Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4000 euro per sq metre extension estimate

Options
  • 01-11-2020 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Have a three bed semi in Dublin with converted attic, no side access .
    We were considering a 10 x 2.5 m rear extension to extend kitchen and living space . First floor bedroom extension to build over converted garage , 10 x 3 m.
    We had an architect over to look at the job and he threw out a figure of 95k plus vat for each part of the extension , so 190 k plus vat in total . Professional fees to cover architect / QS / engineer etc were coming in approx 26 k

Whatever about the professional fees , are the construction costs here very high ?
    Approx 214k including vat , works out at around 4000 per square meter . From reading the forum here , 2000 per square metre seems to be the average for Dublin ?

The architect said he would put the work out to tender , but if this is an accurate ballpark figure I’m not sure if we will proceed ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Not commenting on the price but will the wall of the converted garage take the additional load?
    How does it interface with neighbours?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

55 Sq. M extension.
    Everything through the house.that means deliveries, mini diggers opposed to larger. Every single nail and piece of timber, through the house.

Big labour cost to be added to your typical “average price for this” but in saying that I wouldn’t have expected 214k.

150ish would have been my guess.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

OP can you clarify exactly what works are being done to the existing house over and above the extension /conversion area.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭descol

Best get a QS to go through it

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Calvin001

Agree with what Gunbo says.
    Costs per sqm are not accruate, and dont take account of the abnormal cost (i.e. the differences betwen your Project and the one that cost c.€2k per sqm).
    If the architect fees are a % of the build, then he will he on the higher side. However if his design is high end, and so is your tastes, then he may be at the right level.

If you have drawings, the only way to be sure is to have them priced up by a builder or qs.
    If you dont have drawings, you could also get a qs/builder in to give you an indication of costs, but be aware this is not based on a design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,991 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Gumbo wrote: »
    55 Sq. M extension.
    Everything through the house.that means deliveries, mini diggers opposed to larger. Every single nail and piece of timber, through the house.

Big labour cost to be added to your typical “average price for this” but in saying that I wouldn’t have expected 214k.

150ish would have been my guess.

Tbf.. I'd say most if not all extensions in Dublin are mini diggers as opposed to other. And materials through side entrance or right down the hallway isn't abnormal nails other otherwise.

This sounds quite expensive based on description. I'd be getting multiple quotes or a QS for this sort of spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

rooney30 wrote: »
    Have a three bed semi in Dublin with ..........Professional fees to cover architect / QS / engineer etc were coming in approx 26 k.......The architect said he would put the work out to tender , but if this is an accurate ballpark figure I’m not sure if we will proceed ?

Why ask us? Why not ask the QS you're paying for?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

listermint wrote: »
    Tbf.. I'd say most if not all extensions in Dublin are mini diggers as opposed to other. And materials through side entrance or right down the hallway isn't abnormal nails other otherwise.

This sounds quite expensive based on description. I'd be getting multiple quotes or a QS for this sort of spend.

Mini diggers = correct.
    The difference between going down a side entrance and through the house is the damage to internal finishes. Stair cases. Doors off. Frames. Door head heights a problem.

It 100% increases the price based on personal involvement in these types of jobs.

Multiple quotes or a QS doesn’t make sense either. You need both.
    The QS itemises the build and your multiple quotes price based on this itemised bill so you see where there are savings from one builder to another.

Advertisement