Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

It's like I told my shrink, minks will be the downfall of civilization.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

HSE Daily Operations Update

298 in hospital, decrease of 15.
    22 confirmed cases in hospitals today.
    40 in ICU, reduction of 3.
    1 death in ICU last 24 hours.
    23 ventilated, decrease of 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Bats
    > intermediate host
    > humans... was the original route Covid19 at the start of the pandemic. The virus seems to have mutated to become more infectious and deadly in the intermediate host.

Now we have humans
    > minks & ? various other animals
    > humans... which is the BIG worry.

Though rare, covid has been found in many other animals at this stage, including a cat who got it twice !

Yet another reason why 'herd immunity by infection' or 'letting it rip' is such a very bad idea.

I was just reading r/COVID-19, where opinions go beyond bro-science, and whilst there is a small bit of concern it appears most of them are playing it down and offering fascinating scientific evidence as to why its not such a big deal. Praising Denmark for being proactive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

That mink thing doesn’t sound great. They should really release more info about. They must have seen something bad to cull the whole herd.l but looks like no one knows. Any link for that post where hundreds of humans catching it? I’ve only seen 12 farm workers were infected.

They should release the scientific info asap. Hopefully it’s precautionary.

https://twitter.com/florian_krammer/status/1324020408593633282?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

We are very lucky it was discovered in somewhere as competent as Denmark instead of a poorer, more corrupt, more inept government.

True but just makes me a bit nervous of what is actually going on in those countries..that just hasn't been reported

• Advertisement

Prof. Francois Balloux, Director of the UCL genetics institute's Twitter thread on why the media reporting on the mink mutation is completely, and utterly, overblown.

"This is a typical example of all that is wrong with science and its communication in the #COVID19 era. An interesting observation gets misunderstood and blown out of proportion and ends up as a silly and confusing story fuelling further fear and confusion in the public."

https://twitter.com/BallouxFrancois/status/1324085761449304067?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Thierry12 wrote: »
    They must have discovered some scary ****

To incinerate €500m

Some Danish people on reddit were saying there has been a big push to ban cruel mink farming in the country so this is a good excuse. However I'm sure there was very good reason to justify this to the farm owners.

I wish some more information was released about it it sounds like some half truth headline you'd hear on daily mail about 'mutation' but seems to actually be legit. But elaboration on the significance very lacking as is discussion in the wider community about it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

HSE Daily Operations Update

298 in hospital, decrease of 15.
    22 confirmed cases in hospitals today.
    40 in ICU, reduction of 3.
    1 death in ICU last 24 hours.
    23 ventilated, decrease of 1.

Nice, under 300 again

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Some Danish people on reddit were saying there has been a big push to ban cruel mink farming in the country so this is a good excuse. However I'm sure there was very good reason to justify this to the farm owners.

I wish some more information was released about it it sounds like some half truth headline you'd hear on daily mail about 'mutation' but seems to actually be legit. But elaboration on the significance very lacking as is discussion in the wider community about it

There's very little to be concerned about right now. 12 confirmed cases with it, which means it hasn't been spreading very well. Nothing so far to suggest symptoms/fatality rate is different.
    I recommend reading the commentary on r/COVID19
    https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19/comments/jo2muy/mink_and_covid19/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Prof. Francois Balloux, Director of the UCL genetics institute's Twitter thread on why the media reporting on the mink mutation is completely, and utterly, overblown.

"This is a typical example of all that is wrong with science and its communication in the #COVID19 era. An interesting observation gets misunderstood and blown out of proportion and ends up as a silly and confusing story fuelling further fear and confusion in the public."

https://twitter.com/BallouxFrancois/status/1324085761449304067?s=20

That won't age well imo

He hasn't answered alot of questions on twitter

He had no answer for why Covid19 antibodies are not working on this strain and will current vaccines work on it

Danish CDC said Covid19 vaccine didn't work on it

If its overblown why did the Danes burn €500m

They've seen something that scared them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

We are very lucky it was discovered in somewhere as competent as Denmark instead of a poorer, more corrupt, more inept government.

Yes, except then it makes you wonder if there's similar situations in one of the other countries too.

But, at least this thing has been spotted, so something can be done about it. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Bats
    > intermediate host
    > humans... was the original route Covid19 at the start of the pandemic. The virus seems to have mutated to become more infectious and deadly in the intermediate host.

Now we have humans
    > minks & ? various other animals
    > humans... which is the BIG worry.

Though rare, covid has been found in many other animals at this stage, including a cat who got it twice !

Yet another reason why 'herd immunity by infection' or 'letting it rip' is such a very bad idea.

Yet, many posters who post here like to claim covid is just a little cold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

An living in DK, just saw the press conference. DK is the worlds biggest contributor to the mink farm market. We have 17million mink to be culled apparantly. Theyve been culling some farms already for a few mnths now, but this new mutation means curtains for the industry.
    Some people have been claiming that it is birds -seagulls etc that hang around the farms, that are the reason for the spread. They found covid on a seagulls foot apparantly. Now the state wants samples of birds ftom affected areas to be tested. Theyre enlisting the hunting association to help.
    They said worst case scenario its a new pandemic but its up to international biologists to make the decision on whether its a new "Covid20".

Another pandemic on top of what we already have? Stop the world and let me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I was just reading r/COVID-19, where opinions go beyond bro-science, and whilst there is a small bit of concern it appears most of them are playing it down and offering fascinating scientific evidence as to why its not such a big deal. Praising Denmark for being proactive.

Viruses jumping the so called 'species barrier' is never good news, considering it happened in SARS, MERS, the 1918 flu pandemic and in many other infectious diseases.

It may be an unlikely and rare phenomenon but cannot be shrugged off as irrelevant bro-science.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Just as light comes and this crap is nearing the end

Those clowns in mainland Europe have made Covid20

Covid19 went from a human to seagulls to minks and came back to humans as Covid20 and not responding well to Covid19 antibodies

They burning 20 million minks now, looking for infected seagulls and don't know how many humans have this Covid20

We really over rate out intelligence

Will we try to go for zero covid with this new pandemic? Sure, we can't handle the one we've got.

Scientist have limited info. Here's a thread with further info. Seemingly involves a mutation to the spike protein. It may be maladaptive. There's a similar mutation that was found in mink in Netherlands some months ago. It could be less suited to humans having originated in mink which is good. Similar mutation is prevalent here. Hopefully more info to come. As others have said it seems a drastic step to cull every mink in the country. If there is resistant to an antibody it doesn't necessarily mean vaccine wouldn’t be effected. More info there.
    This blue 'deletion' cluster is part of a larger cluster - one with the N439K mutation in Spike - one that already has caught the interest of scientists.

This cluster with N439K is found across Europe, including Ireland, where it has been fairly prevalent (pink).

https://twitter.com/firefoxx66/status/1324095153427107844?s=20

Viruses jumping the so called 'species barrier' is never good news, considering it happened in SARS, MERS, the 1918 flu pandemic and in many other infectious diseases.

It may be an unlikely and rare phenomenon but cannot be shrugged off as irrelevant bro-science.

I was reading a piece from the national geographic a few months ago. It said we know to some degree what's happening with covid in the human population. We don't know what's happening in the animal population. Or we can control it somewhat within humans. Not so much in animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Remember when the Syrian war was all we knew??

It's still ongoing yet we hear nothing about it since covid.

Strange times.

owlbethere wrote: »
    I was reading a piece from the national geographic a few months ago. It said we know to some degree what's happening with covid in the human population. We don't know what's happening in the animal population. Or we can control it somewhat within humans. Not so much in animals.

Yeah intensive farming allows the thing to hyper evolve. All of those animals in close proximity means it can get through hosts a lot quicker, resulting in quicker and more genetic changes. Some of these are bound to be advantageous to it.

The press conference mentioned the strain lowered the ability of immune system to make antibodies. How did they know this? I don’t there was a study so maybe the saw something in the communities there.

Hopefully we have more info tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

They must have discovered some scary ****

To incinerate €500m

Ireland has a deficit of 30bn so far.

What’s that amounting to, about 500m every 3.5 days since the response to Covid began?

Scary **** indeed to incinerate that amount

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Growing deficits arent necessarily that bad, as they're a critical component of the money supply, it's either grow the deficit or push the money supply out into the private sector, the more volatile of the two. Deficits only become a problem when an economy can no longer sustain them, which is rare, and public debt tends to be rolled over, indefinitely, without problems

Yeah intensive farming allows the thing to hyper evolve. All of those animals in close proximity means it can get through hosts a lot quicker, resulting in quicker and more genetic changes. Some of these are bound to be advantageous to it.

The press conference mentioned the strain lowered the ability of immune system to make antibodies. How did they know this? I don’t there was a study so maybe the saw something in the communities there.

Hopefully we have more info tomorrow

I hate to say it but at this stage Europe should be taking an Australian approach to this and closing borders to each other. Just for now, for the next few more months. Except for humanitarian reasons.
    If there's a new strain brewing and looks like there is, we really don't that travelling too. That could end up being a Covid20. Do we need covid19 and Covid20 travelling around together? The question remains if you had covid19, do you have antibodies to protect you for the future against future strains?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1105/1176049-coronavirus-nphet/

If fake news like this was spouted in America we would be screaming

Talking about percentage reductions in level 5 as if thesevreductiond were a result if level 5 restrictions not the level 3 plus.

This type of false reporting feeds the lockdowns are great ,Tony H is amazing narrative

I hope the article is edited to reflect this. Dirty tricks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I hate to say it but at this stage Europe should be taking an Australian approach to this and closing borders to each other. Just for now, for the next few more months. Except for humanitarian reasons.
    If there's a new strain brewing and looks like there is, we really don't that travelling too. That could end up being a Covid20. Do we need covid19 and Covid20 travelling around together? The question remains if you had covid19, do you have antibodies to protect you for the future against future strains?

12 cases all in Travel quarantine

531838.png

4500 arrivals per week is 650 per day...12 cases 1.8%.

Note: No travel quarantine in Melbourne...can’t be trusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

WTF are the British at? Holy **** a free for all in pubs etc just before lockdown.

Will mean they will have to lockdown for far longer with the spike from this.

What’s that amounting to, about 500m every 3.5 days since the response to Covid began?

Scary **** indeed to incinerate that amount

Drops in the ocean unfortunately. The amount allocated the pandemic emergency program s tiny compared to the other stimulus programs since 2014.

We never heard about them because they allowed institutions to buy up all of the assets with funny money. A lot of snouts in the trough then. I wish people were this vigilant in 2014.

Inflation is still low but may not be in years to come. The pandemic money is pittens to what's going on else where in the name of 2% inflation.

Accounts don't like this because business go bust, European central banks don't. Either way should be used as a reason to let it rip.

531839.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Population of Europe 741.4 million

Population of Australia 25.5 million

Big difference, not to mention numerous borders, governments and language/social barriers.

Don’t think it’s possible.

Drops in the ocean unfortunately. The amount allocated the pandemic emergency program s tiny compared to the other stimulus programs since 2014.

We never heard about them because they allowed institutions to buy up all of the assets with funny money. A lot of snouts in the trough then. I wish people were this vigilant in 2014.

Inflation is still low but may not be in years to come. The pandemic money is pittens to what's going on else where in the name of 2% inflation.

Accounts don't like this because business go bust, European central banks don't. Either way should be used as a reason to let it rip.

531839.jpeg

Burning €500m worth of mink is likely a token gesture so. Nothing to be worried about.

Money is neither real or relevant.

• Advertisement

sideswipe wrote: »
    Population of Europe 741.4 million

Population of Australia 25.5 million

Big difference, not to mention numerous borders, governments and language/social barriers.

Don’t think it’s possible.

I’ve no idea how to post pictures here but this link gives a size comparison.

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/385550418091273553/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement