Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Multi room - Problem with signal in 1 of the rooms

• 01-11-2020 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭

We've had this recurring problem with Sky over the past few weeks. We have multi room and the signal in one of the rooms is perfect. The other one is hit and miss. Sometimes it's perfect, sometimes it's fuzzy and sometimes we get a message saying there's no satellite signal, despite the fact that we are getting a perfect signal in the other room at the same time.

I tried calling Sky to talk it through, but kept getting the runaround. I went through the various steps recommended in their online guide - checking the connections, etc. - but it didn't make any difference.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what might be causing the problem or can anyone help me find out how to actually get to talk to somebody in Sky about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

abff wrote: »
    We've had this recurring problem with Sky over the past few weeks. We have multi room and the signal in one of the rooms is perfect. The other one is hit and miss. Sometimes it's perfect, sometimes it's fuzzy and sometimes we get a message saying there's no satellite signal, despite the fact that we are getting a perfect signal in the other room at the same time.

I tried calling Sky to talk it through, but kept getting the runaround. I went through the various steps recommended in their online guide - checking the connections, etc. - but it didn't make any difference.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what might be causing the problem or can anyone help me find out how to actually get to talk to somebody in Sky about it?

I take it its Sky HD you have as opposed to Sky Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Yes, that’s correct. How did you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭Delta Lima

Could possibly be a bad connection between the box and the dish, either at the box, or at the LNB, or somewhere in between. If you have safe access to the dish, it might be worth redoing the connection, or trying a spare port on the LNB.

Or you could try the box with the dodgy signal in the other room, to rule out a problem with the box.

Thanks. I’ll try switching the boxes. What’s the LNB?

I finally got to talk to someone in Sky about the problems we’ve been having. He talked me through all the trouble shooting steps, most of which I had already tried. He concluded that I would need to get an engineer to call out. He said that this would cost €60 and that for the same cost, I could switch to Q and get two new boxes. He did a hard sell on Q, saying it is way better than what we currently have.

I agreed to talk it through with a sales rep, and was transferred through to someone in Ireland (the original guy was in the UK). Another long call and a lot of back and forth later, I agreed to go ahead. It’s will increase my monthly subscription by €19 (€12 extra for the basic service and loss of the €7 discount I have been getting on multi room. The engineer is due to call out to install it on Monday week.

I’m still in a cooling off period and would welcome people’s thoughts on whether it’s worth the extra. Also, the multi room seems to work differently on Q. We currently have 6 TVs in total hooked up to Sky, 3 on each of the boxes, although we really only use 3 out of the 6 on a regular basis. I’m told this won’t be possible with Q, but that it would be possible to move the second box from one room to another. I was also told that we could get a 3rd box for a further €60, with no additional monthly fee.

My concern about this change is twofold. Firstly, one of the TVs we have connected to Sky is in a Shomera at the back of our garden that we use as a gym. I like to watch TV (usually sports) while exercising. From what I was told, the secondary Q box is connected via WiFi and I wonder whether there could be an issue with being out of range of our WiFi network.

Secondly, how difficult is it to move the secondary box from one room to another? Is this quite simple, or is there lots of fiddling around with connections?

I’d love to hear from anyone who’s made the change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Sky Q is the biggest mistake we've made, abysmal, works half the time, a nightmare trying to link boxes.

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Sky Q is the biggest mistake we've made, abysmal, works half the time, a nightmare trying to link boxes.

That would certainly be a deal breaker for me. Maybe I need to take advantage of that cooling off period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

abff wrote: »
    That would certainly be a deal breaker for me. Maybe I need to take advantage of that cooling off period.

They're sending an "engineer" out, be here in 5 days, 5 DAYS!! No TV like, awful service. Once they have you and your money they don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

The 'engineer' in question is nothing to do with SKY.
    He's a poor subcontractor with one of the worst jobs in the world, equipped with probably about 3 and a half days training.
    He is self employed, probably for no more than 12 months.
    He supply's cable, tools, diesel, a suitable vehicle and his own labour and is vat registered.
    He contracts work off a middleman, a parasitic company prone to name changes, who profit off his hard work, who in turn answer to sky.
    Thats my take on it, ive honestly never installed sky, I almost did many years ago but the money was way too slack so I thought better of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭nhg

I was offered a free Sky Q box with free installation at the same monthly fee as our Basic Sky Plus when I rang to cancel, I was tempted but then told that our magic eye to another tv wouldn't work so I still cancelled, I was over 2 hrs on the phone with them but very happy that I cancelled.

• Advertisement
Advertisement