Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2020/21- Mod Notes OP [06/11/20]

Comments

• Robson99 wrote: »
    Maguire was shocking as well for the goal. He is an average defender who wouldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. We were all over the shop for the last 15 mins in the centre of defence. Lindelof while an average defender as well appears to have more organisational skills.

He was such a liability again last night.
    Completely out of position for the goal we conceded and does not organise his defence as a captain should.

He is so inaccurate in the air too. Had multiple chances to score from corners too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

BS. Play to the fecking whistle. Pogba was at fault for stopping and allowing Lookman a clear run with no pressure. Pogba was on Lookman, and Lookman scored without breaking sweat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73XHGZiYiWA

all on wan bissaka. no excuses for his position. if he is 3 yards forward where he should be, lookman is offside

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Our defence needs some serious work. Everyone can see the issues with Maguire wandering out of position, the lack of communication across the back 4, and AWB’s positional problems and weaknesses with diagonal balls. The same issues keep repeating themselves though, so what is being done to address them? Surely the coaches should be working on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

bangkok wrote: »

all on wan bissaka. no excuses for his position. if he is 3 yards forward where he should be, lookman is offside

Pogba is marking lookman and lets him go. Bailly is about 30cm further forward than AWB and jogs back.

AWB is at fault for playing Lookman on. Pogba is at fault for giving him an utterly free run and time to line up his shot with zero pressure.

To absolve pogba of blame is ridiculous and entirely unexpected from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Weepsie wrote: »
    Or Maguire dropped. Organisation starts with him and he's not up to it.

Bailley and Lindeloff played twice together this season and looked unphased entirely. Maguire has been veering from good and solid to woeful all season and he's the only consistent body there.

I'd drop him for Sunday anyway. Needs a break and needs to sit down and watch some tape of the organisational mess.

Maguire doesnt even need to be dropped. It's obvious he's 1st choice CB. Both Lindelof and Bailly have been given chances in the league to play alongside him. I'd like to see Tuanzebe given the same opportunity in the league.

People are looking for a new CB to be bought, but the answer to that position could well be sitting on the bench week in week out for United.

KH25 wrote: »
    Our defence needs some serious work. Everyone can see the issues with Maguire wandering out of position, the lack of communication across the back 4, and AWB’s positional problems and weaknesses with diagonal balls. The same issues keep repeating themselves though, so what is being done to address them? Surely the coaches should be working on it.

looks like the coaches want maguire pushing up the field, his passing is very good, we seem to be squeezing into midfield and giving our attackers better chances to score goals instead of sitting deep. we are currently 2nd highest scorers in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Pogba's recent form is solidifying my opinion that he poor applicaiton or form previously is because the team wasn't competing and was incapable of making a dent at the top of the table.

I think Pogba is playing well now because he knows we have a chance of winning the league.

That doesn't excuse his performances when things aren't going our way - but I'm convinced he has been previously demotivated by the clubs inability to compete.

I think it’s a fair point actually.

If they’re another good thing to come I still think Pogba can get another 10-15% better too. I don’t even think we have seen the very best of him yet. That’s a good or bad thing depending which way you look at it.

It is definitely his best period at the club in my opinion. Hope it continues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Whole defence (minus Shaw) and Pogba were at fault for the goal but I'd put most blame on Maguire for being too far left and 5 yards ahead of everyone else. Two centre backs 5 minutes into the game being 40 yards apart is unacceptable.

Whole defence (minus Shaw) and Pogba were at fault for the goal but I'd put most blame on Maguire for being too far left and 5 yards ahead of everyone else. Two centre backs 5 minutes into the game being 40 yards apart is unacceptable.

He was covering the other central attacker to the left, rightly or wrongly. Maybe should have left it to Shaw but Shaw was looking at the widest player too. I dunno.

You could argue their positions prior to the ball being player as being wrong - but imo the players have to react to what is actually happening and not what should be happening.

Pogba was on Lookman. He knows Maguire isn't on him - so to let him go completely is unacceptable. Maybe Lookman still scores, cause he is quick but for Pogba to have him, and then give him yards of space by the time he is shooting... that is where I would concentrate. Play the whistle and argue offside or positioning afterwards.

It’s the gap Maguire leaves open which is worrying.

Forget about offside for a minute. No CB should be leaving that much space through the middle for opposition forwards to run onto.

Maguire is as much to blame as anyone. You cant just give a easy through ball like that. Schoolboy stuff.

• Advertisement

Forget about offside for a minute. No CB should be leaving that much space through the middle for opposition forwards to run onto.

Maguire is as much to blame as anyone. You cant just give a easy through ball like that. Schoolboy stuff.

But Pogba is in the defensive position on Lookman. If Maguire drops back it leaves the other fulham player free. In hindsight (absolutely) the correct thing to do - but Maguire is probably also considering that Pogba (on the man) and Bailly on the cover should be able to deal with it while he closes down another passing option in the attack.

The Pogba lets his man run clear and Bailly barely breaks into a jog is more to blame, imo.

Blaming Maguire on this, is a bit like when he got blamed for the IB goal in the CL, despite the fact he was up for a corner they broke on and he had no business being in a deep defensive position at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Exactly. What the **** is Maguire doing out there. Let Fred / Shaw deal with it. As I said he cannot organise a defence and never will . One of the reasons why we still need a top class centre half at the club. For 80 mill I would be expecting more from him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

If AWB is a foot further forward Baily plays him on.

But Pogba is in the defensive position on Lookman. If Maguire drops back it leaves the other fulham player free. In hindsight (absolutely) the correct thing to do - but Maguire is probably also considering that Pogba (on the man) and Bailly on the cover should be able to deal with it while he closes down another passing option in the attack.

The Pogba lets his man run clear and Bailly barely breaks into a jog is more to blame, imo.

Blaming Maguire on this, is a bit like when he got blamed for the IB goal in the CL, despite the fact he was up for a corner they broke on and he had no business being in a deep defensive position at that point.

I can see your point but Maguire is still in a position( or is moving away) from the danger. He is going to his left when

1. That’s Shaws worry
    2. He is creating a huge gap in space.
    3. Even if the guy Maguire is going to does get the ball it’s not in dangerous position. Not anywhere near as dangerous as the goal scorer through the centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

KH25 wrote: »

These aren't kids, they are international footballers who really shouldn't need to be coached how to organise themselves in a back 4 at this stage. It might be a coaching problem but it is more than likely a defending problem, by the individuals concerned, imo.

There are a lot to blame for the Fulham goal last night but in any team I've played, it's the CB's that organise ahead of them. Book stops with them, and even more so if one has the armband.

Maguire and Bailly were miles apart, that was criminal. Maguire tried to snuff out a short pass that didn't happen, in an area of no danger, completely needless. Bailly and AWB should have been squeezing over to cover this mistake.

Pogba should have tracked his man but that man is usually handed off to your CB in that position but Maguire had gone walkies. In Pogba's defence, he played the offside trap but hadn't got the time to be checking if Bailly and AWB were doing their job. Regardless, he shouldn't stop.

And of course, AWB could have made it all right by being more alert and playing offside.

To continue on the blame game, you could throw in DDG for not narrowing down the angle a lot sooner.

But it's the CBs for me who need to sort themselves out above all others.

I'm not sure how much work can be done with them tbh. Maguire made his name in teams that sat back more than anything. I think he gets found out when playing a high line. Not saying he's terrible but he needs a good, alert and pacey partner beside him. Bailly was that defender vs Burnley but wasn't that defender at the start of last night's match.

It's very hard to coach out individual mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He been brilliant of late but surely the first goal is as much Pogba's mistake as anyone,
    He just leaves his runner it's very lazy ,

Even if he though he would be off-side as to be fair couldn't see AWB position you still make sure your close just encase , There was no need for him to stop and hold his hand up

He points at Bailly for some reason at the start sure if its to say take the runner or to say he is mine ,

I can see your point but Maguire is still in a position( or is moving away) from the danger. He is going to his left when

1. That’s Shaws worry
    2. He is creating a huge gap in space.
    3. Even if the guy Maguire is going to does get the ball it’s not in dangerous position. Not anywhere near as dangerous as the goal scorer through the centre.

1. as the move progresses it becomes a Maguire thing, but probably because he is standing there. I think Shaw might have left him to that player cause he was there. There is a wide player but Shaw can probably track the inside guy and revert wide if needed. So yeah, while I argue maguire is dealing with a player, its probably one he could have left to shaw.
    2. he creates a gap yes, but Pogba is in that space and Bally should be on the cover for that ball too, regardless of where Maguire was. Even if Maguire was swapped with Pogba, Bailly needs to be on the cover, imo.
    3. Agreed, ultimeately, Maguire and Pogba should probably be swapped in how it ended up - but even if they had been - if Maguire had reacted the same way Pogba did I'd be blowing up at Maguire for letting his man run clear.

My basic point is the players were where they were, marking who they were marking.

The guy who Pogba was tracking (does he try to hand him off to Bailly? He points at.... no one?) ran clear when Pogba basically stopped rather than keeping close and had a free run on goal.

based on where the players ended up as the ball was played.

1. AWB plays him onside.
    2. Pogba lets him run free, just stops tracking or marking him.
    3. Bailly jogs back rather than sprint to try close off attacker on the cover.

If Pogba tracks and Bailly immiately sprints on the cover, we have a better chance of putting pressure on the shot.

Even if he though he would be off-side as to be fair couldn't see AWB position you still make sure your close just encase , There was no need for him to stop and hold his hand up

In the age of Var you don't have to leave a big gap so the ref sees it. Pogba could have been an inch behind his step and if AWB had been up inline offside would have been called by the VAR.

As you say, no need (or excuse) for him stopping. In an ideal scenario Lookman is not his problem, but you don't get to say 'not my problem' when things unfold as they did.

(not arguing against your post, I am agreeing and expanding my thoughts)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

1. as the move progresses it becomes a Maguire thing, but probably because he is standing there. I think Shaw might have left him to that player cause he was there. There is a wide player but Shaw can probably track the inside guy and revert wide if needed. So yeah, while I argue maguire is dealing with a player, its probably one he could have left to shaw.
    2. he creates a gap yes, but Pogba is in that space and Bally should be on the cover for that ball too, regardless of where Maguire was. Even if Maguire was swapped with Pogba, Bailly needs to be on the cover, imo.
    3. Agreed, ultimeately, Maguire and Pogba should probably be swapped in how it ended up - but even if they had been - if Maguire had reacted the same way Pogba did I'd be blowing up at Maguire for letting his man run clear.

My basic point is the players were where they were, marking who they were marking.

The guy who Pogba was tracking (does he try to hand him off to Bailly? He points at.... no one?) ran clear when Pogba basically stopped rather than keeping close and had a free run on goal.

based on where the players ended up as the ball was played.

1. AWB plays him onside.
    2. Pogba lets him run free, just stops tracking or marking him.
    3. Bailly jogs back rather than sprint to try close off attacker on the cover.

If Pogba tracks and Bailly immiately sprints on the cover, we have a better chance of putting pressure on the shot.

I would say the following:

1. Maguire allows himself get drawn out of position, opening the passing channel.
    2. Bailly and Pogba don't seem to recognise this and play as if it's Maguire's channel to command, thus allowing the player in.
    3. AWB & Bailly are both too deep.

It was a multi-faceted failure. Lambasting any individual is pointless, it was a collection of mistakes.

Great pass through though...

(Like your response to yourdeadwright, not disagreeing with you, just kind of distilling my opinion on it)

• Advertisement

Luke Shaw very good as well, his corners and free kicks into the box are also excellent and have been for a while

I've enjoyed the discussion of their goal. I have my opinion on it and can see others. Nice to have an actual discussion with people pointing to their reasoning and explaining their position in a thought out manner. Rather than 'X is rubbish and needs to be binned'.

Luke Shaw very good as well, his corners and free kicks into the box are also excellent and have been for a while

Dunno - he keeps finding maguire on corners which is just a disaster. may as well be aiming at DDG. At least we'd still have possession!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I think Pogba is playing well now because he knows we have a chance of winning the league.

That doesn't excuse his performances when things aren't going our way - but I'm convinced he has been previously demotivated by the clubs inability to compete.

If true, its a terrible trait to have. One I wouldnt want in any player.

"when things get rough, shag off?"

I've enjoyed the discussion of their goal. I have my opinion on it and can see others. Nice to have an actual discussion with people pointing to their reasoning and explaining their position in a thought out manner. Rather than 'X is rubbish and needs to be binned'.

And while we understandably focus on our players failures, it was a very well worked and well taken goal.

I would say the following:

1. Maguire allows himself get drawn out of position, opening the passing channel.
    2. Bailly and Pogba don't seem to recognise this and play as if it's Maguire's channel to command, thus allowing the player in.
    3. AWB & Bailly are both too deep.

It was a multi-faceted failure. Lambasting any individual is pointless, it was a collection of mistakes.

Great pass through though...

(Like your response to yourdeadwright, not disagreeing with you, just kind of distilling my opinion on it)

I cant get on board with this post, makes the most sense. All were at fault to some degree.

Id throw Ole into the mix too as Maguire and AWB need a rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Pogba's recent form is solidifying my opinion that he poor applicaiton or form previously is because the team wasn't competing and was incapable of making a dent at the top of the table.

Doesn't say much for his character if true, rather than try and bring the team to the next level he throws his toys out of pram and then in spite of his own contributions, when there is a sniff of glory, he starts making an effort.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

And it's a regular occurence

And while we understandably focus on our players failures, it was a very well worked and well taken goal.

Lovely strike, took his chance. Had way too much time to set it up, Fulham should be asking questions about that. But it was a fab strike, keeper had no chance.

2 goals in 3 games, could have had another at Anfield. He is playing better and contributing more. Dont think he bossed the game now, he was good. Partially at fault for the goal.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

looks like the coaches want maguire pushing up the field, his passing is very good, we seem to be squeezing into midfield and giving our attackers better chances to score goals instead of sitting deep. we are currently 2nd highest scorers in the league

And the 12th best defence. That can't continue.

His passing is (and you love statistics, and it's backed up) absolutely no better than Lindeloffs. His long passing is generally worse too. There's zero reason for him to be way over to the left.
    Maguire doesnt even need to be dropped. It's obvious he's 1st choice CB. Both Lindelof and Bailly have been given chances in the league to play alongside him. I'd like to see Tuanzebe given the same opportunity in the league.

People are looking for a new CB to be bought, but the answer to that position could well be sitting on the bench week in week out for United.

But he's the only thing that hasn't changed and the same mistakes keep happening. That suggests to me he is a big part of the problem. He definitely has strengths, but he is not very good at communicating as far as I'm concerned.

If Ole ever wants to try a back 3 again, maybe all 3 need to play

Doesn't say much for his character if true, rather than try and bring the team to the next level he throws his toys out of pram and then in spite of his own contributions, when there is a sniff of glory, he starts making an effort.

His resurgence has come too late for me to want to keep him. Yeah, Im delighted he is playing better now, but I still want to see him and his parasite agent gone in the summer.

• Advertisement

Dunno - he keeps finding maguire on corners which is just a disaster. may as well be aiming at DDG. At least we'd still have possession!

maguire gets his head to a lot of the corners though, his corners are at least consistent and are hit with good pace and whip, been a long time since we had a decent corner taker. I would say Maguire himself is disappointed to not have ore goals. just the 1 goal for us and 1 for England this season but at least he is a threat

maguire gets his head to a lot of the corners though, his corners are at least consistent and are hit with good pace and whip, been a long time since we had a decent corner taker. I would say Maguire himself is disappointed to not have ore goals. just the 1 goal for us and 1 for England this season but at least he is a threat

that miss last night where he got a free run to an uncontested header was absolutely shocking. to not even force a save is inexcusable.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Lovely strike, took his chance. Had way too much time to set it up, Fulham should be asking questions about that. But it was a fab strike, keeper had no chance.

2 goals in 3 games, could have had another at Anfield. He is playing better and contributing more. Dont think he bossed the game now, he was good. Partially at fault for the goal.

the answer is he beat the two players that would have been closing that shot down with nice control and change of direction.

I meant their goal. It was a really good goal. Sure, we can look at the mistakes we made to allow them to score it, but they showed good movement, good anticipation, good recognition of opportunity, good passing and good finishing.

It doesn't mean we shouldn't consider what we did to allow it happen, but also - hats off, good goal for Fulham.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

that miss last night where he got a free run to an uncontested header was absolutely shocking. to not even force a save is inexcusable.

He’s simply not good enough at attacking headers. He’s grand when defending, but when attacking the ball could genuinely go anywhere. I’d much prefer to see us changing the target around at corners instead of always looking for Maguire. Not saying to never aim at him, but use other options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Id throw Ole into the mix too as Maguire and AWB need a rest.

Most of the last page is criticism of players & captain & manager, when we ground out yet another away win to go back top of the league.

All for having a debate, but why do a lot of posters want to focus on the negatives when there is so much to be positive about for the first time in a long, long time.

Sure, it's not all sunshine and lollipops but Jesus, it's like we're all looking for excuses to be miserable.

v3ttel wrote: »
    Most of the last page is criticism of players & captain & manager, when we ground out yet another away win to go back top of the league.

All for having a debate, but why do a lot of posters want to focus on the negatives when there is so much to be positive about for the first time in a long, long time.

Sure, it's not all sunshine and lollipops but Jesus, it's like we're all looking for excuses to be miserable.

I couldn't agree more. I think it's class we're dissecting a goal conceded as being the source of our problems, but it is nice to be doing that with 3 points won and sitting top of the table. We're half way through the season and very much in the mix for the title. This is where we want to be.

yea, like i said he should score a lot more with his head, its a serious skill to be able to score with your head, he gets his head to a lot of them but just no direction. Ronaldo is probably the greatest header of a ball there has ever been, he scores some ridiculous ones

yea or before a game its usually built up for Ole to fail when he has past test after test thrown at him.

we havent seen fight in the united team like this since Fergie was manager and everyone is buying into what Ole is trying to achieve, long may it continue

No conversation in the positive, we Irish area miserable bunch.

Like Im delighted we won, so is everyone and there are positives. But conversation around the positive only go so far as we usually all agree.

The negatives are always more debatable. Hence why the conversation lasts longer when we focus on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Weepsie wrote: »
    But he's the only thing that hasn't changed and the same mistakes keep happening. That suggests to me he is a big part of the problem. He definitely has strengths, but he is not very good at communicating as far as I'm concerned.

If Ole ever wants to try a back 3 again, maybe all 3 need to play

When you say all 3, do you mean Maguire, Lindelof and Bailly?

Do you think Tuanzebe should get a chance starting? I don't mean this to you, but I just notice Tuanzebe always seems to get forgotten about by fans when discussing CB options. I'm not sure why. He has show that he's got the potential to be a top CB. In my opinion with regular games he could be the best at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

Really hope all the important players are rested on Sunday. Normally I'd be in favour of going for the cup, but this season I don't see the point because the defenders have too many mistakes in them to win it. The same goes for the Europa league when it returns. Just use the squad and focus on the league.

When you say all 3, do you mean Maguire, Lindelof and Bailly?

Do you think Tuanzebe should get a chance starting? I don't mean this to you, but I just notice Tuanzebe always seems to get forgotten about by fans when discussing CB options. I'm not sure why. He has show that he's got the potential to be a top CB. In my opinion with regular games he could be the best at the club.

Not by me, I still have wet dreams about how he dealt with Mbappe.

I was raging he was missing from the next game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'd be happy to see more continuous rotation for the weekends game as opposed to playing 'the B team'. No more than 4/5 changes, get some fringe players involved but in a manner where they have an opportunity to actually showcase their worth.

No conversation in the positive, we Irish area miserable bunch.

Like Im delighted we won, so is everyone and there are positives. But conversation around the positive only go so far as we usually all agree.

The negatives are always more debatable. Hence why the conversation lasts longer when we focus on them.

also, negitives noticed vs Fulham are more likely to cost us over a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

tenor.gif

The great thing about this season, is Martial, Rashford and Greenwood are not on form at the moment, van de Beek is still waiting to get into the team and we have great options from the bench and yet we are top of the league.

Imagine those 3 regain their form along with Cavani playing well, we have a real chance at winning the league

The great thing about this season, is Martial, Rashford and Greenwood are not on form at the moment, van de Beek is still waiting to get into the team and we have great options from the bench and yet we are top of the league.

Imagine those 3 regain their form along with Cavani playing well, we have a real chance at winning the league

Imagine they continue to be inconsistant, and others form start to dip.

Or Bruno slips in the shower....

Ah misery.

• v3ttel wrote: »

Here's something positive... Edison Cavani
    What a great all round performance from him last night

Hope we keep him for another year. And hope he leads the line from now on.
    He's 33 not 43 the way some lads go on. Younger than Vardy I think.
    Martial is not fit for purpose in the lead striker role. Cavani owns that role now IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

I don't think there is another team in the league that would put up with performances like Martial is producing. Last night was the latest in a line of absolutely abysmal performances yet he still gets picked when fit. He is the next one to be shown the door in my opinion. Get what you can for him and let him go.

Fair enough Pogba is in a good vein of form but to be honest I still hope someone (PSG?) will come in for him in the summer and we will be rid of him too. Himself and Martial just cannot be relied upon to produce what should be a given for any pro ie. their best effort every time they pull on the shirt. I would argue that even a player in poor form should be working harder than every other player on the pitch and more often than not this will make up for a sub-standard performance(quality wise). Yet when Martial and Pogba are in bad runs their workrate falls off a cliff too. That is just a bad trait in a player and I find it hard to get behind players like that, always have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement