Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2020/21- Mod Notes OP [06/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I don't think there is another team in the league that would put up with performances like Martial is producing. Last night was the latest in a line of absolutely abysmal performances yet he still gets picked when fit. He is the next one to be shown the door in my opinion. Get what you can for him and let him go.

Fair enough Pogba is in a good vein of form but to be honest I still hope someone (PSG?) will come in for him in the summer and we will be rid of him too. Himself and Martial just cannot be relied upon to produce what should be a given for any pro ie. their best effort every time they pull on the shirt. I would argue that even a player in poor form should be working harder than every other player on the pitch and more often than not this will make up for a sub-standard performance(quality wise). Yet when Martial and Pogba are in bad runs their workrate falls off a cliff too. That is just a bad trait in a player and I find it hard to get behind players like that, always have.

Plus can him and Bruno fit comfortably in the same team? As long as he's there an in form you kind of have to play him, and it looks like that means bending the formation out of shape to accommodate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

I don't think there is another team in the league that would put up with performances like Martial is producing. Last night was the latest in a line of absolutely abysmal performances yet he still gets picked when fit. He is the next one to be shown the door in my opinion. Get what you can for him and let him go.

Fair enough Pogba is in a good vein of form but to be honest I still hope someone (PSG?) will come in for him in the summer and we will be rid of him too. Himself and Martial just cannot be relied upon to produce what should be a given for any pro ie. their best effort every time they pull on the shirt. I would argue that even a player in poor form should be working harder than every other player on the pitch and more often than not this will make up for a sub-standard performance(quality wise). Yet when Martial and Pogba are in bad runs their workrate falls off a cliff too. That is just a bad trait in a player and I find it hard to get behind players like that, always have.

There’s no club in the world that would buy Martial and pay his wages, no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Does anyone thing the europa league could have a negative impact on the league form if they get through a few rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

jamesbere wrote: »
    Does anyone thing the europa league could have a negative impact on the league form if they get through a few rounds.

I couldn't care less about the Europa League really. Play the players who need game time and kids. I'd rather go for the FA Cup over it really. If the team are good enough for top 4 which it is looking like, there's nothing that can be gained by flying big players around Europe and further risk them getting Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Here's something positive... Edison Cavani
    What a great all round performance from him last night

Hope we keep him for another year. And hope he leads the line from now on.
    He's 33 not 43 the way some lads go on. Younger than Vardy I think.
    Martial is not fit for purpose in the lead striker role. Cavani owns that role now IMO.

Martial just doesn't score that Utd first goal last night if he was the central forward. I can almost visualise his exasperated look to the sky as he is caught on his heels thinking of what might have been as a Fulham defender clears away the Areola parry.

While I was always confident of Cavani's movement being a major plus to the role I didn't envision his energy and work rate when the opposition defence have the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Should we not put out a strong team on Sunday. It might be the only silverware we potentially win this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

billyhead wrote: »
    Should we not put out a strong team on Sunday. It might be the only silverware we potentially win this year.

Opinions will vary, but I'd be shocked if Ole doesn't play his full strength team. He's incapable of doing otherwise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Opinions will vary, but I'd be shocked if Ole doesn't play his full strength team. He's incapable of doing otherwise...

think thats Harsh on Ole, his use of the squad has been very good in fairness.

on Sunday, its a tough one, if it was just a regular fa cup game against a lower prem league team or a championship side etc i think we would make a lot of changes, the fact it Liverpool and we are at home, he wont want to get knocked out by them. defo be a few changes as he has always done and done well in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

I've sort of ignored the whole VDB situation but it really is starting to become intriguing of what's ole's thought process

Is he not good enough?
    Not training well?
    Players in front of him are simply playing better.

If he doesn't get some game time in an FA cup tie you would really start to wonder wtf is going on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

bangkok wrote: »
    think thats Harsh on Ole, his use of the squad has been very good in fairness.

on Sunday, its a tough one, if it was just a regular fa cup game against a lower prem league team or a championship side etc i think we would make a lot of changes, the fact it Liverpool and we are at home, he wont want to get knocked out by them. defo be a few changes as he has always done and done well in fairness

one criticism of ole i have is his substitutions

took wayyyyy too long to change it against liverpool

was literally screaming at him to get martial off that pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I can't really see anything but a strong team being played. Ole knows United, and it's Liverpool!

I might put on the armchair sports scientist hat and worry about players game time, but I'd be a lot more worried if Ole sent out the B team against them... no matter what competition. He has a group of 17 or 18 players that he has been using, there'll be some rotation no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

akelly02 wrote: »

Thought last night was very late for changes as well - obviously we were leading but I thought we needed a change to the midfield set up earlier than he did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PARlance wrote: »
    I can't really see anything but a strong team being played. Ole knows United, and it's Liverpool!

I might put on the armchair sports scientist hat and worry about players game time, but I'd be a lot more worried if Ole sent out the B team against them... no matter what competition. He has a group of 17 or 18 players that he has been using, they're being some rotation no doubt.

I reckon we will see:

Henders, AWB, Maguire, Lindelof, Telles, McTominay, Matic, Bruno, Greenwood, Cavani, Rashford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I reckon we will see:

Henders, AWB, Maguire, Lindelof, Telles, McTominay, Matic, Bruno, Greenwood, Cavani, Rashford.

Ole is getting to Pep-like levels of rotation these days, it's getting very hard to know what he will go with.
    Not a criticism, far from it. He's rotating most positions very well imo.

I was sure we would see Telles last night with Shaw on 4 yellows and for him to be back in against Salah.
    Ditto DVB for Bruno on 4 yellows, but that would have been more of a surprise.

I don't think he favours Matic in a 2, he tends to play him as the sole defensive midfielder when we'll have most of the ball these days.... but honestly, I'm going to give up guessing soon.

I just hope he goes with Cavani as the main man from here in. I think Ole did wonders for the confidence of our front 3 last year, but I fear that his optimistic nature gets in the way of some hard calls with Martial and Rashford at times.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Henderson,
    Williams, Telles, Lindeloff/Bailley/Tuanzebe
    Matic McTominay Van de Beek
    Mata + 2 from Martial/Greenwood/James and Lingard.

That's what I'd go with.

Liverpool are a bit stuffed with injuries anyway, but they're playing tonight and have Spurs next week.

Klopp may very well start Salah and Mane so give the other defenders a chance to shine. Either way, they're going to go out with a similar game plan as ever.

We have a very, very winnable game on Wednesday, and put out a strong team against Sheffield to go and hockey them if at all possible. They're awful. Derby/Sunderland levels of awful. 1 good performance is all they've had. Ramsdale is also an appalling goalkeeper, and they have a big enough suspension I think against us.

Rojo on the brink of a move to Boca Juniors, more deadwood trimmed from the squad

akelly02 wrote: »

Why? He was they best of the front 3 for the time he was actually on the pitch.

Rubbish last night, but the Liverpool game was one of his tidier, effective games. No needless losing the ball, no standing around very still, neat passes. Bruno and Rashford were not remotely good on Sunday though.

It should only ever be Rashford or Martial, but not both at this stage, or Rashford on the left and Martial in the middle and stop changing them about. Neither are progressing in either position and they won't so long as they keep getting in each other's way.

I'd be in favour of selling Martial anyway, but Rashford still could make improvements. Small things would draw huge benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Massive win last night.

Just caught up on this thread. Such a strange atmosphere in here.

Bailly was the biggest culprit for their goal. Inexcusable from him.

Pogba and Maguire are in great form at the moment. Maguire was excellent vs Liverpool. The lengths some are going to critique Maguire is again, for a lack of a better word, strange.

How anyone can say Pogba was in any way poor last night is ridiculous. He was excellent, again.

Shaw is playing some of the best stuff of his career. Looks fit and is such a powerful runner.

Love Cavani. Shows how much we have missed a top class centre forward.

When it comes down to it I still think we will be in a battle for 3rd/4th but how I’d love to be wrong. City look like strong favourites to me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

that miss last night where he got a free run to an uncontested header was absolutely shocking. to not even force a save is inexcusable.

I have lost count of the amount of times he should have hit the target from a corner or free kick.

And then the one hard chance he gets against Burnley he scores. Even though it was ruled out for foul thought was a excellent header and should have stood. And that was the hardest in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Lord TSC wrote: »

It's Liverpool and no one gets what that means to the fans more than Ole so no way in hell he doesn't do what he can to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

You can't really criticise Ole too much on squad rotation anymore, think they said last night United have the most personnel changes in the league.

He has certainly learned from last season in that regard. Obviously he still relies on one or two, mainly Bruno, for obvious reasons and Bruno wants to play every minute.

Who was rotating Ronaldo and Messi in their prime? And who was criticised for not rotating them? Not saying Bruno is in their league or anything, but his impact upon United is pretty crucial, so can see why Ole plays him as much as he does.

The most frustrating thing about Ole is definitely on the subs front, a little too cautious and reactive for me.

The reason most of us want Bailly in the team with Maguire is his recovery pace for when Maguire goes walk about and that's what we needed him to do last night.

None of the back four was blameless though, for me Pogba was way down the list of people at fault for that goal, he's trying to pass him on to Bailly, who just shrugs. it looks bad alright, him pointing and stopping and for sure I'd prefer him to chase him down but he was never getting there and he's just not that type of player.

We do need a better defensive coach in the set-up and I joked about terry last night, but it could make a big difference. Apparently Rio would be interested, don't know if that would be a good idea or not, but they do need some better communication and organisation back there.

I agree with those critical of Maguire's leadership abilities, the back four can be all over the place and he's just not up to marshalling them.

Overall though, it's great watching United again for the first time in yonks and that is mostly down to Ole like it or not :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Rooney thinks we will win the title this year. Can't see it personally but you wouldn't rule it out in this crazy season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Big blow for City losing KDB to injury today and Aguero to Covid. Never one to wish injury on anyone but City losing their best player in KDB is obviously good for United currently.

He'll be missing WBA (away), Sheffield United (home), Burnley (away) - 3 games they should be winning with or without him and potentially the away Liverpool game.

City were IMO lucky to win that game last night, Villa played class and only a solid defence kept City a CS.

Lots of talk City will run away with the title but without an Aguero (Jesus is nowhere near him) to put the ball in the net and now KDB to create chances, they'll struggle for goals which like many other things this season, be a massive advantage to us.

Incredible position for United to be in right now and I'm loving it even if I feel title chances are minimal right now. Long may it continue lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Big blow for City losing KDB to injury today and Aguero to Covid. Never one to wish injury on anyone but City losing their best player in KDB is obviously good for United currently.

He'll be missing WBA (away), Sheffield United (home), Burnley (away) - 3 games they should be winning with or without him and potentially the away Liverpool game.

City were IMO lucky to win that game last night, Villa played class and only a solid defence kept City a CS.

Lots of talk City will run away with the title but without an Aguero (Jesus is nowhere near him) to put the ball in the net and now KDB to create chances, they'll struggle for goals which like many other things this season, be a massive advantage to us.

Incredible position for United to be in right now and I'm loving it even if I feel title chances are minimal right now. Long may it continue lads.

By 'He' do you mean KDB or Aguero missing the 3 games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

By 'He' do you mean KDB or Aguero missing the 3 games?

KDB. Aguero massively unknown what games he'll miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Don't think anyone has said City will run away with it have they? Think the general consensus is that nobody will run away with it but City are worthy favourites alright.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I commend Bruno's attitude for wanting to play every minute and I appreciate Ole seeing how important he is too.

Im just fearful of a short term gain (playing well in a win to Fulham) in him playing so much if he gets injured and is out for a few weeks or months because strain or tear of a muscle. Not that hes injury prone to be fair.

I would hate for him to miss a rake of games as they come so close together that an injury now could see you miss 4 games in 2 weeks while in previous seasons that might only be two games in 2 weeks.

[quote="All_in_Flynn;11

Pogba and Maguire are in great form at the moment. Maguire was excellent vs Liverpool. The lengths some are going to critique Maguire is again, for a lack of a better word, strange.

.[/quote]

Calling a spade a spade is not strange. He's making the same mistakes repeatedly. Same people heaping praise on him are jumping on anything Bailley and Lindeloff does.

Fact is, Bailley should never have been out in that position. He should have been more proactive though, and AwB more awake, but it all comes from Maguire's absolute thoughtless Sunday league type sticking with the man no matter what.

This is the same team who does bad zonal defending at set pieces

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Weepsie wrote: »
    Calling a spade a spade is not strange. He's making the same mistakes repeatedly. Same people heaping praise on him are jumping on anything Bailley and Lindeloff does.

Fact is, Bailley should never have been out in that position. He should have been more proactive though, and AwB more awake, but it all comes from Maguire's absolute thoughtless Sunday league type sticking with the man no matter what.

This is the same team who does bad zonal defending at set pieces

Have no issue with calling a spade a spade but that's not what's happening here.

Regardless if you think Maguire should have stepped out or not (I actually think this was planned), the fact is that Bailly can see the full picture and it's his responsibility then. He has completely shirked his responsibility. I haven't got a clue what was going on in his head.

You're overly critical and cannot objectively give him any praise. Maguire had a bad start to the season but he has been very very good recently in my opinion. In fact I think he is one of the most in form defenders in the league. He'd walk into any side with Man City being the only one where you'd have a case that he might not.

Have no issue with calling a spade a spade but that's not what's happening here.

Regardless if you think Maguire should have stepped out or not (I actually think this was planned), the fact is that Bailly can see the full picture and it's his responsibility then. He has completely shirked his responsibility. I haven't got a clue what was going on in his head.

You're overly critical and cannot objectively give him any praise. Maguire had a bad start to the season but he has been very very good recently in my opinion. In fact I think he is one of the most in form defenders in the league. He'd walk into any side with Man City being the only one where you'd have a case that he might not.

If it is tactical surely the tactic would be for all to move over though. Bailey looks like he hasn't a clue why Maguire is over there.

Maguire has been good and bad last few games. Liverpool he was good excepting an absolute brainless moment, that gets jumped on if it's Lindeloff Bailley.

He's not communication with his defence last night. He's not telling Shaw to push on,nor telling Bailley to cover. He's not holding any sort of line.

Bailley lead the line with interceptions, blocks, tackles and marginally better passing. Maguire looks like he is calm and assured but it belies the mistakes he has in him, and last night's was a very regular one.

I don't know too many teams or coaches who would tell a centre back to track a player out to the sideline when there is zero danger and fullback is there.

I've given him praise, but he's not some sort of sacred cow. It seems any mistake he makes his someone else's, or its tactics yet Bailley and Lindeloff are soft targets.

It's complete and utter bs, and up unt a few days ago this place had some balanced discussion about it. Something has changed.

Having a very good season for us and getting better as the season has gone on

https://mobile.twitter.com/StatmanDave/status/1351854486097076224?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1351854486097076224%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fthepeoplesperson.com%2F2021%2F01%2F20%2Fharry-maguire-is-top-premier-league-centre-back-in-three-key-areas-221389%2F

Someone let me know when we've moved on from deciding who to blame for the goal.

Exactly wrote: »
    Someone let me know when we've moved on from deciding who to blame for the goal.

I have.

By comparison our performance against Burnley is miles ahead of Liverpool's tonight.

They are dismal.

Burnely by far the better side.

City appear to be the team to beat not Pool.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I have.

By comparison our performance against Burnley is miles ahead of Liverpool's tonight.

They are dismal.

Burnely by far the better side.

City appear to be the team to beat not Pool.

Should be a man down, red card all day long. VAR is useless if it doesn't catch things like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

What team would you go with against Liverpool in the cup? Personally I'd go second string where possible. Dvb, Lingard, mata, Henderson, telles, Matic, James, tuanbeze or plenty of them anyway in the 11. Games coming thick and fast. If these lads are to be any use in random league games they need minutes. Others need a break.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    What team would you go with against Liverpool in the cup? Personally I'd go second string where possible. Dvb, Lingard, mata, Henderson, telles, Matic, James, tuanbeze or plenty of them anyway in the 11. Games coming thick and fast. If these lads are to be any use in random league games they need minutes. Others need a break.

No way man, it's Liverpool. I want to beat them every time we play them regardless of what else is going on.

Id be happy if Bruno, Harry, AWB, Martial and Rashford were rested.

Id like to see Axel, Donnie and Greenwood start.

No way man, it's Liverpool. I want to beat them every time we play them regardless of what else is going on.

I didn't say throw the game. I'm saying use the squad. I'm not sure it'll happen either. Will be interesting to see.

How on earth is that not a red? Fabinho looks directly at the Burnley striker and kicks him. Any other team in the league and he's sent off.

• Advertisement

I didn't say throw the game. I'm saying use the squad. I'm not sure it'll happen either. Will be interesting to see.

You didn't say throw the game but you want to start James and Lingard?:D

You didn't say throw the game but you want to start James and Lingard?

Well.... you got me on a technicality. I can't defend that :)

How on earth is that not a red? Fabinho looks directly at the Burnley striker and kicks him. Any other team in the league and he's sent off.

In reality it shouldnt be a card at all.

But in the letter of the law. ....

I think the ref made the sensible call. Common sense

Ashley Barnes....get the absolute in ya beaut.

Happy days are here again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Liverpool are cracking up. Lovely stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Is the Liverpool v Burnley game going to go our way. I can hard sit still on the sofa. Nearly there..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Cmon Burnley hold on !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Pipmae wrote: »
    Is the Liverpool v Burnley game going to go our way. I can hard sit still on the sofa. Nearly there..... ;)

We’re all hard at the score right now

Wow, get in there. Hold on Burnley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Wow, get in there. Hold on Burnley.

Meh... Haven't you heard, it's City's league title.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement