Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this a gas pipe

• 01-11-2020 7:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭

There is supposed to be a gas line here for a hob and I'm guessing this is it? Its buried down behind the kitchen units and there's no sign of a valve could it just be sealed off like that? The top of the pipe looks to be just crimped/pinched.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

tnegun wrote: »
    There is supposed to be a gas line here for a hob and I'm guessing this is it? Its buried down behind the kitchen units and there's no sign of a valve could it just be sealed off like that? The top of the pipe looks to be just crimped/pinched.

It can be sealed like that, found one like that myself from a 1990 built house :) (plan to use it in a couple of years, so happy it was there)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Looks like crimped and soldered, but thats certainly not allowed, it should have a cap on it to blank off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭tnegun

Thanks for the replies the house was built in 2008 so I guess it was OK then? There was a similar setup in the fireplace but I had that removed years ago and its capped now at the valve. If I wanted to get a hob installed is it just a matter of connecting to that pipe or is there more involved as whats there isn't right?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

no it certainly wasn't ok then either.

Your RGI should be able to guide you for connecting assuming the pipe is live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

I’m guessing this is a one off house, not on gas mains? Pipe there to connect to a cylinder?

• Advertisement

Its on the gas mains alright, lots of issues with plumbing when we moved in and we had a gas leak at the meter so this isn't suprising. It was the same company that plumbed and installed the boiler. The fireplace was the same with a much smaller pipe just folded over in the base but at least it had a shut off valve in the skirting but there is no evidence of one here. I checked with a neighbour who has a gas hob and they just have valve on the flex from the same pipe. I will get an RGI to investigate thanks for info! Anyone have a ballpart figure for what it would cost to connect a hob assuming the pipe is live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭phormium

I have a house built in 1991 and neither hob nor fire gas pipe looked like that, they have proper cap type thing on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Would have expected it to end in a valve ( yelliw) with a blank on the end , especially if there was a gas hob there before ,..
    Is that next pipe next to the cooker ? Any chance you can see where it's coming from ?
    You're going to have to get a gas fitter in anyway to stick a valve on and connect and approve your new hob, so he'll know pretty quick ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

No hob there before, it was an option when moving in but we couldn't afford it and the pipe was supposed to be there if we ever wanted to use it. Its in an awkward spot behind the drawers so you'd need to take apart the back in the unit to access properly. From what I can see it just comes out of the wall like that it makes sense to be there as the meter is also on that wall and its between it and the gas boiler.

Advertisement