Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refurbished iPhone sold as new

Options
  • 01-11-2020 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Has anyone been unfortunate enough to buy a new iPhone from an authorised Apple reseller for full retail price only to find out afterwards that it was a refurbished model? If so, what did you do and what was the outcome? Basically curious if you got Apple involved or tried to resolve just with the reseller.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

I’m curious to know how you are sure it’s a refurbished iPhone and what store you purchased from?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Birka

boardzz wrote: »
    I’m curious to know how you are sure it’s a refurbished iPhone and what store you purchased from?

The model number is a giveaway - it’s an iPhone X with a model number starting with F. A new one would have a model number starting with M.

It’s early days yet and possibly against Boards policy to name the store.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Refurbs (official ones anyway) usually come in slightly different packaging to new products.

Dades wrote: »
    Refurbs (official ones anyway) usually come in slightly different packaging to new products.

This one was priced and sold as new. Nothing to indicate that it was a refurb. It may have been unpacked by the retail assistant at the time of purchase (can’t remember) so I’m not sure if it was in a sealed box or not. We do still have the box though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

boardzz wrote: »

Try not answer a question with a question. Smug doesn’t work here pal, ok?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

naasrd wrote: »

Neither does backseat modding.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Birka wrote: »
    The model number is a giveaway - it’s an iPhone X with a model number starting with F. A new one would have a model number starting with M.

It’s early days yet and possibly against Boards policy to name the store.

It could have been new and sat on a shelf for a year or so.
    What is the warranty on it when you type the serial number into apples product check online?

Gumbo wrote: »
    It could have been new and sat on a shelf for a year or so.
    What is the warranty on it when you type the serial number into apples product check online?

A refurbished phone has a different model number prefix to a new one - they shouldn't be mixed up/misrepresented by a retailer and certainly not sold at a premium price.

I don't have the phone with me but I'll check the warranty later.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Birka wrote: »
    A refurbished phone has a different model number prefix to a new one - they shouldn't be mixed up/misrepresented by a retailer and certainly not sold at a premium price.

I don't have the phone with me but I'll check the warranty later.

I think your mistaking possible.

I’m looking at my iPhone 11 Pro with a serial number F, I bought it direct from Apple on launch day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

naasrd wrote: »

What a ridiculous response.

It was a genuine question to gather more context about the issue so that the OP could get the best information as they could easily be mistaken.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    I just did a bit of digging,

This is outdated (or not accurate) information:

F = refurb
    M = retail
    N = replacement

I'm looking at two retail units (X and 11 Pro) and both have F as the model number prefix.
    Gumbo wrote: »
    I think your mistaking possible.

I’m looking at my iPhone 11 Pro with a serial number F, I bought it direct from Apple on launch day.

That's very interesting and useful - thanks both for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

In my job we buy quite a lot of iPhones- I scanned in 30 today and they all had f as the first digit on the serial number

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Sinus pain wrote: »
    In my job we buy quite a lot of iPhones- I scanned in 30 today and they all had f as the first digit on the serial number

It’s not about the serial number, it’s the model number in settings > general > about. The first letter of that may be an indicator.

This is a write up on it:

https://www.howtogeek.com/656863/how-to-check-if-your-iphone-was-refurbished/

As you still have the box, start with that. Brand new iPhones come in the colourful retail packaging. Certified refurbished from Apple products come in plan white packaging. The back of the box will also have the serial number, the IMEI number and the model number (which is what is being discussed as starting with M, F or N). Check and see if all of those three match up with what you see in the settings of the phone.

Until that is check, this is all speculation. Sharing the name of the “authorised reseller” may help solve the mystery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

FourFourFM wrote: »
    It’s not about the serial number, it’s the model number in settings > general > about. The first letter of that may be an indicator.

This is a write up on it:

https://www.howtogeek.com/656863/how-to-check-if-your-iphone-was-refurbished/

As you still have the box, start with that. Brand new iPhones come in the colourful retail packaging. Certified refurbished from Apple products come in plan white packaging. The back of the box will also have the serial number, the IMEI number and the model number (which is what is being discussed as starting with M, F or N). Check and see if all of those three match up with what you see in the settings of the phone.

Until that is check, this is all speculation. Sharing the name of the “authorised reseller” may help solve the mystery too.

You are 100% correct. My model number begins with M however the serial number begins with F and that's on an XR I have had new from the release date.

Advertisement