Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight mode over night issue

Options
  • 02-11-2020 9:54am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I've a 6s running iOS 14.1. I put it into flight mode at about 10pm. Often when the alarm goes off the wifi seems to either come on or has been on which I don't want first thing. It starts bringing in new emails too. Sometimes lose about 10% of battery.

Occasionally, I turn flight mode, the alarm goes off and the battery is 100%, bu that's rare. I'm not sure if the phone is detecting that I'm picking it up whilst I look at the alarm and therefore turning wifi on, or simply turning it on by itself over night. I'm definitely not leaving wifi on with flight mode...it's confusing.

I've had this niggle since iOS 13 at least.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Are you setting flight mode in Control Centre, or in Settings?

If you’re doing it in Control Centre, those settings are only temporary. WiFi automatically comes back on under various circumstances, including at 5am. Which would explain why your WiFi is back on in the morning.

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT208086

Settings in the Settings app are permanent until you set them to something else.

If you're turning off WiFi so you're not disturbed by notifications overnight, you could use "Do Not Disturb" in Settings: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204321

You can set an automatic schedule for it to come on and go off at different times, and allow calls from specific numbers that you might want to be able to contact you in an emergency. Your emails and other messages will still come in, just silently while Do Not Disturb is on. If you're doing it to save battery, it won't help, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you’re doing it in Control Centre, those settings are only temporary.

Cupertino: Users are idiots who dont know what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

I've just got back to iOS recently so a simple question (sorry!): when I toggle Wi-Fi / BT in the Control Centre and it says it will come back on the next day, does this mean strictly at midnight?

I tend to leave the phone in airplane mode, DND on, and Battery Low mode overnight weekdays (through the quick controls/control centre), just so the alarms will go off in the morning and to conserve power when not charging overnight.

rizzee wrote: »
    I've just got back to iOS recently so a simple question (sorry!): when I toggle Wi-Fi / BT in the Control Centre and it says it will come back on the next day, does this mean strictly at midnight?

No, the come back on at 5 AM local time the following day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

No, the come back on at 5 AM local time the following day

Very helpful, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

You say you have a 6s could It be your battery?
    Just something to add. I run a shortcut for when I go to bed that runs all these plus more. Might be so time to try. You can also set sleep up to turn on DND at a certain time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Are you setting flight mode in Control Centre, or in Settings?

If you’re doing it in Control Centre, those settings are only temporary. WiFi automatically comes back on under various circumstances, including at 5am. Which would explain why your WiFi is back on in the morning.

Settings in the Settings app are permanent until you set them to something else.

Historically, Control Centre from the home screen, yeah. When I go to Settings - Settings - Control Centre I don't see anything there to play around with the WiFi.
    You say you have a 6s could It be your battery?
    Just something to add. I run a shortcut for when I go to bed that runs all these plus more. Might be so time to try. You can also set sleep up to turn on DND at a certain time.

Don't think so, I hope not. I had a 5s before and the battery lasted about 2 years, iirc. This is about 18 month olds.

I'm trying DND 10pm-7am.

I've gotten out of the habit of looking at my phones first thing in the morning, try to leave them in flight mode until I've done a few body stretches and make porridge. Going well, so far.

Historically, Control Centre from the home screen, yeah. When I go to Settings - Settings - Control Centre I don't see anything there to play around with the WiFi.

Just Settings > WiFi is the one that will permanently disable Wi-Fi until you choose to turn it back in again. Same goes for Airplane Mode, Bluetooth and Mobile Data. The toggles for all of these in Control Centre are temporary, the main ones accessible from the Settings screen are permanent.

Advertisement