Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

hmmm wrote: »

I take back my comment on all peer reviewed papers potentially having merit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Sweden state pathologist seems very surprised by the second wave. In fact says nobody could have predicted or anticipated it in Europe.

https://twitter.com/zorinaq/status/1323734890060238848?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

hmmm wrote: »

Thats some bedtime reading for me sorted then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

Sweden state pathologist seems very surprised by the second wave. In fact says nobody could have predicted or anticipated it in Europe.

I’d laugh only it’s too serious......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Compared to the majority of our fellow European countries Ireland is handling the pandemic well.

Time we acknowledged it.

Look at the graphs. Most countries are seeing multiples of the first wave and are locking down now
    Ireland moved very early and our restrictions are suppressing the spread.

• Advertisement

For those here wanting a glimpse of how one research paper was peer reviewed, near the end if the last covid thread is_that_so gave us this link

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2918-0

Scroll down to the end of the page to click on the peer review file to see how it works and how a paper thsts preprint travels to the route to peer reviewed.
    Interesting paper only third way through. Thanks to the original poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Compared to the majority of our fellow European countries Ireland is handling the pandemic well.

Yes we are doing better than most of Europe, not as well as we could have done but still in comparison we are doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Bog standard anti body tests don't pick up T Cell reaction as far as I'm aware and T Cells appear to drive protection.

Can't exactly draw conclusions from them tests

Antibody tests test for antibodies usually using an immunoassay, it’s not that easy to measure T-cell response although Covid is now driving the technology it’s still a bit of a dark art.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Most European countries are saying it's worse than their worst case scenario, not sure what the obsession with Sweden is they are doing far better than many similar size countries (Belgium, Netherlands) far worse than many others.

Most European countries are saying it's worse than their worst case scenario, not sure what the obsession with Sweden is they are doing far better than many similar size countries (Belgium, Netherlands) far worse than many others.
    Sweden just went off the deep end.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Sweden just went off the deep end.

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You might want to look at their deaths per million compared to any country I. Europe and particularly those of similar population size - they are most certainly not doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Antibody tests test for antibodies usually using an immunoassay, it’s not that easy to measure T-cell response although Covid is now driving the technology it’s still a bit of a dark art.

Yup what i was trying to point out to the OP, you explained it better than I did, a negative anti body test at the moment doesn't really mean much.

As you say big drive on technology, link posted to one UK group attempting to collaborate with public health England on a T cell test primed for covid.

How?
    10,177 new cases since Friday and 31 deaths reported this morning.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    You might want to look at their deaths per million compared to any country I. Europe and particularly those of similar population size - they are most certainly not doing well.

They are doing better than, Italy, Spain, Belgium, UK etc, unfortunately there are alot of countries not doing well, there seems to be an obsession with making out they are the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

That's some deep stuff. I don't have time to read it but not sure it's true.....I'll still invest in the jade obviously.

531655.jpg

Oh dear lord....

10,177 new cases since Friday and 31 deaths reported this morning.

2500 a day, Belgium had over 20k a day last week for 3 days running, I think Sweden is approximately 10 million population and Belgium 11

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Just posted this on the Sweden avoiding lockdown thread....

Nobody is Swedish bashing , on the contrary it is the unbelievable exaggeration by some here and on the other threads of the great difference between Sweden's response and its effects in comparison to other countries who have locked down, that results in the kickback now that its not going so well for them .

2500 a day, Belgium had over 20k a day last week for 3 days running, I think Sweden is approximately 10 million population and Belgium 11
    This is only the start of it, it's about to go crazy in Sweden.

I am not saying they are doing well, just not as bad as some would like to make out,they are doing alot better than ni which considering we are on the same same island should be of more interest but many on here are more focused on Sweden

• Advertisement

You might be be able to help with an answer to a question I have wondered about. Would it be unsual for a person to still have immunity to all the long list of childhood 'wild' type diseases decades later?

This is only the start of it, it's about to go crazy in Sweden.

You are right, it's at a high growth rate, hopefully it won't reach the same numbers as Belgium or ni but it is heading that way.

Yes Belgium are in a very bad place . Does that mean Sweden is doing ok ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

I follow this guy on twitter, Phd in Tcell immunology.
    He seems to think its bad news, each infection ages the Tcells and reinfection possible every year.
    Just his theory, data has to catch up.
    Still, interesting to watch.
    https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1297346477002547205?s=20

SeaBreezes wrote: »

Had a poster argue with me on the restrictions thread that it wasn't happening in Belgium, just unions pushing for more:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I think it's more to do with the herd immunity "strategy" that was held up as evidence by crackpots that we should let it rip. Sweden did not categorise the approach as this but didn't stop people holding them up as an example of how to let it rip. Looking less like a strategy and more like a folly. It's easy to make it look like a good idea in the summer, winter proving to be a bit more tricky.

Time we acknowledged it.

Look at the graphs. Most countries are seeing multiples of the first wave and are locking down now
    Ireland moved very early and our restrictions are suppressing the spread.

If only Covid was the only issue in society...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

SeaBreezes wrote: »

Brussels ran out of ICU beds today

• Advertisement

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Had a poster argue with me on the restrictions thread that it wasn't happening in Belgium, just unions pushing for more:(

Alot of unwell/weird people on that thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement