Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate World Landmark Tournament

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Petronas Towers (Malaysia)

Modern is *just* about better than old in this bout, Skybridge wins it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Petronas Towers. I saw the statue on Romesh Ranganathan's travel show and it didn't seem that impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Genghis Khan statue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Gengis Khan statue - 131ft tall. It looks magnificent.

Posh office blocks do nothing for me.

Ghengis Khan Statue (Mongolia)

Going for the big statue here, just like it more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Genghis Khan statue

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Mmmmmm. Hard one this.

There's landmarks I care about / want to see a LOT more than these two.

But I do love a good view, and I fancy the idea of the views from that joining bridge between the towers - and given they'll hardly let you up on the back of Ghengis to survey all around you, my vote goes to....

Petronas Towers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Ghengis Khan statue - There seems to be a trend lately of pulling down staues of people who have done bad things in the past. I don't think they should be there to be admired, but they should be left where they are because they are a reminder of where we have come from. So I'm stamping my foot & defending a statue!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

The towers for me, the statue looks cool but the towers look awesome. Buildings will likely win out in most battles for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Genghis Khan.

There's loads of tall buildings around the World, but that statue is kinda unique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The towers are big but not very imaginative so Ghengis khan in all his over the top glory for me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    given they'll hardly let you up on the back of Ghengis to survey all around you, my vote goes to....
    They do, by the way.

Or at least, you can walk out onto the horse's mane and look back at Khan staring you in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

cdeb wrote: »
    They do, by the way.

Or at least, you can walk out onto the horse's mane and look back at Khan staring you in the face.

Wowzers!!

I won't change my vote, but noted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Genghis Khan.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

cdeb wrote: »
    They do, by the way.

Got to be genghis on the strength of this then

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ghengis Khan Statue advances to Round 3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

But I do love a good view, and I fancy the idea of the views from that joining bridge between the towers - and given they'll hardly let you up on the back of Ghengis to survey all around you, my vote goes to....

Petronas Towers.

I would have voted the same for the same reason. But the 6pm start didn't suit me.

While there's a lull in proceedings...years ago, we had our Christmas party in The Standhouse Hotel beside the Curragh racecourse. There was a life-size statue of a horse outside, and a friend/colleague of mine somehow managed to hop onto the back of it. I say 'somehow' because my friend wasn't the most flexible, was never on a horse, and was also very drunk. :D

Just having dinner folks, next bout up shortly!

Pyramids of Giza (Egypt)

33-GettyImages-154260931-216706f.jpg?quality=90&resize=620%2C413

VS

Øresund Bridge (Sweden)

oresund-bridge-tunnel.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Omackeral wrote:
    Pyramids of Giza (Egypt)

Gotta be the pyramids though that tunnel is class

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Pyramids of Giza (Egypt)
    Has to be the Pyramids, they are iconic and known by everyone, the last remaining of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World

I'm sorry to be a complete Philistine, but that bridge just completely fascinates me!

The bridge has to get my vote.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Ancient wonder of the world > a (bloody cool) bridge.

Tough part of the draw now, so have to be cynical. Pyramids

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Pyramids of Giza (Egypt)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

The Bridge 6kms to an artificial island and then a tunnel.

I feel that the Pyramids are just bound to disapoint as they have not been respected or looked after - of course if I were in need of some fried chicken, I might change my mind.

Have to go with the pyramids here.
    Ancient, historic, immediately recognisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Again, KFC + Pizza Hut right across the road = one ruined historic landmark.

The bridge to the man made island which turns into a tunnel that connects Scandinavia to mainland Europe is an incredible piece of engineering.

So Oresund gets the vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

I'm torn because I know I'm supposed to be voting for best landmark, but I've been mostly voting for what I like instead.
    Hmm.

I should go for the pyramids but I'm going for The Bridge because I still think its so cool.
    Remember the Extreme Engineering programme. I'd love to see how it was made :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Pyramids
    So many movies watched

Advertisement