Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel unwanted negative numbers

Options
  • 01-11-2020 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi folks
    I'm currently working on a college project. The lecturer has given us a template to follow on excel. Everything was fine up to a few rows. In the first column I enter a number in brackets such as (27). After around 70 odd rows the bloody numbers started turning negative like
    -27 after I hit enter. How can I sort it out?? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

(27) means -27 to excel.

The first 70 cells must be formatted as "text" to avoid this.

Pick a cell and right click on it. Select the "Format Cell" option and in the window that pops up change the cell formatting from "General" to "Text". This should set you right.

However, it won't fix any that you've input to date. If you want to enter (27) you need to change the cell formatting to text before you enter it.

Copy one of the correct cells and paste special ‘format’ on the whole column.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭daludo

Thanks guys, that explains a lot. I'll give it a go tomorrow ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Copy one of the correct cells and paste special ‘format’ on the whole column.

Very elegant solution! Nice.

Thanks guys, that explains a lot. I'll give it a go tomorrow ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

Worked a dream, thanks everyone

Advertisement