Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2020/21- Mod Notes OP [06/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Leicester is Rodgers level.

When Suarez left lfc he was found out.

He did the minimum expected with Celtic.

Leicester were in pole position last year and they completely capitulated.

Thanks but no thanks, if it was him or Ole I'd leave ole where he is.

Im not bothered having the discussion again, I think Poch just looks cool so people here want him, Rodgers looks a bit uncool with his fake white teeth and the way he talks. Apart from that he buikt the building blocks for Liverpools success, finishing second, losing the league to a slip from his star midfielder. Won everything in scotland. Resserected Leicester, done well with swansea,

But Poch has a cool demeanor and got to a final before with Harry Kane, Prime Delli Alli, Son, Dier Walker , Erickson, Lloris and a few others before nosediving down the table with them. Its grand though he is free and he can have two signings nearly as good as the ones he asked for at christmas before getting nothing of note after that unless marketing want it.

Ah here come. Out of it, I'm not saying Rodgers is a savoir but he is far far superior manager to. Ole, he is doing a much better job at lecister then him, with far less to work with.

They fell. Apart mainly due to injuries and suspensions.

Even tonight look. At the team missing loads but he has a plan and a well coached squash who can come in an do a. Job.

Not sure why he gets so much disrespect.

Not saying I Want him as. Manager but it's not even a decision him against ole

I also. Think Poch is a very good manager so not sure where the hate for him comes for. Either.

2 managers who have far more successful season then under performing ones given the clubs they have been. At

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Hugely impressed with Leicester this season. True they faded out at the end last season. But they were without Maddisonn, Perreira, Chilwell and then Soyuncu all at the same time. For a large number of games, and their small squad just couldn't manage.

The players they've brought in this summer look very promising; without blowing a fortune. Their scouting setup puts us to shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Im not bothered having the discussion again, I think Poch just looks cool so people here want him, Rodgers looks a bit uncool with his fake white teeth and the way he talks. Apart from that he buikt the building blocks for Liverpools success, finishing second, losing the league to a slip from his star midfielder. Won everything in scotland. Resserected Leicester, done well with swansea,

But Poch has a cool demeanor and got to a final before with Harry Kane, Prime Delli Alli, Son, Dier Walker , Erickson, Lloris and a few others before nosediving down the table with them. Its grand though he is free and he can have two signings nearly as good as the ones he asked for at christmas before getting nothing of note after that unless marketing want it.

That liverpool team now is absolutely nothing like his team. If your crediting him with building blocks, and completely overlooking that some of the leicester Squad have won a title, and a lot of them assembled by Claude Puel after players gave up on Ranrieri and Shakespeare (rightly so in his case).

His work at Swansea was a continuation of the rather excellent work of Roberto Martinez, who continued on from Paulo Sousa and had a club structured to do so.

Kane had score 3 league goals before Pochetinno joined. Dier, Alli, Davies, Trippier, Son, Aldereweld, Sanchez, etc were not there and all arrived, improved as players and improved the team.

The team he inherited, took on a title run and took 2 a european final were vastly different.

He did this while being continually hamstrung by Levy and Enic (or whatever they are called) too and having to settle for players in a position of need, rather than players that were wanted.

To give rodgers any credit for this liverpool team is laughable.

Weepsie wrote: »
    That liverpool team now is absolutely nothing like his team. If your crediting him with building blocks, and completely overlooking that some of the leicester Squad have won a title, and a lot of them assembled by Claude Puel after players gave up on Ranrieri and Shakespeare (rightly so in his case).

His work at Swansea was a continuation of the rather excellent work of Roberto Martinez, who continued on from Paulo Sousa and had a club structured to do so.

Kane had score 3 league goals before Pochetinno joined. Dier, Alli, Davies, Trippier, Son, Aldereweld, Sanchez, etc were not there and all arrived, improved as players and improved the team.

The team he inherited, took on a title run and took 2 a european final were vastly different.

He did this while being continually hamstrung by Levy and Enic (or whatever they are called) too and having to settle for players in a position of need, rather than players that were wanted.

To give rodgers any credit for this liverpool team is laughable.

He maximised profits and kept building and left Klopp a team that could have players sold and replaced, low wages high value players. Klopp managed to work off net spend because of Rodgers work. Rodgers took on years of mediocrity and acceptence of europa league when he took on Liverpool.

Klopp took on expectation.

He did in his hat. Most of the players signed when Rodgers was manager were failures for the most part. Firminho is the exception. Lovren did alright, Origi alright. Ings unlucky with injuries. Coutinho a huge financial success eventuallyguess what, Southampton and Pochetino were all set to sign him until Liverpool were interested. Credit for Sterling I guess.

However, Liverpool's transfers were for a major part taken out of his hands and put into that of their now famed committee. if he's not willing to take responsibility for some of the awful dross that was recruited, he doesn't get to say yeah but I signed these guys.

He finished 6th and got knocked out in the group stages of the CL in his last full season.

Klopp did not take on expectation, and recruited, Mane, Salah, Allison, Matip, Robertson, Fabinho, Van Dijk, Wijnaldum promoting Trent, Gomez and retaining and improving beyond any reasonable expetation Henderson and Firminho. Even his bench options are vastly different. Only Lovren and Origi, and Lallana stuck around for any reasonable amount of time.

Everything about Rodgers was thrown out, and restarted by Klopp.

He did in his hat. Most of the players signed when Rodgers was manager were failures for the most part. Firminho is the exception. Lovren did alright, Origi alright. Ings unlucky with injuries. Coutinho a huge financial success eventuallyguess what, Southampton and Pochetino were all set to sign him until Liverpool were interested. Credit for Sterling I guess.

However, Liverpool's transfers were for a major part taken out of his hands and put into that of their now famed committee. if he's not willing to take responsibility for some of the awful dross that was recruited, he doesn't get to say yeah but I signed these guys.

He finished 6th and got knocked out in the group stages of the CL in his last full season.

Klopp did not take on expectation, and recruited, Mane, Salah, Allison, Matip, Robertson, Fabinho, Van Dijk, Wijnaldum promoting Trent, Gomez and retaining and improving beyond any reasonable expetation Henderson and Firminho. Even his bench options are vastly different. Only Lovren and Origi, and Lallana stuck around for any reasonable amount of time.

Everything about Rodgers was thrown out, and restarted by Klopp.

Firminio ,coutihno, ings, lovern, Milner, he sold suarez and sterling for huge money too and kept the wheels on, klopp inherited a healthy budget. Did he get Gerards wages off the books too or was that Klopp? Of course its not the sane team as now it was years ago.

Gerrard retired and didn't think all that highly of Rodgers. The club sold Suarez and Sterling. He had nothing to do with bringing the former in, and Suarez didn't want to play for him and was actively trying to get out.

Lovern was at best okay. Ings couldn;t stay fit, and barely appeared for the club. A loan worked out and they got a small profit on him.

You're giving Rodgers far too much credit for having any impact on the club now. Klopp set about dismantling the squad. Liverpool is a very well run club. Very, very well. It has a structure in place there. It was going backwards under Rodgers. They got shot of him as soon as they realised it was not going to work and restarted.

I don't think he's a bad coach, though I still think there's a bit of charlatan about him, but that's my bias. Celtic, so what. You're actively giving credit to him, while dismissing his own predeecessors at clubs and dismissing everything Poch done when he inherited a basket case squad last managed by Tim "tactics" Sherwood and had them regularly competing.

It also was not the slip that lostliverpool the league. Rodgers went against all the things they had done well that season and in the last few games set them up to not lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Giggs arrested after apparently assaulting his partner..

[url]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭bassy

i said it before and i,ll say it again brenden rodgers would be a great choice as united manager.

Gerrard retired and didn't think all that highly of Rodgers. The club sold Suarez and Sterling. He had nothing to do with bringing the former in, and Suarez didn't want to play for him and was actively trying to get out.

Lovern was at best okay. Ings couldn;t stay fit, and barely appeared for the club. A loan worked out and they got a small profit on him.

You're giving Rodgers far too much credit for having any impact on the club now. Klopp set about dismantling the squad. Liverpool is a very well run club. Very, very well. It has a structure in place there. It was going backwards under Rodgers. They got shot of him as soon as they realised it was not going to work and restarted.

I don't think he's a bad coach, though I still think there's a bit of charlatan about him, but that's my bias. Celtic, so what. You're actively giving credit to him, while dismissing his own predeecessors at clubs and dismissing everything Poch done when he inherited a basket case squad last managed by Tim "tactics" Sherwood and had them regularly competing.

It also was not the slip that lostliverpool the league. Rodgers went against all the things they had done well that season and in the last few games set them up to not lose.

Ah rodgers was the transfer comittee but Klopp dismantled the squad and rebuilt it.

Gerard didnt like him, that shows he was a bad manager, Gerard didnt get a new contract under him.

Suarez wanted to leave because he wanted to go to Barca, he was sold for mad money which Klopp inherited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Giggs arrested after apparently assaulting his partner..

[url]

His class on and off the pitch couldn't be further away. He's just generally a bad person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

bassy wrote: »
    i said it before and i,ll say it again brenden rodgers would be a great choice as united manager.

All things being equal, he should be on the shortlist for next Utd manager.

His Liverpool history surely rules that out however. Has there ever been an instance where a manager has crossed over between either club?

The fact that Liverpool sacked him (rather than him departing for a better offer) would make it worse for United.
    The narrative would be "failed Liverpool manager now managing Utd, etc."
    Hardly good for the club's brand!

• His class on and off the pitch couldn't be further away. He's just generally a bad person.

Riding his brothers wife

Now giving the beatdown to his girlfriend

State of him. Sack him immediately if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Riding his brothers wife

Now giving the beatdown to his girlfriend

State of him. Sack him immediately if true

He denies all the allegations and has been found guilty of nothing.

• Advertisement

Zeek12 wrote: »
    All things being equal, he should be on the shortlist for next Utd manager.

His Liverpool history surely rules that out however. Has there ever been an instance where a manager has crossed over between either club?

The fact that Liverpool sacked him (rather than him departing for a better offer) would make it worse for United.
    The narrative would be "failed Liverpool manager now managing Utd, etc."
    Hardly good for the club's brand!

Not manager switch, but Busby was Liverpool captain.

On Rodgers, I read an age ago that he wanted to be considered for the United job when he was at Celtic - and was annoyed he was not.

IMO he would fit in with the vision United claim to have now (again). Youth, attacking etc. Same as I would champion Poch, I think Rodgers would show a consistency of desired style if we were to sack Ole - and to me that is the most important part. We need whomever may come in to be able to work with the players that have been bought or are considered to be parts of the United future - we don't need a manager that would need a completely different style of player and have us starting over yet again.

• He denies all the allegations and has been found guilty of nothing.

The words If True

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Rodgers is a great coach now no question but he did NOT leave Liverpool in good shape

Good players he left at the time where Cou , Milner ,Gomez (who was a kid) & Bobby , the latter he had paying as a wing back and was a committee singing ,He spent the Suarez money very poorly and he tried to swap Henderson for Clint Dempsey ,

He had very little effect on Klopps Liverpool ,

In saying that I do think the Liverpool job came to early for him , He was good in long spells but he needed more experience and he has matured into a great coach ,

I actually still think Arsenal should have went for him over Arteta ,

Personally i think he'd do great at United but i hope he doesn't go there simply because I'm old school and want English football to retain rivalries ,
    You can't have former Liverpool manger's or players at United or vice versa ,
    I'd hate it to end up like Milan where players play for both clubs with no big deal

The words If True

The words:

"Now giving the beatdown to his girlfriend"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The words:

"Now giving the beatdown to his girlfriend"

Tbf Mitch, he did say sack him immediately if true so its not that he has made an absolute statement.

• Advertisement

• Tbf Mitch, he did say sack him immediately if true so its not that he has made an absolute statement.

Thought that was fairly obvious to most

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'd say he'd be a massive upgrade on Ole. But then I'd also think Big Sam would be too.

He'd be a riskier choice than Poch imo, who I think showed more with Spurs than Rodgers has shown with Leicester, but I'd certainly be open to him being on the shortlist. I feel that the list of reasons I like Poch seems to overlap with Rodgers a good bit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Ryan Giggs said he felt different when he joined United due to being a black man.

https://news.sky.com/story/ryan-giggs-says-he-was-made-to-feel-different-because-of-race-12115442

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭adox

RobertKK wrote: »
    Ryan Giggs said he felt different when he joined United due to being a black man.

https://news.sky.com/story/ryan-giggs-says-he-was-made-to-feel-different-because-of-race-12115442

He didn't say that at all. Did you read the article you linked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Poch is the most likely as we wont pay a fee to get Rpdgers

I just hope penny pinching doesnt mean we go for Allegri over Rodgers if Poch doesnt happen

But I think Poch and Rodgers both have the same philosophy Ole is trying to implement so I think both would be good appointments

Thought that was fairly obvious to most

had you said accused of... and then if true, i would agree with your assesment of your statement.

But the actual sentence your wrote was matter of fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

adox wrote: »
    He didn't say that at all. Did you read the article you linked?

Yes he said because of his race. Even though most people wouldn’t have a clue he has a black father.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

He said mixed race and spoke about how he felt after moving to Manchester (from Cardiff) as his dad is black.
    I was seven, so I can't remember a lot before that. It wasn't until I moved to Manchester

Where I lived, my dad was very well known, because he was such a good player. He was probably the best player in the team in that town.

"As you can guess, to look at me, you wouldn't think my dad was black.

But obviously everyone knowing that was my dad, and my dad quite clearly being black, that's really when I sort of experienced the first time. Which was a bit weird, because I'd never experienced that before."

Giggs added that he defined himself as "mixed race", but would not "shout about" the fact as "it's just who I am"

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Poch is the most likely as we wont pay a fee to get Rpdgers

I just hope penny pinching doesnt mean we go for Allegri over Rodgers if Poch doesnt happen

But I think Poch and Rodgers both have the same philosophy Ole is trying to implement so I think both would be good appointments

Yeah, I know I've seen Allegri mentioned before, but it feels to me like he'd be a whiplash back to Jose's style, and that would absolutely set us back.

He'd be a massive impvement on Ole, but it would probably take longer to drill his style into the team.

Poch and Rodgers are straight upgrades, in terms of playing what Ole says he wants to play, and sign the type of players we talk about signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yes he said because of his race. Even though most people wouldn’t have a clue he has a black father.

You said when he moved to UTD which is not what he said. He said when he moved to Manchester. Didn't mention a club. He joined City when he moved to Manchester.

He didn't call himself a black man as you stated.

Read the article again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Rodgers managed Liverpool. All conversation of him managing Utd should end there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Rodgers managed Liverpool. All conversation of him managing Utd should end there.

I don't think he's the best candidate for the job but he should absolutely be in the running for the job when it becomes available

Do you think Ryanair wouldn't consider someone if they worked previously for CityJet?
    Would McDonalds disqualify someone because they worked for Burger King?

Football is a business and as such the best candidate will get the job. His Liverpool past will absolutely be taken into consideration im sure but no reason he should be totally eliminated from the running because of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It's not an unfair comment from Airbag. Bentiz had a rough time at Chelsea and that's not a sleight on Chelsea fans, it's just the way it is.
    I think most fans would give anyone a shot if they thought they were right for the job but there's always that psycho element in the fringes waiting to pounce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Would you also rule out Klopp?

‘Pogba isn’t world class in any shape or form’ – Man Utd should expect more from £89m star, says Meulensteen

https://www.goal.com/en-in/news/pogba-isnt-world-class-any-shape-or-form-man-utd-89m/qll5sr9mwabw1j5ag6sbv8uot

Sir Alex Ferguson’s former right-hand man told Stadium Astro of Pogba: “You can have all the talent in the world but it’s about hard work, and it’s hard work that brings that quality to the surface.

“For me, he hasn’t worked hard enough. I can see it all the time, it’s too slow, it’s laboured and there is no urgency about it and other teams can capitalise on it.

“He is a very talented player. Everyone keeps talking about him – he’s world class, he’s world class.

“I would never use world class so easily because I know players past and present and they deserve the accolade of being world class. In my opinion, Paul doesn’t deserve that in any shape or form because I don’t think he’s lived up to expectations.

“I don’t think we expect too much of him because of the player he has been and the trophies he has won.

“We need to expect even more from him, but that only comes from working hard. That then rubs off on other players. Not working hard does as well because they start to question those performances.”

United spent big on Pogba after seeing him star in Italy, but collective struggles in Manchester have prevented the France international from scaling those heights back in familiar surroundings.

“He played in a very experienced, well set up team [at Juventus], with a lot of strong personalities and leaders,” added Meulensteen.

“That’s one thing United are lacking, leadership. He should be one of them but he isn’t, he isn’t a natural leader.

“You need to get him back where he can do most of the damage, which is between the lines and in the pockets. At the moment he is too often in areas where he gets crowded out.

“One area where he has been poor is that he gets the ball nicked off him too often.

“It’s a constant puzzle. You need to win games, United have had their worst start in the Premier League at home, and I don’t think Ole knows what his best 11 is.”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

NITRO95 wrote: »
    Do you think Ryanair wouldn't consider someone if they worked previously for CityJet?
    Would McDonalds disqualify someone because they worked for Burger King?

Those situation don't even compare. A stewardess or chain manager of any of the brands you mentioned are completely unknowns to the general public where as Utd and Liverpool players are known the world over by mllions, the managers even more so. Even a high level vice president or second in command in one of those business you mentioned would be unknown by the majority of the public. I couldn't even tell you who the CEO's of Burger King, McD's and Easyjet are.
    Fitz* wrote: »

Yes.

• had you said accused of... and then if true, i would agree with your assesment of your statement.

But the actual sentence your wrote was matter of fact.

Pointless internet argument #35 :rolleyes:

Your issue if you don't understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Fitz* wrote: »

That wouldnt be required as Klopp would undoubtedly rule himself out so its moot while BR would likely jump at the opportunity to take the reigns at a bigger English club like United.

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    ‘Pogba isn’t world class in any shape or form’ – Man Utd should expect more from £89m star, says Meulensteen

https://www.goal.com/en-in/news/pogba-isnt-world-class-any-shape-or-form-man-utd-89m/qll5sr9mwabw1j5ag6sbv8uot

Sir Alex Ferguson’s former right-hand man told Stadium Astro of Pogba: “You can have all the talent in the world but it’s about hard work, and it’s hard work that brings that quality to the surface.

“For me, he hasn’t worked hard enough. I can see it all the time, it’s too slow, it’s laboured and there is no urgency about it and other teams can capitalise on it.

“He is a very talented player. Everyone keeps talking about him – he’s world class, he’s world class.

“I would never use world class so easily because I know players past and present and they deserve the accolade of being world class. In my opinion, Paul doesn’t deserve that in any shape or form because I don’t think he’s lived up to expectations.

“I don’t think we expect too much of him because of the player he has been and the trophies he has won.

“We need to expect even more from him, but that only comes from working hard. That then rubs off on other players. Not working hard does as well because they start to question those performances.”

United spent big on Pogba after seeing him star in Italy, but collective struggles in Manchester have prevented the France international from scaling those heights back in familiar surroundings.

“He played in a very experienced, well set up team [at Juventus], with a lot of strong personalities and leaders,” added Meulensteen.

“That’s one thing United are lacking, leadership. He should be one of them but he isn’t, he isn’t a natural leader.

“You need to get him back where he can do most of the damage, which is between the lines and in the pockets. At the moment he is too often in areas where he gets crowded out.

“One area where he has been poor is that he gets the ball nicked off him too often.

“It’s a constant puzzle. You need to win games, United have had their worst start in the Premier League at home, and I don’t think Ole knows what his best 11 is.”

tenor.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Even if it is false and he is indeed innocent, his personal life has certainly tarnished his professional accomplishments at this stage. Unfortunately he is nothing more than fodder for Paddy Power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,452 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Pogba is going to retire with potentially a world cup medal (future potential for him to win more international accolades), 4 league titles and a few other future wins after he leaves United on a free in 2022. Millions of followers and bags of cash. That will be seen as a successful career for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

Rodgers took over Ronny Delia at Celtic and did very well. Celtic won everything domestically they could in his time there including an unbeaten run of 69 games domestically. He was reasonably astute in the transfer market, qualified for Europe every year and the champions league aswell. Something they haven't done since.

BTW I always thought Rodgers was a spoofer but his work with Celtic and now Leicester is impressive. I know most people have a hard on for Poch which is fair enough but there is a lot of substantial upgrades on Ole around. Poch makes more sense than Rodgers due to the contract situation alone

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Yeah, I know I've seen Allegri mentioned before, but it feels to me like he'd be a whiplash back to Jose's style, and that would absolutely set us back.

He'd be a massive impvement on Ole, but it would probably take longer to drill his style into the team.

Poch and Rodgers are straight upgrades, in terms of playing what Ole says he wants to play, and sign the type of players we talk about signings.

Ole is not that unlike Jose or Allegri in many ways in terms of playing style. Tactics evolve over time, people figure your out and things move on. Jose has struggled with this. Allegri is more in the mould of Ancelotti and Lippi in that they are willing and actively looking to adapt to stay ahead.

For Ole, in comparison to Jose, the major changes are in general philosophy where Ole has a more patient approach with players and is more willing to give young players a chance than Jose is as Jose is more demanding of success in short term, more volatile.

The core idea for Jose is to minimise mistakes and take advantage of the opponents mistakes. If Ole actually made sure to minimise his teams mistakes (Hi Pogba) and take advantage of the opponents errors then maybe a meek 1-0 loss to Arsenal would not have happened.

Look at Jose's Inter and we see a similarity to United post Covid-

Keeper

Flat back four

Two midfielders

Inverted wide player right - No 10 -Inverted left forward

CF.

They would press with forwards if they lose the ball to try and slow down the opponent or turnover the ball (United do this). Then fall back and not press strongly to conserve energy, invite the opponent forward so the counter is on.

Jose in the 00s made changes that so many other managers have based their basic systems around. Some coaches have moved on with the change to how teams press with more intensity and some use possession dominance with patterns of play to progress play in response to sides doing what Jose (and Rafa Benitez) were doing in the 00s.

Ole is probably more like Allegri and Lippi or Ancelotti (and SAF is the major influence for Ole, SAF loved Juventus adaptability and core foundation) as he requires less set and structured play across the full team. I say more like in terms of his views and not his level!

The defence and midfield is set but the forwards have more freedom to play than the total responsibilities an 11 playing for Jose or Pep have. Allegri and Ole are also more likely to change set ups in response to needs of the team, players, opponents or competition.

The Italian influence on SAF and therefore Ole is well represented by Ancelotti's views. This is a great short read: https://www.evertonfc.com/news/1669124/ancelotti-explains-how-his-tactical-outlook-has-evolved
    Although the overall identity of the team, the style of play, is very important, it is perhaps best understood as strategic.

The tactics – how to perform in particular games or particular periods of the season, or how to change systems or personnel against particular opponents – are also crucial to success.

When people talk about football they often seem to believe that to play ‘offensively’ is good and to play ‘defensively’ is bad. That’s not true.

If you have a team that plays well defensively but not so well offensively, or the other way round, that is the sign of a bad manager.

Allegri makes a lot of sense if United want a manager to continue on what is happening now but with a higher level of manager. A Pochettino would bring a different approach altogether. A club hiring either manager would be making a good choice in my view. Perhaps the Italian influence of learning and adapting may be what United need more than a manager who has not yet showed his ability to adapt once his approach is 'found out'.

I think United's greatest need, where they change managers, is a consistency across managers so that whoever is in charge wants to work with bulk of the players United have and that there is clarity on the clubs expectations but that manager and clubs ideas complement each other. Having a strong squad with adaptable players is important so that a change of style or approach does not require huge upheaval in terms of many players in and out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Liam O wrote: »
    Pogba is going to retire with potentially a world cup medal (future potential for him to win more international accolades), 4 league titles and a few other future wins after he leaves United on a free in 2022. Millions of followers and bags of cash. That will be seen as a successful career for him.
    He'll get mega bumper extensions dont worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Rodgers has a weaker squad performing better than us and playing better football

His style of play is exactly what Ole is trying to achieve so we wouldn't need to spend a fortune on somebody with a different philosophy

He would love to prove Liverpool wrong and would be motivated to overtake them

He alongside Poch are two perfect replacements to come in and implement the current philosophy

Rodgers is someone who managed liverpool and is not some club legend that has shown United disrespect as far as I am aware

It would be foolish not to have him near the top of the list to replace Ole

• Advertisement

Would love to see what Poch or BR (or other) could do with this United squad, but I also wonder how hampered they would be by the weaknesses in the squad - or are they also magnified by Ole?

AWB at full back - brilliant one vs one.
    Questionable going forward - imo he is massively impacted by United focusing left side and leaving him isolated.
    Also I have big issues with his defending of crosses from the left. CONSTANTLY caught under the ball.

Does someone else get him support out there - without a winger? Does someone else coach him better at fullback on crosses?

Fred/Matic/McT at the base of midfield - all three have issues against the press. But how much of that is down to the player, and how much is down to the coaching of the side - in terms of other players not creating the passing lanes to play out of the press?

I think Bruno is fantastic - but can another manager getting him playing an effective roll slightly deeper? United playing him as essentially another forward is part of our problem, imo. He is too far up the pitch to link to the attack (as he is part of hte attack) but also leaves us a player short in the middle defensively as well. 'OK' if it is Fred and McT behind him but makes it difficult to play either Pogba or VDB too, imo.

Obviously not having a right winger is an issue. But if you look at Spurs under Poch, at one stage it was Kane up top, with Ali and Son wide, Eriksen centre and Dembele and Dier(? - can't remember fully). Could that be Martial, Bruno in the Ericksen spot, VDB and Rashford 'wide'? I do think VDB and Bruno could thrive in that set up, and swap with each other between central and wider areas. (Dropping Pogba....please with a solid midfield two?). Was it having Walker or Trippier on the right and Rose/Davies on the left that allowed that?

Its interesting, if pointless, to think about imo.

The squad is certainly better than 15th, but does the issues in both key positions (DM and RW for example) and the lack of balance hinder anyone from bringing them too far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

Lord TSC wrote: »

Biggst single mistake United made since Ferguson retired, and they've made many, was getting rid of Meulensteen. We have Moyes- clear out to thank for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

I would have a guess that Poch or Rodgers would get us a third place finish in the league. I don’t think we have a squad of players good enough to challenge Liverpool or City..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Just saw that Rafael now plays for Istabul Bashakira.

Must be new as I dont remember him being there when I last looked at their team.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

Are we hoping Utd win or lose tomorrows match?

Obviously we always want them to win but I mean in terms of do you think it may speed up Ole's departure if we lose tomorrow. You know the greater good and all that (if you're not in the Ole camp)..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement