Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Package damaged by courier

Options
  • 01-11-2020 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

I know there are a lot of threads on similar topics but I'm wondering if I've taken the right course of action here?

I purchased something online from France a week or so ago. There were two items within. The courier contacted me by phone during the week to say that the box was dropped and one of the items (glass) is completely smashed. The other glass item is intact but as they're a pair it's not really much use to me.

They wanted to deliver it to me and have me take it up with the seller which sounded to me like they wanted to wash their hands of it. I told them to return it to the sender and he could take it up with them. I've since contacted the seller to inform them of the problem but they wouldn't be the most responsive.

Was this the correct course of action? Should I have accepted the package?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

According to French consumer law, you should refuse to accept the parcel and instruct the courier to return it to the seller; if it's not possible to refuse delivery, you should open the package in the presence of the courier and both sign a declaration as to the nature of the damage.

As a rule, it is (under French consumer law) the seller's responsibility to get your goods to you in good condition, and that includes making sure they are appropriately packed for the mode of delivery. However, there are some exceptions, most notably if the Conditions of Sale specify that the seller is acting as a third party negotiator (mainly for drop-shipping) and it's clearly stated that postage/delivery is at the buyer's risk.

If you want help in dealing with French customer service, drop me a PM. I live amongst them - I know how they think and speak! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Danger Fourpence

According to French consumer law, you should refuse to accept the parcel and instruct the courier to return it to the seller; if it's not possible to refuse delivery, you should open the package in the presence of the courier and both sign a declaration as to the nature of the damage.

As a rule, it is (under French consumer law) the seller's responsibility to get your goods to you in good condition, and that includes making sure they are appropriately packed for the mode of delivery. However, there are some exceptions, most notably if the Conditions of Sale specify that the seller is acting as a third party negotiator (mainly for drop-shipping) and it's clearly stated that postage/delivery is at the buyer's risk.

If you want help in dealing with French customer service, drop me a PM. I live amongst them - I know how they think and speak! :pac:

Awesome thank you. I believe that covers me!

Advertisement