Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irritating American names for things

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭boardise

In America they park on a driveway and drive on a parkway .

Then when it's all over they get buried in a casket !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭scotchy

Is that not yank terminology for headlice?

That's exactly what I used to think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooties

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

scotchy wrote: »
    That's exactly what I used to think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooties
    In the United States, children sometimes "immunize" one another from cooties by administering a "cootie injection". Typically, one child administers the "shot", using an index finger to trace circles and dots on another child's forearm while reciting the rhyme, "Circle, circle, Dot, dot, – Now you've got the cootie shot!"

Jesus, no wonder half of them are anti-vaxers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

breezy1985 wrote: »
    There's a beautiful simplicity to the range of spirits in an Irish pub that blows Yanks minds and a lot of English too.

I used pretend to be horrified and offended to when they would assume I knew how to make an Irish Car Bomb shot. Or when the Yanks would try look Irish in front of us by pouring a whiskey into a Guinness.

I remember walking into hole in the wall pubs in the West of Ireland in the eighties.

Little sticker on the door, only sign of a pub. Walk in, there's this beautiful young lass takes a while to get out to the tap. She is all flushed and yes, only Guinness on tap, behind her, 5 bottles of Catholic whiskey; Jamesons. None of that Bushmills stuff, no. Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    I remember walking into hole in the wall pubs in the West of Ireland in the eighties.

Little sticker on the door, only sign of a pub. Walk in, there's this beautiful young lass takes a while to get out to the tap. She is all flushed and yes, only Guinness on tap, behind her, 5 bottles of Catholic whiskey; Jamesons. None of that Bushmills stuff, no. Lol.

John Jameson was a Scottish Presbyterian, funny that it's somehow "Catholic".

• Advertisement

John Jameson was a Scottish Presbyterian, funny that it's somehow "Catholic".

Yes, I always wondered about that. I was told that when I lived in Dublin. Good old Catholic whiskey. Lol.

I once lived on Berkeley street in Phizbra, and the Jameson water pond was in the back of my house. Nice place to read a buke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,119 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My grandfather was head distiller at Jameson's and he wasn't a catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Mom. I was raised by my Mam, or at worst,Mum. This is Ireland, not America.

Mom is very much Kerry & West Cork and particularly amongst Irish speakers.

Mum is definitely "at worst." It's classically English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Silver33 wrote: »
    Chick! Always assumed it was a young hot female. Apparently the term refers to any age of any kind of female.

Toona...

Its TUNA - I pronounce it CHOONA.. .:rolleyes:wrong or right I don't know..

An irish person saying the word "awesome" drives me mental. It just sounds fake..:D

No, it's toonagh FISH.
    And salmon fish, cod fish etc.
    Drives me insane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Jesus, no wonder half of them are anti-vaxers.

Circe,circle,dot,dot . More likely to be anti-vaxers than poets ide say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

In WASP circles they would think its bad luck to say 'hell' so they say h-e-double-toothpicks instead.

Also uber instead of the ass and trap like normal people.

Chores

Grade (as in grade school)

Maum

Disney llaaaaaaaand

Super-

Like OMG

Kinder garden

Drat (comes From God rot it apparently)

A word for people who don't want to "cuss"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Probably crept into common usage through the huge Spanish speaking population I'd say - on a day to day basis, the main place I tend to hear cilantro used is in relation to mexican food anyway.

Probably. Colombians also use it a lot.

In WASP circles they would think its bad luck to say 'hell' so they say h-e-double-toothpicks instead.

Also uber instead of the ass and trap like normal people.

Chores

Grade (as in grade school)

Maum

Disney llaaaaaaaand

Super-

Like OMG

Kinder garden

Kinder Garden would be derived from the Germans "Kinder Garten" (Children's garden)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

boardise wrote: »
    In America they park on a driveway and drive on a parkway .

If you check on google maps the n25 out of cork city heading east is called the "East Cork Parkway "
    I have no idea where that came from ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Suckler

looksee wrote: »
    ..Craft videos are as bad...Use your (brand name) to draw your design then wash with (brand name + obscure colour names) and highlight with (brand name), You can add (brand names) if you wish, then use your (brand name) and your (brand name) to trim to size and use (brand name) to attach it to a (brand name). These are not just for promotional purposes...

+1. Nauseating stuff. Like you said, not just for the power tools or main tools etc. everything down to the pencil brand is mentioned. As they stand there in branded clothing with branded banners behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Markcheese wrote: »
    If you check on google maps the n25 out of cork city heading east is called the "East Cork Parkway "

Possibly from the long traffic jams caused by operation fanacht checkpoints. The first week it resembled a carpark. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Markcheese wrote: »

It’s the official name of that stretch of road.

Strangely enough, the M3 Parkway (Meath) and Navan Road Parkway (Dublin) are both railway stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

poop

It’s the official name of that stretch of road.

Strangely enough, the M3 Parkway (Meath) and Navan Road Parkway (Dublin) are both railway stations.

There was a shot of places called Parkway and boulevard and what have you when Ireland was aspiring to be more like de States

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

cnocbui wrote: »
    Gas, for a flammable liquid that isn't a gas.

You wouldn't believe the amount of times I've had my former work colleague try and convince me that gas was the correct term for fuel.
    No matter what I would say, he'd say it makes sense.
    The other one then is using the same word to describe the accelerator.
    How the fcuk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Somewhere in an Internet forum across the Atlantic a group of Americans are ridiculing the silly terms that the Irish and Brits use for everyday items.......it all just depends on how you look at things. There’s no right or wrong in this argument - it just comes down to perspective and luck of the draw where you were born and brought up.

thejuggler wrote: »
    Somewhere in an Internet forum across the Atlantic a group of Americans are ridiculing the silly terms that the Irish and Brits use for everyday items.......it all just depends on how you look at things. There’s no right or wrong in this argument - it just comes down to perspective and luck of the draw where you were born and brought up.

This.

I just recognize all the above stated terms as those used in my own backyard, so to speak. Although, around here, there is a lot more French spoken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

They really aren't though as it's a one-way street when it comes to cultural exposure. The Yanks are some of the biggest naval gazers on Earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

440Hertz wrote: »

I often wondered why this was so?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I can't stand how Americans pronounce Notre Dame as No-Der Dame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Silver33 wrote: »
    Chick! Always assumed it was a young hot female. Apparently the term refers to any age of any kind of female.

Toona...

Its TUNA - I pronounce it CHOONA.. .:rolleyes:wrong or right I don't know..

TOOONAFISH

yeah like no s#it it's a fish.

I wonder if it's a hangover from the germanic influence on america. In German Tuna = Thunfisch.

In the same vein, because I am hungry, calling smoked salmon "Lax". Again may be from the german Lachs for salmon but I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Pooting or pass gas instead of farting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Take a mulligan.
    A gimme.
    A do-over. Those come from golf I think.
    Slip someone a Mickey. ie Mickey Finn, to drug someone, spike their drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mossie

EYE-raq (Iraq)

Recently saw an American TV documentary where they kept referring to Tunisia as chew-nee-sha

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

440Hertz wrote: »
    Sure, but the rest of the country using "Mom" these days has feck all to do with Irish speakers in Kerry or Cork and much more to do with swapping one fake "british" D4 accent for a fake mid atlantic one.
    bear1 wrote: »
    You wouldn't believe the amount of times I've had my former work colleague try and convince me that gas was the correct term for fuel.
    No matter what I would say, he'd say it makes sense.
    Well IIRC that has an interesting history which goes back to the 19th century and before cars. Gasoline was originally a trademark of a "motor spirit" producer, though and again IIRC it was spelled "Gazolene" with a zed, the "gas" thing coming later? Petrol was also the name of a product sold by another company and it took hold in the UK and what was her empire. So kinda like the way people will say "Hoover" when referring to any vacuum cleaner. In other countries some variant on benzine is most commonly used.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Come to think of it, can someone tell me what a 'red eye' is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

TOOONAFISH

I wonder if it's a hangover from the germanic influence on america. In German Tuna = Thunfisch.

In the same vein, because I am hungry, calling smoked salmon "Lax". Again may be from the german Lachs for salmon but I have no idea.

Possibly from the Scandanavian cured Salmon Gravlax. Lax being Salmon in these languages athe Grav bit meaning cured.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravlax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Probably crept into common usage through the huge Spanish speaking population I'd say - on a day to day basis, the main place I tend to hear cilantro used is in relation to mexican food anyway.

Texas and most of the Western part of America was Spanish so probably goes way back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Come to think of it, can someone tell me what a 'red eye' is?

A very early morning flight. i.e. your eyes are still red since you got so little sleep.

• Advertisement

No they are not because the problem I find when I come across Americans is they have no understanding that everything is not exactly like the US and are shocked to learn anglophone Europe is not a mini US

A very early morning flight. i.e. your eyes are still red since you got so little sleep.

They call Cylons either toasters or skinjobs

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Ticket meaning party or personal political manifesto for political candidates.

Yeah he's running on this ticket I ain't voting for him.

Damn yanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Wibbs wrote: »
    Sure, but the rest of the country using "Mom" these days has feck all to do with Irish speakers in Kerry or Cork and much more to do with swapping one fake "british" D4 accent for a fake mid atlantic one.

Well IIRC that has an interesting history which goes back to the 19th century and before cars. Gasoline was originally a trademark of a "motor spirit" producer, though and again IIRC it was spelled "Gazolene" with a zed, the "gas" thing coming later? Petrol was also the name of a product sold by another company and it took hold in the UK and what was her empire. So kinda like the way people will say "Hoover" when referring to any vacuum cleaner. In other countries some variant on benzine is most commonly used.

Feck off Wibbs with your knowledge :P
    I believe the emphasis is based on the ENE part, those are usually chemicals (I think?) but the comparison to use gas as fuel and the accelerator still makes no sense :P
    It's like believing that diesel is a fuel. It's not, it's a type of engine.

We’re responsible for the word “gasoline” btw

“John Cassell, publisher, coffee merchant, and social campaigner, was soon importing the new and wonderful stuff to London. New and wonderful stuff demands a new and wonderful word so Cassell devised one, inspired presumably by his own name: cazeline.”

“Cassell discovered that a shopkeeper in Dublin named Samuel Boyd was selling counterfeit cazeline and wrote to him to ask him to stop. Boyd did not reply and changed every ‘C’ into a ‘G’, thus coining the word "gazeline" “

This ultimately takes off as a generic term changing to Gasoline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

In WASP circles

In what now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

"I could care less" when they mean I couldn't give two sh!ts or I couldn't care any less..

It makes absolutely no sense to tell people you could care less - but it just doesn't sound as effective as "I couldn't care less".

Edit on searching.. there was a David Mitchel rant about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

Which I think I remember googling when I heard the 'Ma' say it on the Sopranos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

km991148 wrote: »
    In what now?
    White Anglo-Saxon Protestants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Ikozma wrote: »
    cookies,

I don't mind cookies, in fact I've always called the choc chip type of biscuit a cookie. But how the hell is a scone a biscuit. And why do they eat them with gravy?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

dee_mc wrote: »
    No, it's toonagh FISH.
    And salmon fish, cod fish etc.
    Drives me insane!

I can ease your anguish. Codfish (Cod-fish, cod fish) is a very old word, not invented in America. And salmon fish does not appear in any dictionary I checked, so you don't have to worry about that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

km991148 wrote: »
    In what now?

Wasps that fly in circles.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

mossie wrote: »
    Recently saw an American TV documentary where they kept referring to Tunisia as chew-nee-sha

I remember when all that bother was going on in Kosovo a lot of American news networks were pronouncing it Koe-sivo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

TOOONAFISH

you mean Lox? it comes from yiddish

There’s one thing to bare in mind : American English, especially the very Midwestern and standardised version has fewer phonemes (basic sounds) than a lot of forms English spoken here or in Britain.

They often can’t hear or pronounce some of the subtle differences between say soft and hard As that we go on about a lot.

They’ve also got an issue with a harder and one one form of the I sound “eye” as in Ireland, being used for every I. So you get Eye Rack where as we might say Eh Rack for Irak.

Also a lot of borrowed or imported words from other languages that people are going on about here, including country names, are probably equally inaccurate in all forms of English, as they’re only approximations.

I’ve had English people correct Irish pronunciation of Peugeot (the car brand) when both countries pronounce it inaccurately, including in the car company’s own ads. We tend to read it as if it’s almost English, and they throw in this really strong intrusive R getting Peh RRrrrrrrr Jo and neither is French. So it’s just a case or choosing between two mispronunciations. I’d tend to go with the Irish version, as the English one is like Del Boy pretending to speak French.

They can’t hear some of the sounds used in England. Just as an example, a friend of mine from London who moved to Texas used to ask for the “fitting room” and get “Mam: this is the women’s clothes department, you need sports!” because they heard “fishing”

She also would order water and get “we don’t have that at the bar” they were hearing “Wu Tah” instead of “wah(t)errr” and assuming she was looking for some obscure rice wine.

Also I know Americans who just can’t comprehend London cockney accents in movies. So say a gangster scene is just a load of “aw raw aww raw awwww Arfur” nosies and they need subtitles.

They really aren't though as it's a one-way street when it comes to cultural exposure. The Yanks are some of the biggest NAVAL gazers on Earth.

Prolly has to do with all them fleets circling the globe

• Advertisement
Advertisement