Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Missing Link

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

They all have an Irish granny :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

No. It concerns the World Cup of soccer.

Anybody want to have a bash before I reveal the answer? It's possibly my favourite quiz question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Neowise

image search say
    first is Geoff Hurst, played for england soccer team, ~1970.
    second is Simone Perrotta, player for italy, ~2004
    I think 3rd is Jimmy Armfield. football player and more.

Is the link that they all played football?

Neowise wrote: »
    image search say
    first is Geoff Hurst, played for england soccer team, ~1970.
    second is Simone Perrotta, player for italy, ~2004
    I think 3rd is Jimmy Armfield. football player and more.

Is the link that they all played football?

No.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Were they the most expensive players of their day?

No. I can't speak of the other two but Simone Perrotta wasn't that good.;)

Maybe too obscure, the answer is they're the only three World Cup winners from the English metropolitan borough of Tameside (population: as of 2011, 219,324) outside Manchester.

Simone Perrotta is the last English World Cup winner having lived in England until the age of five. He was born in the same hospital as England's 1966 World Cup winner Geoff Hurst.

All three had statues erected. Perrotta was unaware of his statue until recently.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.whufc.com%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2Finline-images%2FArmfieldHurst726.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Inscription(s):
    Plaque: This statue stands as a testament to Tameside's place in football history as the birthplace of three men who hold World Cup winner's medals. Sir Geoff Hurst MBE England 1966 (b Ashton 1941). Jimmy Armfield OBE England 1966 (b Denton 1935). Simone Perrotta Italy 2006 (b Ashton 1977). It was unveiled on 22 December 2010 in memory of Cllr Roy Oldham CBE (1935-2010) Leader of Tameside Council 1980-2010 after whom the surrounding sports village is named.

Advertisement