Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 12 Pro Max - you in?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I bought a refurb MacBook Pro last November and it only showed me the 7 day trial, not the free year. Got onto Apple via chat, and they sorted out within minutes. Then in February, I got an iPad (also a refurb), and when I activated it, it automatically added and extra free year onto my Apple TV+. So now I have it free until February 2022.
    It shouldn’t have stacked according to the t/c’s didn’t stack when I got my MacBook

Hello from my iPhone 12 pro max and myself coming form 6s plus I love it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I just insured mine with loveitcoverit. Had to. Can relax a bit now.

Question, may be stupid one, when checking the phone storage why does iCloud Drive appear as part of the phones overall storage?

So I have 128gb on the phone and pay for 50gb off Apple. Why is the iCloud drive storage appearing as part of the 128gb available in the iPhone storage section ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

you’ll see an iCloud entry in the list under your local storage. Click into it and it explains that “Your most recent accessed files are downloaded to this device for quick access. The original files remain safely stored in iCloud”.

Basically it just caches files locally for speed. If you run low on local space, it will automatically purge these and just rely straight on the iCloud versions. It’ll only use local space if it’s available, and only to speed up access or retain access if you’re offline. The “real” file is still in the cloud.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    It shouldn’t have stacked according to the t/c’s didn’t stack when I got my MacBook

Yeah, I think it might have been because Apple had to intervene to give me the first year free from the MBP. Maybe whatever way they enabled it didn’t flag it as a “free year”, so the second one was allowed to be enabled. Not complaining anyway!

• Advertisement

you’ll see an iCloud entry in the list under your local storage. Click into it and it explains that “Your most recent accessed files are downloaded to this device for quick access. The original files remain safely stored in iCloud”.

Basically it just caches files locally for speed. If you run low on local space, it will automatically purge these and just rely straight on the iCloud versions. It’ll only use local space if it’s available, and only to speed up access or retain access if you’re offline. The “real” file is still in the cloud.

Cheers, that explains it well. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Has Eir got stock of them does anyone know?

I’m after either a silver or graphite one, but the price list I got (from an Eir business agent) has the wrong colours on for some reason (red, blue, white, black?

Sounds on new phone is so good unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

peteeeed wrote: »
    My phone was in a van in swords at 7am and it's still down for delivery today, never made it to Bray �� ups can't be beaten

It's now in finglas

Update now here, it wasn't put in the drivers scanner so was left in his van last night, sorted, happy Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

Mine arrived yesterday - in general pretty pleased. It's a MUCH nicer form factor. The shape is just better. I don't know why they changed it from the iPhone 4/5 form, other than just to be different. This is the shape the iPhone should just be. If I was Apple, I'd lean into it, and just 'own' the square sided phone from here on in.

Anyway, I came from an 11 Pro Max, and to be honest, the 12 Pro Max feels pretty much identical to use. Some nice new wallpapers. The screen is exceptionally vivid and clear. The cameras seem a little bit better, but it's hard to tell really because the 11 was so good. Mostly, there's very little difference so if you're on an 11 you're not missing much. Of course I realise I'm very lucky -I can afford to upgrade and I enjoy technology but I'd say this would be a MUCH better experience if you were coming from anything up to an iPhone X. That would be a no brainer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Mine arrived yesterday - in general pretty pleased. It's a MUCH nicer form factor. The shape is just better. I don't know why they changed it from the iPhone 4/5 form, other than just to be different. This is the shape the iPhone should just be. If I was Apple, I'd lean into it, and just 'own' the square sided phone from here on in.

Anyway, I came from an 11 Pro Max, and to be honest, the 12 Pro Max feels pretty much identical to use. Some nice new wallpapers. The screen is exceptionally vivid and clear. The cameras seem a little bit better, but it's hard to tell really because the 11 was so good. Mostly, there's very little difference so if you're on an 11 you're not missing much. Of course I realise I'm very lucky -I can afford to upgrade and I enjoy technology but I'd say this would be a MUCH better experience if you were coming from anything up to an iPhone X. That would be a no brainer.

I’m also on the 11 Pro Max. Considering upgrading. What’s the battery like compared to 11?

pad199207 wrote: »
    I’m also on the 11 Pro Max. Considering upgrading. What’s the battery like compared to 11?

Unplugged my phone at 11am this morning 100% battery it’s now 1:12pm and I’m on 89%

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

pad199207 wrote: »

The battery seems more or less the same to me. Hard to tell after just one day. It's technically slightly smaller in capacity, but Apple rates it the same and presumably has made some efficiencies elsewhere in the design to make up for the slight smaller battery.

I came from an iPhone X to the 11 Pro Max and was blown away by how much better the battery was. This is the same basically, so if you're on an X or lower handset, you'll be blown away by the battery. If you're coming from an 11 Pro Max, probably not so much.

But . . . Like everyone else I'm at home A LOT more than I was last year, so really battery means nothing at the moment. I could charge it five times a day and not really be inconvenienced. And you have to think that over the lifetime of the 12 Pro Max, not nearly as many people are going to actually need a super long battery life.

It'll be next summer at the earliest before things go back to normal, and then we'll be talking about the iPhone 13 Pro Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I've moved from xs max to the 12 Pro max, massive improvements in the camera for me and I've just downloaded 14.3 beta which has the new apple Pro raw format

Unplugged at 8.30 this morning and currently on 76%. Moderate usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Unplugged at 8.30 this morning and currently on 76%. Moderate usage.

Give it a few days, even a week to settle in. Are you disappointed in battery?? I’m more than happy so far

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Give it a few days, even a week to settle in. Are you disappointed in battery?? I’m more than happy so far

Not at all it seems great so far. Stand by time looks to be brilliant. Stand by time on my new iPad Pro is fantastic and this looks the same.

Only thing left for me is the watch and The ecosystem is complete.

Unplugged at 11am and now it’s 6:19pm I’m at 82% on and off all day on 12 pro max

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Unplugged at 11am and now it’s 6:19pm I’m at 82% on and off all day on 12 pro max

Yeah battery has been pretty good for me. Unplugged @ 06:30 (85%) this morning and it’s currently at 56%

Standby time is ridiculous! Stayed at 85% for 6hrs

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

It’s a brand new phone with a brand new battery, let’s wait a few months before we make any real comparisons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Aquos76 wrote: »
    It’s a brand new phone with a brand new battery, let’s wait a few months before we make any real comparisons.

‘How is the battery life’ type questions are completely meaningless. Unless there is full data on how the phone is being used, stating that there is ‘still xx% after xx hours’ means nothing.

13 hours in phone is 79% using it’s on all my apps all day Jesus I’m not gonna charge it tonight lol

Anyone else going without a screen protector? Might get a film one but can’t find any yet. Much prefer it with nothing at all tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Gekko wrote: »
    Has Eir got stock of them does anyone know?

I’m after either a silver or graphite one, but the price list I got (from an Eir business agent) has the wrong colours on for some reason (red, blue, white, black?

I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

A day behind, but mine is on the DHL truck this morning :)

Got the 12 Pro Max for my wife as an xmas present, so it's been sitting hidden in the wardrobe since it arrived. To be a surprise.

Today she came to me in a panic to say that her old and battered 7 Plus had died. We tried everything to revive it, but to no avail. Total brick. Seemingly she dropped it down the toilet yesterday, and then bounced it off the bathroom floor trying to dry it. It worked then, but this morning it just gave up.

I stuck the sim in a very old crap Android, just so she'd get her phone ability back, but to see her sad little face :(

So, out came the early Christmas pressie to save the day! Delighted, she is.

Now I'll still have to get her something to give on Christmas day. Hopefully Penneys will be open for socks before then.

(and yes, I got her an Otterbox case, I knew the old phone would end this way)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Got the 12 Pro Max for my wife as an xmas present, so it's been sitting hidden in the wardrobe since it arrived. To be a surprise.

Today she came to me in a panic to say that her old and battered 7 Plus had died. We tried everything to revive it, but to no avail. Total brick. Seemingly she dropped it down the toilet yesterday, and then bounced it off the bathroom floor trying to dry it. It worked then, but this morning it just gave up.

I stuck the sim in a very old crap Android, just so she'd get her phone ability back, but to see her sad little face :(

So, out came the early Christmas pressie to save the day! Delighted, she is.

Now I'll still have to get her something to give on Christmas day. Hopefully Penneys will be open for socks before then.

(and yes, I got her an Otterbox case, I knew the old phone would end this way)

what are the odds she knew???? ;)

she played you dude :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

DHL delivered 40 mins ago, up and running. I love this phone. It’s superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Anyone manage to get a 12 Pro max in B&M Vodafone store? They seem to have gone out of stock online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Anyone manage to get a 12 Pro max in B&M Vodafone store? They seem to have gone out of stock online.

I've tried a few and they're all saying they have no visibility on what is coming in and when.

Advertisement