Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

wadacrack wrote: »
    Shocked at the restrictions regarding playing competitive sport . We know the risk is very low with it being outdoors and no prolonged contact

The problems seem to only arise in the shebeen after county finals. Up the lads! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

froog wrote: »
    i think the downward trend is over now and will probably start rising again. too many people not giving an f anymore. january will be grim. another level 5 will be needed almost certainly.

I'd say rte would have you on quick enough. Tick all the boxes. Negative, baseless claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Renjit wrote: »
    The same people at risk paid for earlier generation too. Let's not forget that. The challenges for each generation is there.

They did nothing of the sort on the scale we are seeing now.

Another massive part of getting people to accept future lockdowns will be clear guidelines on a vaccine roll out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭aziz

D.Q wrote: »
    Another massive part of getting people to accept future lockdowns will be clear guidelines on a vaccine roll out

Like all the clear guidelines we had so far

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭AssetBacked2

i think the downward trend is over now and will probably start rising again. too many people not giving an f anymore. january will be grim. another level 5 will be needed almost certainly.

Basless claims of the day award goes to this BS post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

In the next few days I want to hear something from the government about their vaccine plan. The likes of the UK and Spain have already announced their intentions to the public. Time for us to do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

I'd say rte would have you on quick enough. Tick all the boxes. Negative, baseless claims.

you don't think cases will be pretty bad in january? why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Not as bad as I was expecting but looks like a backlog developing with swabs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

El Sueño wrote: »
    In the next few days I want to hear something from the government about their vaccine plan. The likes of the UK and Spain have already announced their intentions to the public. Time for us to do the same
    By 11 December the plan will be sent to government. They are working on it now.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1128/1181092-covid-vaccine-ireland/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

Big backlog or lots of follow up COVID test are still showing person as positive after week?

I actually don't care about cases in the slightest.

I don't think hospital numbers or deaths will be particularly different no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Some people are only content in the misery of others. For shame. Then I notice the join date on boards and realise their opinion is not worth a damn investing in.

So people who have just joined the forum shouldn't have an opinion :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I’m not sure what’s happening with the swabs now. By my estimation there’s a fairly considerate backlog.

I’m not sure what’s happening with the swabs now. By my estimation there’s a fairly considerate backlog.

Yes thats a worry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

People said December would be grim too with the flu yet here we are

And it won't be as bad because of the measures taken by this government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Fairly mad theres no cases of flu

• Advertisement

Crazy. Just shows how contagious Covid is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yes the discrepancy seems strange.

I know if someone who died suddenly during the week and they had to have a covid test before post mortem could take place. I never thought of cases like that being part of testing figures. Also of it did come back positive ( unlikely) would they count as a case if already deceased ?

ElJeffe wrote: »
    Crazy. Just shows how contagious Covid is.

Very early in flu season still. It usually takes off at Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Guess with wearing masks and social distancing levels would be lower than usual and less people going to see GPs in person makes a difference. And more people getting the flu vaccine including children. Would still think it might be picked up in hospitals and residential centres though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Yes thats a worry

Does it matter? The plan is in place now, nothing changes until after Jan 6th. So, who really cares about a number each day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Polar101

Can't say I mind too much. Hopefully it continues like that for a while longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Basless claims of the day award goes to this BS post.
    Head in the clouds award goes to this post.

Polar101 wrote: »

I think you are in Finland. I came down with flu shortly after I moved there and the morning after I flew over and moved to a new apartment. No food in the house. . No support nearby. I’ll never forget it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

Polar101 wrote: »

Lol

They're being counted as covid cases most likely, since the symptoms are similar.

In any case if we've magically hit zero influenza then that solves our hospital overcrowding problem surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Maybe they are offsetting the denotifications so that the number announced is the same as the total cases number increases by? No denotifications today.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Does it matter? The plan is in place now, nothing changes until after Jan 6th. So, who really cares about a number each day.

The plan is predicated on numbers being stable

If cases go up rapidly Tony and NPHET will be on quickly to change the plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

growleaves wrote: »
    Lol
    They're being counted as covid cases most likely, since the symptoms are similar.
    In any case if we've magically hit zero influenza then that solves our hospital overcrowding problem surely?

No they are not, unless you have something solid to back up your claim it appears to uterly baseless. We have tests for flu and tests for covid, symptoms don't come into it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Galway gone up today big funeral with estimated 1k attending with no social distance two weeks ago

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Galway gone up today big funeral with estimated 1k attending with no social distance two weeks ago

Traveller funeral?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭prunudo

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1332737250703122434?s=09

Wicklow moving up the table now after the a rise in numbers during the week. Seem to have stabilised now which is the main thing.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Traveller funeral?

Got it in one different rules for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Was that the father and son funeral, the fishermen, was such a tragic event so I can imagine a large crowd alright paying their respects.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Try and enjoy December, if ya can't maybe let the rest of us without doom and guilt.

Worry about the doom when and if it happens.

Dance a little and sing a little, even if it's alone. Be good for ya!

Was that the father and son funeral, the fishermen, was such a tragic event so I can imagine a large crowd alright paying their sympathies.

No that was ok they all stayed well apart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

There's been practically no flu in the southern hemisphere this year because of the measures to prevent covid spread. That's where our seasonal comes from.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/sep/17/falling-flu-rates-in-southern-hemisphere-offers-hope-as-winter-approaches-coronavirus?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Not as bad as I was expecting but looks like a backlog developing with swabs

In fairness, they have to hold a few cases back so they can show the impact of loosening restrictions. It would be poor value using them all up now:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ha, nice one. :D

It's really easy to see all in Galway, a lot of the parking is at the front of the shops. You've got Curry's, Harvey Norman, Smyth's toys, McDonald's and a bunch of others on one side of the road and then right across the other side there's another shopping centre with Tesco, Supermacs and lots of other shops and most of the parking is in front in those two shopping centres.
    Then not too far from there is the Westside and again a lot of the parking is in front.
    I don't live there but know it very well.

I've checked streetview too. Definitely packed.

The plan is predicated on numbers being stable

If cases go up rapidly Tony and NPHET will be on quickly to change the plan

Honestly, I cannot see that happening. That is a bridge too far for the government to litteraly "steal" Christmas from people.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Honestly, I cannot see that happening. That is a bridge too far for the government to litteraly "steal" Christmas from people.

To be honest I would rather see Christmas stolen than people lose their lives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Hell preachers in Dublin center screaming directly in peoples faces that they are going to burn in hell etc, all day nonstop. I know going on for years, and gardai dont do anything about them - but even now in covid 19 it is a completely hands off aproach. All day right at people, threatening and harassing them about hell, and likely spreading the virus

Who are these people, what organisation, does anyone know?

To be honest I would rather see Christmas stolen than people lose their lives

Good for you. I think the vast majority of people would like to see their family and enjoy some level of normality.

mloc123 wrote:
    Good for you. I think the vast majority of people would like to see their family and enjoy some level of normality.
    I think the vast majority would like to see their parents and/or grandparents get to the other side of covid.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think the vast majority would like to see their parents and/or grandparents get to the other side of covid.

And if your parents are old and/or high risk, you would do well to avoid them. But don't force that on the rest of the population also. You were happy when the pubs closed right because you used to be an alcoholic?

mloc123 wrote:
    And if your parents are old and/or high risk, you would do well to avoid them. But don't force that on the rest of the population also. You were happy when the pubs closed right because you used to be an alcoholic?
    You just said that people want to spend time with their families, I responded by saying that people want to see their parents and/or grandparents get to the other side of this thing.
    I think you are wrong about what the majority wants.
    I'm happy the pubs were closed due to the risks.
    I got into a conversation about my drinking history but I never felt I was an alcoholic. I was a big binge drinker but never ever felt I needed a drink. As soon as we had our first child I stopped doing it. I drink very occasionally now, like twice a year on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭obi604

Maybe it’s only me. But when I apply hand sanitizer and then go out in the cold air straight away.......my hands are uncomfortably cold for a few minutes, like freezing.

Anyone else experience this?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement