Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Will all be for nothing?

How many other countries have minks?

Will they do the same?

Finland has about one million minks. The spokesperson for the local fur industry said they've been preparing for this, and that all human contact at the fur farms has been limited since the summer. He said they've not had any virus cases detected in minks. Workers wear masks etc.

Let's see how much of that is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

screamer wrote: »
    Denmark is going to lose an industry worth between 350 and 400 million euro when they cull the mink, and no EU money to prop that up. That’s huge cost to undertake to try and save humans from this new mutation, credit to them.

How will they kill 15 million mink?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Gael23 wrote: »

Humanely as possible, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

What sort of nonsense is this?

Doesn’t really explain how Ireland have done so poorly, certainly not so far ahead of Sweden

Not that I was expecting an explanation tbh

Do you mean the Sweden with 52.4% more deaths per 100,000 than Ireland? I've no idea.

Gael23 wrote: »

The same way they usually kill them for the fur. (carbon monoxide when they're three years old)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

This is a strange argument.

Anyhow, I’ve seen you debate against logic with irrational nonsense earlier today so I know when there’s no point

Source, I've seen some irrational nonsense out of you. What's your point. I don't think you are adding anything to the debate apart from attacking me.

Here's another gif which explains how we don't have to send ICU patients to another country like Belgium are sending to Germany.
    The whole "how were we supposed to know doesn't cut it"

Germany must have some amount of spare capacity because most neighbours wouldn't help if a neighbour knowingly put themselves in danger.

source.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Eod100 wrote: »
    Don't think there anyone would be surprised by this https://twitter.com/McConnellDaniel/status/1324068150921568257?s=19

Fair play Micheal

Bet he rolls over and just does whatever Tony wants for December

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

George Lee live on TV telling us what R rate of 0.7-0.9 means.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Polar101 wrote: »
    George Lee live on TV telling us what R rate of 0.7-0.9 means.

Is he extra sad not to have bad news tonight?

Heard Eamon Ryan on newstalk earlier saying they are adopting the European joint travel plan, and when the presenter said that went against what Tony Holohan advised in terms of no travel, Ryan said that the European travel plan was approved by the ECDC which was something they considered

Sounds to me the government is not entirely of the one mind, MM appears to slavishly take the advice of NPHET while others question it more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

If someone decides to go for a walk in a river, will their death be recorded as a COVID-related death or as suicide if they test positive for COVID during the post-mortem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

GazzaL wrote: »
    If someone decides to go for a walk in a river, will their death be recorded as a COVID-related death or as suicide if they test positive for COVID during the post-mortem?

death by misadventure probably

Numbers look to be coming down well, some age groups more than others. Hopefully the rate of decline keeps going. Will be interesting if schools keep steady.

531806.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭MelbourneMan

Stheno wrote: »
    Sounds to me the government is not entirely of the one mind, MM appears to slavishly take the advice of NPHET while others question it more

Hello. I dont really like to get involved in this type of speculation, but feel it worthwhile on this particular point, if it prevents erroneous impressions gaining legs is a forum discussion like this.

It is no secret that some differences of opinion have been expressed by some members of the government regarding NPHET advice. But as a body this has posed no substantial problems. Collectively they recognise the expertise backing the opinion and advice they are given, and those will little qualification to question it have, rightly, little sway. This element is not expected to impact negatively the government acting based on NPHET advice in future.

Is there any plan to resume treatment of long-term illnesses or are those people's lives not worth anything? Is it ok to sacrifice their wellbeing and their lives to prevent a largely asymptomatic spread of COVID? What's Tony's view on this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

GazzaL wrote: »
    Is there any plan to resume treatment of long-term illnesses or are those people's lives not worth anything? Is it ok to sacrifice their wellbeing and their lives to prevent a largely asymptomatic spread of COVID? What's Tony's view on this?

Did not hear Covid 19 is the only thing that can possibly kill or make you sick nowadays?

Hello. I dont really like to get involved in this type of speculation, but feel it worthwhile on this particular point, if it prevents erroneous impressions gaining legs is a forum discussion like this.

It is no secret that some differences of opinion have been expressed by some members of the government regarding NPHET advice. But as a body this has posed no substantial problems. Collectively they recognise the expertise backing the opinion and advice they are given, and those will little qualification to question it have, rightly, little sway. This element is not expected to impact negatively the government acting based on NPHET advice in future.

Hello, Hi, How are ya.

Are you trying to hint some sort of insider knowledge with these posts? Which of the parties (gov and NPHET) are you purporting to represent when you use "we".

Unfortunately you could be anybody or nobody, so your insights are no more relevant than any others on an anonymous forum.

GT89 wrote: »
    Did not hear Covid 19 is the only thing that can possibly kill or make you sick nowadays?

That's grand so. If NPHET are ok with severely disabled children suffering and regressing, then it must be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Humanely as possible, hopefully.

Like they did with the rabbits all.those years ago.
    A cull of certain humans would be more beneficial and I'm not talking.about the elderly or the vunerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Not sure if anyone posted this but corona virus has now spread from minks to humans in Denmark. They are culling 17 million. Hard to believe they still farm minks for fur like this nowadays, humanity deserves these diseases really.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/nov/04/denmark-announces-cull-of-15-million-mink-over-covid-mutation-fears

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Hello, Hi, How are ya.

Are you trying to hint some sort of insider knowledge with these posts? Which of the parties (gov and NPHET) are you purporting to represent when you use "we".

Unfortunately you could be anybody or nobody, so your insights are no more relevant than any others on an anonymous forum.

This is obviously a wind-up. Good one too. Paddy?

• Advertisement

Yes I recognise this........(expletive warning)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

Passed the local covid test centre earlier today, no cars there waiting for testing. Passed it 2 weeks ago and I counted 7 cars waiting in line, interesting to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Not sure if anyone posted this but corona virus has now spread from minks to humans in Denmark. They are culling 17 million. Hard to believe they still farm minks for fur like this nowadays, humanity deserves these diseases really.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/nov/04/denmark-announces-cull-of-15-million-mink-over-covid-mutation-fears

They must have discovered some scary ****

To incinerate €500m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Thierry12 wrote: »
    They must have discovered some scary ****

To incinerate €500m

Read about it. Sounds v bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

We are very lucky it was discovered in somewhere as competent as Denmark instead of a poorer, more corrupt, more inept government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

gally74 wrote: »
    Read about it. Sounds v bad

It does

Probably too late as well

They are saying they have found 783 humans infected from that new disease

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

We are very lucky it was discovered in somewhere as competent as Denmark instead of a poorer, more corrupt, more inept government.

Bats
    > intermediate host
    > humans... was the original route Covid19 at the start of the pandemic. The virus seems to have mutated to become more infectious and deadly in the intermediate host.

Now we have humans
    > minks & ? various other animals
    > humans... which is the BIG worry.

Though rare, covid has been found in many other animals at this stage, including a cat who got it twice !

Yet another reason why 'herd immunity by infection' or 'letting it rip' is such a very bad idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm just disappointed that such a supposedly progressive country is the biggest farmer of mink in the world. Poor little guys kept indoors in cages, millions and millions of them. I could never understand how the owners of these places can sleep at night. Their pig industry sounds awful as well, see article below, animals kept like this are just a melting pot for disease, I hope we move away from this kind of farming going forward.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/30/danish-bacon-what-happens-when-you-push-pigs-to-the-absolute-limit

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement