Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2020/21- Mod Notes OP [06/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Talk that United and Pogba will discuss a new contract when the season is over.
    That both sides want to concentrate on this season and not have contract talks as a distraction during what is turning into a big season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

RobertKK wrote: »
    That both sides want to concentrate on this season and not have contract talks as a distraction during what is turning into a big season.

Ie, Paulie wants to see what offers are out there and if nobody bites he may grace us with his presence for another few years. In the unlikely event we actually managed to win the league this year and he plays an important part in same, it strengthens his position regardless of what the outcome is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ah well that's nice. If only someone had told Pogba's agent the day before the biggest game of the season that this was the case.

• Ole and the Owners need to make an example of Pogba
    If he wants to stay then get the commitment now or off ya go I don't but the excuse that it cannot be tabled now.
    Don't pander to him and his awful agent as they wait till how the season plays out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Ole and the Owners need to make an example of Pogba
    If he wants to stay then get the commitment now or off ya go I don't but the excuse that it cannot be tabled now.
    Don't pander to him and his awful agent as they wait till how the season plays out

Nose and face comes to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭chris445

Weepsie wrote: »
    Also shows what a potential leveller covid can be.

Trent and Salah have been shadows of their usual selves since their diagnosis. Mane not quite as good. We know it took Pogba a good while to get into any sort of form after he had it, but we just assumed that was classic Pogba.

They had a remarkable run of what 2 years without serious injuries (Keita and Ox aside) and now can't seem to shake them at all.

It's another reason why I'd hope squad management is given serious consideration for the remainder of the season. We tripped over the line last year due to exhaustion and there are games in which Bruno, Rashford, Maguire, Pogba , AwB can be rested. Not all, 1 at a time.

Europa now needs to be second string a fair bit. Liverpool lost Jota in a dead rubber match that they didn't need to win.

Now would be a nice time to change the offside rule back too as Van Dijk is probably not injured if linesman are using their flags

I don't think its just injuries that are the problem for them though. The performance of the front 3 and the full backs has dropped dramatically too.
    Has anyone seen this article written back in September that anticipated that drop in performance based on another article called "Dangers of caffeine misuse in elite sport"

http://backpagefootball.com/why-liverpool-wont-win-the-premier-league-this-season/126313/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

With KDB out from Cityz Liverpools patchy form fine can get 26 points out of our next 9 games we should be there or thereabouts. We need to beat Arsenal, Everton and Chelsea and avoid a loss to City.

I'd happily sacrifice the FA cup and send the B team to the Europa League at this stage. Although I could understand Ole wanting to win a trophy.

In a packed season like this with no real rest for the players fatigue could make or break this season. With City and Liverpool having to play full strength sides for the Champions league they may rest players and slip up in the league.

Would like to see a Ball Playing DM signed too. With Pogba and Bruno getting forward more and more a good DM would allow evolve the attack so much more. Someone similar to Busquests would be ideal. It's the reason Iniesta and Xvai did what they did in that great Barca team..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

piplip87 wrote: »
    With KDB out from Cityz Liverpools patchy form fine can get 26 points out of our next 9 games we should be there or thereabouts. We need to beat Arsenal, Everton and Chelsea and avoid a loss to City.

I'd happily sacrifice the FA cup and send the B team to the Europa League at this stage. Although I could understand Ole wanting to win a trophy.

In a packed season like this with no real rest for the players fatigue could make or break this season. With City and Liverpool having to play full strength sides for the Champions league they may rest players and slip up in the league.

Would like to see a Ball Playing DM signed too. With Pogba and Bruno getting forward more and more a good DM would allow evolve the attack so much more. Someone similar to Busquests would be ideal. It's the reason Iniesta and Xvai did what they did in that great Barca team..

Eff the Europa. Should only be a concern if we didn't have a shot at top 4 and we are in complete control of our own destiny in that respect. If he wants to go hard for a trophy this year let it be the FA cup. Its played on weekends, other teams schedules are effected by it and its domestic rather than potential Thursday ball in far flung places.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Burnley have scored more goals and have more wins at Anfield this year than Liverpool and America has had two presidents since Liverpool last won at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

It would be interesting to know if the source of the leak is from United's side or Pogba/ Raiola's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

piplip87 wrote: »

Vardy also to be sidelined to have a hernia operation. Hopefully we don't get hit with any injuries and can take advantage of other teams injury concerns...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

I always kinda wondered about the etiquette for responses to fans from opposing teams that come on a teams thread on Boards...like a lot of people I would occasionally look in on opposing teams threads to see how they feel their team is doing but only rarely post on them.Just noticed a regular poster here from an opposing team denigrate Utd supporters on his/her teams thread.People tend to reply to said persons posts.
    Would definitely put me off ever engaging with said poster in Utd thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What thread is this again?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

pjohnson wrote: »
    What thread is this again?

Mod: I was wondering that last night tbh.

I have moved posts from today to the appropriate thread anyway

I always kinda wondered about the etiquette for responses to fans from opposing teams that come on a teams thread on Boards...like a lot of people I would occasionally look in on opposing teams threads to see how they feel their team is doing but only rarely post on them.Just noticed a regular poster here from an opposing team denigrate Utd supporters on his/her teams thread.People tend to reply to said persons posts.
    Would definitely put me off ever engaging with said poster in Utd thread.

Mod: I am not sure what post you refer to but it would be helpful if posters could report such posts and for posters in general to ignore posts they view as people on the wind up; seeking attention or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

DM_7 wrote: »
    Mod: I was wondering that last night tbh.

I have moved posts from today to the appropriate thread anyway

Mod: I am not sure what post you refer to but it would be helpful if posters could report such posts and for posters in general to ignore posts they view as people on the wind up; seeking attention or similar.

I posted a comment slating Liverpool players about a Yr ago in the man utd thread and recieved a flag/warning from a Liverpool mod

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Cotts72 wrote: »
    I posted a comment slating Liverpool players about a Yr ago in the man utd thread and recieved a flag/warning from a Liverpool mod

Mod:Okay, please PM a mod if you want to discuss moderation or mod notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Sancho with 2 assists for haaland tonight so far. Would love to see both of them at utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

bangkok wrote: »
    Sancho with 2 assists for haaland tonight so far. Would love to see both of them at utd

Not sure I’ll be able to cope if we can’t get at least one of them. Haaland is an absolute machine. I’d imagine City will be trying for him as the Aguero successor.

Sancho would compliment our current group really well I think and we are crying out for a RW. I’d still prefer Haaland if I could only have one of them. Reminds me a bit of RVN and has same attributes as Cavani too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I reckon Haalan will be at Dortmund another couple of seasons before he moves. If Sancho joined us in the summer and we do well next season it might help us getting Haaland here eventually too.

But both in one transfer window? Can't see that happening.

I reckon Haalan will be at Dortmund another couple of seasons before he moves. If Sancho joined us in the summer and we do well next season it might help us getting Haaland here eventually too.

But both in one transfer window? Can't see that happening.

The way Haaland is going he will be either looking for a transfer next summer or a huge pay increase as he is fast becoming one of the best strikers in the world.

Id say most of the work has already been completed with sancho transfer..

Be interesting to see if pogba leaves and we have to deal with riaola, could we ask about haaland then but i have the feeling utd wont deal with him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The way Haaland is going he will be either looking for a transfer next summer or a huge pay increase as he is fast becoming one of the best strikers in the world.

Id say most of the work has already been completed with sancho transfer..

Be interesting to see if pogba leaves and we have to deal with riaola, could we ask about haaland then but i have the feeling utd wont deal with him

can't see why he would sign a new contract next summer - he will be available for 67million the following summer on his current contract and will make massive wages and signing on fees that summer due to the relatively low price of the transfer. Signing a new contract is short term gain, with potential to make it difficult to leave after signing it.

can't see why he would sign a new contract next summer - he will be available for 67million the following summer on his current contract and will make massive wages and signing on fees that summer due to the relatively low price of the transfer. Signing a new contract is short term gain, with potential to make it difficult to leave after signing it.

Like suarez did at liverpool, signed a massive contract in december and then left that summer for barca. Few other players done things like that as well. Haaland will still get big money either way but might want an increase in wages now anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Anyone suggesting we go after Haaland must forget who is agent is????
    Cus going after him would be the stupidest idea we could come up with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Like suarez did at liverpool, signed a massive contract in december and then left that summer for barca. Few other players done things like that as well. Haaland will still get big money either way but might want an increase in wages now anyway

The point is if a player wants to leave the club and move to a bigger team with at least as much wages and far greater chance of winning trophies why would he sign a long term contract that makes it easier for the club to play hardball with teams looking to sign them? It doesn't benefit the player unless he is planning to have a career ending injury a few weeks after signing it.

And at Dortmund in particular, Haaland cant have failed to miss that Sancho apparently wanted the move to Man United last summer but Dortmund held out for frankly crazy money up front with no performance related components. Dortmund might have felt good in the short term from standing up to United and rubbing the clubs nose in it, but ultimately they are a selling club. Player's who want to be sold will have noticed that Dortmund prevented the move Sancho wanted. That has to affect their ability to extend contracts with the next big player they develop.

I've always felt this talk of 'gentleman agreements' with players signing contracts to allow the selling club to bargain harder is incredibly naive. Contracts aren't gentleman's agreements - they're legally enforceable. Promises can be easily broken, contracts are much more durable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Has Sancho's form picked up some?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

brinty wrote: »
    Anyone suggesting we go after Haaland must forget who is agent is????
    Cus going after him would be the stupidest idea we could come up with

I never understood Haaland bringing Raiola on board? He didn’t need him at all. Hottest property in World Football with his ex pro father guiding him then he gets Raiola in at the 11th hour to negotiate with potential new clubs.

Raiola got something like a €15m personal fee from Dortmund too?! Like tgst could be money in Haalands pocket.

Why do players of his ability beholden themselves to these leeches?

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Nunu wrote: »
    I never understood Haaland bringing Raiola on board? He didn’t need him at all. Hottest property in World Football with his ex pro father guiding him then he gets Raiola in at the 11th hour to negotiate with potential new clubs.

Raiola got something like a €15m personal fee from Dortmund too?! Like tgst could be money in Haalands pocket.

Why do players of his ability beholden themselves to these leeches?

But only raiola knows how to extort that type of fee. You get raiola, you get bigger commercial deals and big contracts.

His players all love him.

Has Sancho's form picked up some?

Well he was crap on Tuesday but very good last night.

His shooting seems to have gone to pot though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Weepsie wrote: »
    His shooting seems to have gone to pot though

We already have that in Rashford, do we need another?

• Advertisement

We already have that in Rashford, do we need another?

He is a creator of goals, a very good one at that too and would be excellent for our rw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

He's not worth €120m anyway

He is a creator of goals, a very good one at that too and would be excellent for our rw

He's going to cost alot for an erratic finisher. Rashford, Martial already at that craic. How long more can we rely on Fernandes to do the scoring, Cavani a natural finisher but presume he has 2 yrs left at most.

Sancho can't be the only RW out there

RasTa wrote: »
    He's not worth €120m anyway

No and thats why utd didnt pay it. I expect he will sign for around 90-100 next summer. He is prob the best player in his position in the world or at least one of the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Perisic > Sancho..... get him in now and we win the league.

Perisic > Sancho..... get him in now and we win the league.

Surely hes only going to go backwards? 31 or 32 at this stage and has relied on his pace all his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

No and thats why utd didnt pay it. I expect he will sign for around 90-100 next summer. He is prob the best player in his position in the world or at least one of the best

90-100 is still insane money, particularly in the Covid era. You can see that with the lack of deals being done now. I haven't really seen enough of him to comment but you'd want to be pretty certain he's a guaranteed consistent top level performer for that type of money.

Won't matter if it's Rashford or Martial up front though. At Dortmund he has always had players constantly moving and looking for space and coming from other wing or midfield and now Haaland.

We have Fernandes and that's it. Maybe Pogba sometimes to run from deep. We need a proper central focus to our attack nearly as much as Rw now. Rashford and Martial don't make it easy for anyone remotely creative.

If the fee is stil 90million they should be walking away. They can strengthen 2 positions at that and have a much better overall team as a result.

We don't even need someone with his numbers. Someone who will run at a full back, get up and down the line constantly if needed and support AwB. Someone who can cross obviously a big need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Surely hes only going to go backwards? 31 or 32 at this stage and has relied on his pace all his career.

Get him in for a year or two... I think he would cost less then 5million

BenK wrote: »
    90-100 is still insane money, particularly in the Covid era. You can see that with the lack of deals being done now. I haven't really seen enough of him to comment but you'd want to be pretty certain he's a guaranteed consistent top level performer for that type of money.

And also, Leroy sane, gundongan and KdB aside, not many players have come in from the Bundesliga and had much of an impact in the last decade. Pulisic is inconsistent, Werner and Havertz have not got going at all. We have experience with Mkhitaryan and Kagawa ourselves. Xhaka has the odd good game. Keita can't seem to cope with the increased intensity.

He's at his best in a counterattacking game, which might suit perfectly, but I'd prefer a more rounded player who can take hold of the ball, dribble and recognise when there's something not on to get it back to midfield or fullback.

Sancho has a habit of trying a trick or that little bit too much when he's being hemmed in. If it's a straight up race 1v1 he'll win, but when he has 2 defenders cutting off passing lines and forcing him back he will sometimes try a flick or nolook pass that's not on and he'd want to cut that out.

Get him in for a year or two... I think he would cost less then 5million

Ah jaysus if he came for a year or 2 at 5 million go for him surely. Seems ridiculously cheap though.

• Advertisement

BenK wrote: »

He is only 20 still and english. Have a look at him in the next game,he is very quick and has great feet, potential to solve our right wing problems for the next 10 years. He is still our no1 transfer target and i think we will get him come summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

If Pogba Stayed and applied himself and we added Sancho along with a world class CDM and Centre half do you guys still think we would need more ?

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    If Pogba Stayed and applied himself and we added Sancho along with a world class CDM and Centre half do you guys still think we would need more ?

Given Utds history with transfers you are probably looking at at least 3 transfer windows from this Summer on for all that to happen!!!

We are close as is so yes if we signed those 3 players you speak of and kept pogba we would be in a super position

Given Utds history with transfers you are probably looking at at least 3 transfer windows from this Summer on for all that to happen!!!

Need?No. Want?Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

And thats the big problem with the rebuild is that it's taking so long. 1-2 players a year isn't enough. By the time that list and a striker are brought in, existing players would need replacing with age, firm etc. Already AVB is climbing up the list for many to be replaced, and who's to say Bruno will be still performing in 2-3 years.
    At the moment, a striker, RW, DM, CB need major upgrades and probably CM if Pogba leaves. Thats 5 first team players, so at best 2 summers going on previous performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

We'd be looking at the winning the league and champions league with those additions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Haaland should be no 1 priority, not Sancho.

Presume Pogba will push again for a move in the summer so don't be planning round him.

Right mid definitely needs looking at but somebody, who can consistently score, is badly needed.

Rashford or Martial are not the answer to the search for goals

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement