for the symbolism.

Which leaves my gut. Oooh, the setting is so good. Go Christ!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Statue of Liberty.
    Very impressive and excellent location.

5 minutes remaining

Statue of Liberty (USA)

The statue is a figure of Libertas, a robed Roman liberty goddess. She holds a torch above her head with her right hand, and in her left hand carries a tabula ansata inscribed JULY IV MDCCLXXVI (July 4, 1776 in Roman numerals), the date of the U.S. Declaration of Independence. A broken shackle and chain lie at her feet as she walks forward, commemorating the recent national abolition of slavery.[8] After its dedication, the statue became an icon of freedom and of the United States, seen as a symbol of welcome to immigrants arriving by sea.

That's why :)

• Advertisement

Christ the Redeemer advances to Round 2

That was close!

USA 45%
    Brazil 55%

That concludes Round 1 and tonight's action. It's gonna be tougher decisions from here on out you would have to imagine. What do you consider the biggest shock exit? Which automatic qualifier were you happy or suprised to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Farewell miss liberty

NSFW

I think Mont Saint Michel going out was probably the most disappointing one. Otherwise no complaints, it's a strong looking line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Yep Mont Saint Michel a disappointment.

The Bratislava UFO thing wasn't great but to go out to that silly thing with the crosses well....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Angkor Wat going out was disappointing to see, also would have liked to have seen both Mont Saint Michel and Statue of Liberty go further

Glad to see the Taj Mahal made it through. If I'm on I'll give it a big write-up next time.

I don't think there's much left from North and Central America, probably partly to do with North America only being three countries whereas Europe is about 50 for a similar land area. Not as much built heritage in that part of the world as well.

• Advertisement

Round 2 will be kicking off later on tonight folks...

Advertisement