Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

V&V Forum Feedback Thread

Options

Comments

Would be a shame to try and seperate vegans and vegetarians.

I’d like to see both contribute to the forum.

Vegetarians would be more likely to be considerate, of vegans, when posting and vice versa.

Maybe for things like recipes it would be a good idea to have threads for vegans or vegetarians.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I think the forum should be allowed to be as one sided as
    most of its posters want it to be. Like at least one of the other forums here are allowed to be, and having a vegan mod would probably help with that. Although as a vegetarian I do occasionally feel like I'm not good enough to post here!

Example:

Hunting, if you express a dislike of hunting more than a couple of times you're gone, discussion gets "shot down", and you're clearly not welcome there. It's an entirely pro hunting forum, and you're left in no doubt reading their charter.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I think the forum should be allowed to be as one sided as at least one of the other forums here are allowed to be. And having a vegan mod would probably help with that. Although as a vegetarian I do occasionally feel like I'm not good enough to post here!

Example:

Hunting, if you express a dislike of hunting more than a couple of times you're gone, discussion gets "shot down", and you're clearly not welcome there. It's an entirely pro hunting forum, and you're left in no doubt reading their charter.

Shame to hear that you occasionally don’t feel good enough to post here.

I can’t imagine anyone would want to make you feel that way.

I was vegetarian for almost 20 years before I went vegan and would never make any comment to a vegetarian about going vegan.

I agree with all your suggestions too.

Shame to hear that you occasionally don’t feel good enough to post here.

I can’t imagine anyone would want to make you feel that way.

I don't think it's intentional, it's a zeal for the issue some have that can be daunting, but nothing they should apologise for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Just a few comments in recent months that went without sanction.

These type of comments should bring an instant permanent ban. There is no benefit to it, and the person will never contribute in a constructive manner. A warning or yellow card is just delaying the inevitable.

Is that nonsense from your cult handbook or what?
    Like any child reared in a cult. Monkey see monkey do. Leaving a child malnourished in a first world country because of a deranged narrative or as I more commonly known as “ belief” is disgusting.
    Vegan “charities”.. your wasting your time trying to reason with these zealots. When a person becomes radicalised to an extreme group and get that slightly zombie like deranged stare, and identify their religion as their identity, it’s a waste of time and energy trying to have a reasonable logical conversation.

Let the corporate food processors milk away on their belligerent stupidity I say.
    Requiring regular blood tests, artificial supplements. The diet is an ethical choice for people based on a nonsensical narrative. It’s unfortunate it didn’t render some of the examples above sterile quite quickly enough to save the suffering of their innocent offspring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Look at the dairy thread now. A poster being bullied by 3 farmers because of his beliefs. It's just ridiculous.

Look at the dairy thread now. A poster being bullied by 3 farmers because of his beliefs. It's just ridiculous.

An absolute perfect example of what’s wrong with the forum.

Can't think of too many, or any forums in fact where this would be allowed to continue. It'd be called trolling everywhere else. If a dairy thread on f&f was bombarded with anti posters would it be allowed to continue, or should it be allowed to continue?

Not a dig at current mod, they need help and clear guidelines (god I love a good charter) that this forum is for discussion but primarily for vegan/vegetarian discussions, and feel free to not post here if you can't respect these views in a reasonable way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I think the forum should be allowed to be as one sided as
    most of its posters want it to be. Like at least one of the other forums here are allowed to be, and having a vegan mod would probably help with that. Although as a vegetarian I do occasionally feel like I'm not good enough to post here!

Example:

Hunting is a legal activity that is often the target of keyboard warriors. The hunting/shooting section probably talks about law as much as the legal discussion forum.

Now to my 2c.

My first interaction with the v&v forum was a poster asking about dairy calves, I answered the question and suggested they ask such questions in the f&f forum. That poster then started posting videos of animal abuse obviously the poster wanted to talk to an echo chamber rather than talk to the people with the experience.

Yes threads suggesting farming is cruel is going to attract defensive posts from farmers and will keep doing until threads like those stop.
    Banning discussion about certain topics is not unusual on boards. In the animal and pets forum there is a ban on the discussion of killing animals which leads to new posters seeing animal in the forum title posting looking for help to deal with rats or mice no mention of poison or traps is permitted so these threads get locked and the poster gets pointed elsewhere.

ganmo wrote: »
    Hunting is a legal activity that is often the target of keyboard warriors. The hunting/shooting section probably talks about law as much as the legal discussion forum.

Now to my 2c.

My first interaction with the v&v forum was a poster asking about dairy calves, I answered the question and suggested they ask such questions in the f&f forum. That poster then started posting videos of animal abuse obviously the poster wanted to talk to an echo chamber rather than talk to the people with the experience.

Yes threads suggesting farming is cruel is going to attract defensive posts from farmers and will keep doing until threads like those stop.
    Banning discussion about certain topics is not unusual on boards. In the animal and pets forum there is a ban on the discussion of killing animals which leads to new posters seeing animal in the forum title posting looking for help to deal with rats or mice no mention of poison or traps is permitted so these threads get locked and the poster gets pointed elsewhere.

Unless you thread ban posters then defensive posts from farmers are no longer an issue. And they can discuss the good about dairy in their forum?

• Advertisement

Now to my 2c.

You say -

‘Yes threads suggesting farming is cruel is going to attract defensive posts from farmers and will keep doing until threads like those stop.’

I say -

You’re trying to defend the indefensible. Farming is cruel. That’s my opinion. I don’t need you to waste your time, or my time, trying to convince me otherwise.

You can’t make threads like that stop. You’re not the thought police.

That's the thing, the ideologies are opposed, so there'll never be agreement or shift in views. What's the point in a never ending argument between farmers and vegans? It just creates toxicity and tension.

Unless you thread ban posters then defensive posts from farmers are no longer an issue. And they can discuss the good about dairy in their forum?

I'm suggesting a ban on the topic of animal cruelty in the v&v forum.

I know, and I don't agree, at all. Farming forum has its rules, V&V should have rules where discussion can't be beaten down by weight of numbers.

You can’t make threads like that stop. You’re not the thought police.

I can't, Boards and mods can

I know, and I don't agree, at all. Farming forum has its rules, V&V should have rules where discussion can't be beaten down by weight of numbers.

How do you suggest dealing with 'never ending argument between farmers and vegans? It just creates toxicity and tension'?

How do you suggest dealing with 'never ending argument between farmers and vegans? It just creates toxicity and tension'?

Honestly?

In original post it suggests safe haven option. I would suggest that option, and that modding is heavily skewed toward v&v, so farmers opinions, in v&v, would be of less concern than a vegan.

Farming has a very big and thriving forum, it doesn't need to rule another one.

I say this as a vegetarian, not a vegan, so I enjoy milk, and am complicit in what some find abhorrent. But it's unfair that a small minority forum gets the runaround because a majority outside of it don't agree with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

When posts are put up accusing farmers of being cruelty merchants in the day to day running of their business then posters should not think that someone will not come on from the farming community to rebut these accusations.

I find it laughable that some of the posters here put up posts taking swipes at other posters or accusations of cruelty and then moan when someone calls out the post or tries to defend their reputation on boards.

Honestly?

In original post it suggests safe haven option. I would suggest that option, and that modding is heavily skewed toward v&v, so farmers opinions, in v&v, would be of less concern than a vegan.

Farming has a very big and thriving forum, it doesn't need to rule another one.

I say this as a vegetarian, not a vegan, so I enjoy milk, and am complicit in what some find abhorrent. But it's unfair that a small minority forum gets the runaround because a majority outside of it don't agree with them.

So you want people to wear a veg badge to get special attention? If you want a safe haven then make the v&v forum private. That would probably kill the forum though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I've taken this from the current charter. This is not being enforced. On a daily basis there are numerous posters breaching it.
    Be supportive

This is a supportive community. Boards is a unique online resource in that it is one of the only places online where vegetarians and vegans are not segregated. This is a good thing. We share the same goals, so let's not alienate eachother by shaming or assuming elitism. At the same time, please be accepting of our differences and don't be insulted by the truth. Don't view the sharing of vegan information as propaganda, just because you make different choices. Sharing vegan information is not an aim to brainwash you or to recruit you. The power of choice is in your hands only, no need to feel threatened by the truth. Please be tactful with thread titles and posts, your aim should never be to insult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I thought the forum was a place where non meat/dairy folk could share recipes, new products, events and general chit chats. Seems a better fit than the main food forum. All it seems to be is debates on the ethics involved and debate ensues. I'm pretty sure if I went over to the farming forum, hunting forum or food forum and went on the offensive with anyone involved in the killing of an animal I'd - rightly - be told where to go. Why is this not the case here?

There was a recent thread that turned into an absolute head melt of a thread and left me personally feeling the entire premise of the thread had been a set up to stoke an argument - apologies to the OP if it was genuinely posted in good faith.

I don't think anyone using this forum should feel they have to defend their diet. Its one of the few places a vegan or vegetarian should be able to post without having to deal with jokes or get into debates. It would make you not want to post here anymore.

If the food producers want a discussion on farming should their own form not be the place to do it?

So you want people to wear a veg badge to get special attention? If you want a safe haven then make the v&v forum private. That would probably kill the forum though

Yep, I want to prioritise posters who practice v&v or have a genuine interest. Just like every other forum prioritise their genuine posters. It really isn't an alien concept on boards, it's everywhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note:
    Rest assured that we really are taking your feedback on board and are committed to making this a friendly and pleasant forum for everyone :)

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Yep, I want to prioritise posters who practice v&v or have a genuine interest. Just like every other forum prioritise their genuine posters. It really isn't an alien concept on boards, it's everywhere.

So would threads like this have a place in your forum?
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058060537/1

If you want a positive place for discussion of horrible stuff like that wouldn't be in it would it?

So would threads like this have a place in your forum?
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058060537/1

If you want a positive place for discussion of horrible stuff like that wouldn't be in it would it?

Yes. No problem with that thread. Where did I say I wouldn't want "horrible stuff"?

Anyway, I've offered my feedback, I don't think I'm adding anything new now so will leave it to others.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

No. That's not happening here.

I'm a meat eater and even I can grasp that one of the fundamental tenets of a vegan/ vegetarian lifestyle is usually based on the person's personal belief that meat production is cruel.

Stop having a go at posters trying to have a constructive discussion.

We will not be making the forum private. There's no need when proper moderation ensures that discussion is centred on a V&V point of view.

There are many forums on boards that ARE a safe haven for the people who want to discuss things that are relevant to them. Go look at the charters for LBGT, The Ladies Lounge, The Gentleman's Club, Shooting, Soccer and ironically, even Farming to see that their charters clearly protect the interests and the ethos of their contributors. No reason why it can't happen here.

Neyite wrote: »

I'm a meat eater and even I can grasp that one of the fundamental tenets of a vegan/ vegetarian lifestyle is usually based on the person's personal belief that meat production is cruel.

We will not be making the forum private. There's no need when proper moderation ensures that discussion is centred on a V&V point of view.

There are many forums on boards that ARE a safe haven for the people who want to discuss things that are relevant to them. Go look at the charters for LBGT, The Ladies Lounge, The Gentleman's Club, Shooting, Soccer and ironically, even Farming to see that their charters clearly protect the interests and the ethos of their contributors. No reason why it can't happen here.

I have agreed with posters saying that all agriculture has a degree of cruelty about it but being called evil etc is a step too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Neyite wrote: »

I think i can see where the feed back is going from your post. Whatever ye decide I hope that this place is moderated in a balanced way and that threads put up by certain posters in here to just have a go at farmers are closed / looked at carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Should posts that promote quack cures based on vegan diets be allowed in any forum bar the Conspiracy Theory forum ?

I personally believe it is reckless to allow this type of posting. Take the current thread on beans, the presenter claims those that take Aromatase Inhibitors for Breast Cancer can replace them with mushroom extract.

• Advertisement

jh79 wrote: »
    Should posts that promote quack cures based on vegan diets be allowed in any forum bar the Conspiracy Theory forum ?

I personally believe it is reckless to allow this type of posting. Take the current thread on beans, the presenter claims those that take Aromatase Inhibitors for Breast Cancer can replace them with mushroom extract.

It must be in the video someone posted? Why are you even watching or reading that thread about beans, in the veg/vegan forum? See this is another thing, farmers come in and scrutinise everything looking for flaws and holes to pick at, even in people's diets. Wtf is that all about? Why do farmers care what vegans eat?
    Are farmers also in the cooking/recipes forum pointing out that certain foods are overly processed and unhealthy? It's ridiculous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement