Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rear road bike wheel recommendations?

Options
  • 02-11-2020 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I'm looking for a recommendation for a rear wheel or a wheel builder for my road bike commuter. Firstly I'm 19 stone and my back wheel gave up a few weeks ago after 4 years so just looking for something strong and not too expensive to do me for the winter as i have planned to buy a decent pair in the summer..Has to be rim brake and preferably black rim and spokes to match the front and take a shimano 11 speed too..Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Same weight. I found Mavic Aksiums great. I don’t think they are too expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

buffon wrote: »
    ..... or a wheel builder...
    Perhaps give your approx location.

Derek Humphries in Finglas (01 8342170) will build a wheel to meet your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 buffon

Perhaps give your approx location.

Derek Humphries in Finglas (01 8342170) will build a wheel to meet your needs.

I'm living in Leixlip but working all over Dublin so can collect from anywhere in that area

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

If going down the wheel build route, also consider:
    - Dara in Bee Cycles, South Circular Rd.
    - Cliff in Harry’s Bikes, Clonskeagh

I never had a wheel built for me, but I have heard good things about those guys wheel building skills. Both are dead on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 buffon

I plan to by the HUNT RACE AERO SUPERDURA WHEELSET in the new year (130kg limit) so im looking to keep the price down but ill definitely look into that..I have the cassette etc so Im not looking to spend more than €150 ish..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m10b0s176p1787/SPA-CYCLES-Handbuilt-Wheel-Rear-Choice-of-rim-105-hub

That's the rim
    https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m20b0s116p3640/KINLIN-XR-27R-Asymmetric

I'd rather a wider rim personally but a good wheeelbuilder will maker a strong wheel with that

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭WOT

The hunt wheel has the 31mm section height offset Kinlin XR-31RT rim.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m20b0s116p3832/KINLIN-XR-31RT

SPA built me a 36h rear with an ultegra hub for £135. 3000km done and it’s been superb including a fully loaded road trip carrying much more than the OP weighs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I bought a non-branded rear wheel in my LBS for €60 a couple of months ago. It has a higher spoke count so will be strong enough for most people. Perfect for my commuter

Advertisement