Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Had a poster argue with me on the restrictions thread that it wasn't happening in Belgium, just unions pushing for more:(

That's terrible. Is there any evidence of Belgian doctor's unions being so dodgy. I find that hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Yes Belgium are in a very bad place . Does that mean Sweden is doing ok ?

The reality is that how we do is always on a comparison basis, I am getting 30k a year, that's great, I hear someone is getting 50k for doing less, I am on strike, it's human nature, while the analogy is not relevant I think it is obvious what I mean, it's all relative.

That's terrible. Is there any evidence of Belgian doctor's unions being so dodgy. I find that hard to believe.

You know the answer, you are very transparent, surely if that is the crap on one thread it should be left there rather than drawing it into another

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

SeaBreezes wrote: »

Is this verified ? I don't see how that could be the case , Belgium has 1300 covid patients in ICU out of 2000 bed maximum overflow capacity

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

217k cases in Belgium in the past 14 days. Incidence rate approachin 2k/100k. Absolutely mad numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

speckle wrote: »
    You might be be able to help with an answer to a question I have wondered about. Would it be unsual for a person to still have immunity to all the long list of childhood 'wild' type diseases decades later?

T Memory cells or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Is this verified ? I don't see how that could be the case , Belgium has 1300 covid patients in ICU out of 2000 bed maximum overflow capacity

Presumably there's regional variations in capacity? I don't know how feasible it is to airlift a critically ill patient to another hospital...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.eu/article/intensive-care-units-in-brussels-hit-capacity/amp/

Presumably there's regional variations in capacity? I don't know how feasible it is to airlift a critically ill patient to another hospital...

I was thinking that about regional difference but I thought with Belgium being a small country in physical size that might not apply , especially as some patients have even been sent to Germany already

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They are aiifting patients on ventilators to Germany

https://www.google.com/amp/s/uk.finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/belgium-launches-covid-patient-air-131025338.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You might be be able to help with an answer to a question I have wondered about. Would it be unsual for a person to still have immunity to all the long list of childhood 'wild' type diseases decades later?

To be honest it’s a hard question to answer, from what I believe some immunity from childhood illness is encoded in your ancestral DNA... of course by the time you are exposed to the illness as a child your body does not have antibodies but once the immune system kicks in there is a residual memory to produce antibodies. Of course this can be carried through life and less likely to a problem in the future.

Wether someone has life long immunity it’s hard to say, depends on the person.

I suppose all this is works in the same way a vaccine has multiple doses, first dose produces an initial antibody response and 2nd dose boosts it.

Although I probably a better understanding than most this is not really my field, I work have 23 years experience in Clinical chemistry, Immunology, Molecular and Nuclear Diagnostics.

Had a poster argue with me on the restrictions thread that it wasn't happening in Belgium, just unions pushing for more:(
    You know the answer, you are very transparent, surely if that is the crap on one thread it should be left there rather than drawing it into another

What are you on about? I don't know anything about Belgian Doctor / nurse unions, hence why I asked the poster. We've already seen allegations that teacher's unions are taking advantage of the crisis to further pay talks here. So while it's not a nice thought there may be some truth to it. Transparent, what are you on about?

The unions there are having a very tough time of it there.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1322374251966533633?s=20

mandrake04 wrote: »
    To be honest it’s a hard question to answer, from what I believe some immunity from childhood illness is encoded in your ancestral DNA... of course by the time you are exposed to the illness as a child your body does not have antibodies but once the immune system kicks in there is a residual memory to produce antibodies. Of course this can be carried through life and less likely to a problem in the future.

I suppose all this is works in the same way a vaccine has multiple doses, first dose produces an initial antibody response and 2nd dose boosts it.

Although I probably a better understanding than most this is not really my field, I work have 23 years experience in Clinical chemistry, Immunology, Molecular and Nuclear Diagnostics.

If you don't mind a dumb question, just what is nuclear diagnostics? I always have a negative association with the phrasing

Respect, you have all that experience and you admit that you don't know, there are some on here without any experience but they know.

Global deaths have today exceeded 8000 for the first time since April and the third time ever

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Stheno wrote: »
    If you don't mind a dumb question, just what is nuclear diagnostics? I always have a negative association with the phrasing

https://www.snmmi.org/AboutSNMMI/Content.aspx?ItemNumber=6433

Wow can see why the Swedish expert is worried. Alot more cases than they were having before.

531670.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

SeaBreezes wrote: »

Ah, the new Italy. Breaks my heart. No doctor should have to decide who lives or not.

Thank god, we went for level 5 restrictions when we did. We could end up like any of those countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Wow impressive cv there. thanks for reply. Yes been searching to find answers, have had a brillant conversations with a couple immunologists over the years, was waiting for more scientific knowledge to appear always... seem to be non responders... have had everything you can thing of... some more than once.. second /third time etc always milder. Now decades upon decades later still immune/antibodys tests etc via medical testing. Always thought there might be something ancestral interestingly enough also. So fans of genealogy and always wondered if it might be able help others in any way. Have mentioned here before also have innate TB immunity. And potentialy a previous vespertillo induced disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

If only Covid was the only issue in society...

Those issues probably have threads too.

• Advertisement

Accounts out of Germany and Belgium worrying.

Issues with staffing levels due to burnout.
    Younger patients in ICU.
    surpassing previous wave

https://www.aerzteblatt.de/nachrichten/117975/Mehr-junge-COVID-19-Patienten-auf-den-Intensivstationen-als-im-Fruehjahr
    Hamburg / Groningen - More and more young COVID-19 patients have to be treated in the intensive care unit. The director of intensive care medicine at the University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf ( UKE ), Stefan Kluge, re- ports on this .

In contrast to the first wave of pandemics in spring, this time many younger people are affected, the professor told the radio station Bayern 2 today : "We look after several patients well under 50 years of age and some of them have no previous illnesses."
    Kluge, who is also a member of the executive board of the German In- terdisciplinary Association for Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine ( DIVI ), pointed out that the development in the number of intensive care patients lagged behind those of the infected by several days: “In a few days we will be what the number of As for hospital patients, surpass the first wave. And that is worrying. "

Dramatic situation in Belgium
    The situation in Belgium is even more dramatic, as reported by Thomas Scheeren, who works as an intensive care physician at the Reich University in Groningen in the Netherlands.
    “Belgian colleagues report that they no longer have to decide whether to ven- tilate 60- or 70-year-olds, but rather have to decide whether to save the life of a 30-year-old or a 50-year-old due to the complete overload of individual clinics “, Said Scheeren last Friday during a video conference organized by the CDU MEP Peter Liese.
    Scheeren fears that the Netherlands will also face another overload of the health care system. He warned against trivializing the corona virus. The mor- tality is ten times higher than with a virus flu and in addition to pneumonia, there is also severe organ failure.

COVID-19 is particularly stressful for caregivers. After the first wave, 20 per- cent of the nurses at his clinic are still unable to work due to burnout or other mental disorders.
    Liese: Playing down the virus is inhuman

Liese called for the burden of intensive care physicians and nurses in the corona pandemic to be included more in the public debate. "Some who talk about Corona talk about the color like the blind," he emphasized.

“Anyone who hears the descriptions of intensive care physicians and nurses can no longer downplay Corona. Even before the pandemic, we had a shortage of nurses, especially in intensive care. If we don't really show solidarity now and avoid infections, the shortage of nurses will worsen dramatically in the future. "

Liese also criticized all those who played down the virus. It is inhumane to want to go on with your normal life in this situation and to take the position that people at risk and those who deal with them have to take care of themselves.
    Liese warned of an overload of the medical system not only in Belgium, but also in other European countries. "The numbers I see from Switzerland and the Netherlands give cause for concern," he said.

"In Germany, despite better initial conditions, we will only avoid overloading if the measures that the federal and state governments have decided are now consistently implemented."

What are you on about? I don't know anything about Belgian Doctor / nurse unions, hence why I asked the poster. We've already seen allegations that teacher's unions are taking advantage of the crisis to further pay talks here. So while it's not a nice thought there may be some truth to it. Transparent, what are you on about?

The unions there are having a very tough time of it there.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1322374251966533633?s=20

Wrote a long reply to this post, then decided it is such rubbish it was not worthy of a decent reply,deleted it, goodnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Speaking as a Sligo man, having them not being able to field a team in the championship is far from a blow.

gaa guys again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Are posts landing in the wrong threads tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

marno21 wrote: »
    217k cases in Belgium in the past 14 days. Incidence rate approachin 2k/100k. Absolutely mad numbers.

Jesus

Knew it was bad there but that's insane

Absolutely ****ed with those numbers

They'll make Wuhan and Lombardy look mild

Germany have 4000 free ICU beds, hopefully they can help out

Stheno wrote: »

Mostly PET (Positron emission tomography) but I also worked on CT, X-Ray and MRI. Also worked in Nuclear medicine like LINAC and GAMMA knife which is used in Radiotherapy.

Respect, you have all that experience and you admit that you don't know, there are some on here without any experience but they know.

No one knows everything, although a lot on here pretend they do.

Funny when I was a school science was by far my strongest subject, I was one of the few ...the majority of my classmates either hated it or was just mediocre at it. I assume this was a trend at most schools.

Suddenly everyone is a scientist these days...even those old class mates that hated science so much and are working in menial jobs are now spouting fake information facebook as if they are some sort of expert.

Are posts landing in the wrong threads tonight?

What was your landing zone? Or is this a contribution?

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Jesus

Knew it was bad there but that's insane

Absolutely ****ed with those numbers

They'll make Wuhan and Lombardy look mild

Germany have 4000 free ICU beds, hopefully they can help out

It really is unbelievable 1 in every 28 people in all of Belgium is confirmed infected at this moment in time, and with their posivitiy rate of something like 30%+ it means they are also missing many cases. Belgians must have had ALOTTT of contacts before lockdown or else been throwing covid parties or something

• Advertisement

It really is unbelievable 1 in every 28 people in all of Belgium is confirmed infected at this moment in time, and with their posivitiy rate of something like 30%+ it means they are also missing many cases. Belgians must have had ALOTTT of contacts before lockdown or else been throwing covid parties or something

Where are you getting that figure
    ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement