Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using GoMo or 48 for Mobile Broadband?

• 01-11-2020 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked or is a stupid question. I'm moving to a rented house and it will be short-term. All decent internet options are 12-month contracts so I've been looking at mobile broadband. I already have a Huawei E5576 hotspot device which was used with 3's rolling contract in the past. The device is unlocked. Would it be possible to get a SIM from GoMo or 48 and use it in this device just for the data? Or because they're are phone SIM cards will they not work? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

luisan wrote: »
    Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked or is a stupid question. I'm moving to a rented house and it will be short-term. All decent internet options are 12-month contracts so I've been looking at mobile broadband. I already have a Huawei E5576 hotspot device which was used with 3's rolling contract in the past. The device is unlocked. Would it be possible to get a SIM from GoMo or 48 and use it in this device just for the data? Or because they're are phone SIM cards will they not work? Thanks for your help.

Both will work fine. When you hit 120gb per month on gomo they will slow down your speed until the 1st of the following month.

On 48 when you get to 100gb data will stop working completely until your next months membership kicks in so gomo has a slight edge on it for that but is slightly more expensive.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9 luisan

DopeTech wrote: »
    Both will work fine. When you hit 120gb per month on gomo they will slow down your speed until the 1st of the following month.

On 48 when you get to 100gb data will stop working completely until your next months membership kicks in so gomo has a slight edge on it for that but is slightly more expensive.

That would be fine and thanks for your answer. But do you think the SIM would work in that device? Is there a difference between SIM cards used for mobile broadband plans with providers as opposed to SIM cards used for normal phone plans? Thanks.

That would be fine and thanks for your answer. But do you think the SIM would work in that device? Is there a difference between SIM cards used for mobile broadband plans with providers as opposed to SIM cards used for normal phone plans? Thanks.

No difference at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

When did GoMo up the data allowance to 120GB?

I signed up to the original €9.99 for life and it was 80GB but when I check the terms in my account now it says 120GB.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Simi

I signed up to the original €9.99 for life and it was 80GB but when I check the terms in my account now it says 120GB.

I hadn't noticed that. They've updated the fair usage policy under the terms and conditions also. A free 50% bump is pretty decent

• Advertisement

Simi wrote: »
    I hadn't noticed that. They've updated the fair usage policy under the terms and conditions also. A free 50% bump is pretty decent

It is great if it's legit. I initially thought the second wave @ 12.99 might have got the 120GB & the cheaper original offer of €9.99 got 80GB.

I don't use anywhere near 80 or 120 per month so I can't tell one way or the other.

Maybe someone on the original 80GB who goes over can confirm if the throttling kicks in @ 80 or 120GB

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Simi

It is great if it's legit. I initially thought the second wave @ 12.99 might have got the 120GB & the cheaper original offer of €9.99 got 80GB.

I don't use anywhere near 80 or 120 per month so I can't tell one way or the other.

Maybe someone on the original 80GB who goes over can confirm if the throttling kicks in @ 80 or 120GB

I'm on the original deal and don't have home broadband at the moment so I might go over 80gb this month. I'll report back if I do

Around the start of September when 48 launched their €7.99 deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Have gone over the 120gb easy done with smart tvs no issues still the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Hi all,

Three's €20 payg is best option if you see your usage going over 120GB/month, otherwise 48 (three network), GoMo (Eir) or Vodafone X(10Mb/s speed limit). I've tried 'phone' sim's from all the main operators in 4G routers and had no issues. Just be careful to set the APN correctly, especially with Vodafone.

Jim

• Advertisement

Update: I got a SIM from 48 and activated it. It doesn't work in the hotspot device but works fine with the actual phone. Any ideas?

Update: I got a SIM from 48 and activated it. It doesn't work in the hotspot device but works fine with the actual phone. Any ideas?

Have you set the APN correctly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

48months.liffeytelecom.com

Is the hotspot unlocked? Is there a sim pin on the sim you need to turn off? Did you check the apn settings on the router?

Is the hotspot unlocked? Is there a sim pin on the sim you need to turn off? Did you check the apn settings on the router?

Stupidly forgot all about the APN settings so set those up and all has been going well. However today the internet from it is barely usable. Getting less than 1Mbps on a speed test compared to my phone's hotspot providing over 60Mbps. Really not sure what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭pwllor

FYI,
    this is the test I have done back in September in Co. Waterford comparing Gomo and 48 speeds tethering on PC:
    https://pasteboard.co/JMFQ0MM.jpg
    https://pasteboard.co/JMFQjSf.jpg

Advertisement