Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Remember when the Syrian war was all we knew??

It's still ongoing yet we hear nothing about it since covid.

Strange times.

? More or less has settled down since Al Assad has gained back control of lots of the country and ISIS almost obliterated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's entertaining watching men-children bawling crying on the Hunting/Shooting forums that they can't go out and hunt beyond 5k of their homes, as if they're somehow exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It's entertaining watching men-children bawling crying on the Hunting/Shooting forums that they can't go out and hunt beyond 5k of their homes, as if they're somehow exempt.

theres nothing stopping them

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

It's entertaining watching men-children bawling crying on the Hunting/Shooting forums that they can't go out and hunt beyond 5k of their homes, as if they're someone exempt.

I don’t hunt. But I’ll say this about you and your comment.......

‘First they came for the hunters but I don’t hunt so I said nothing....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

That’s not what’s wrong.

The season is suspended so it’s a blanket ban regardless of distance.

Not every one has spent all their lives indoors stuck to a TV or a computer screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

3xh wrote: »

I think 'they' came for us all already (earlier for some), soon it's been 2 months since I've been allowed to leave the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

3xh wrote: »

Haha. You're one of these "living in a police state" people. You wouldn't know what living in a real police state is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Haha. You're one of these "living in a police state" people. You wouldn't know what living in a real police state is.

And you wouldn't think you're living in one until its already too late.

Not that we are, but there are legitimate government overreach concerns that are just dismissed because the people leading the questioning are utterly nuts.

My growth estimate of 0.71 is at the lower end of that relayed by Donnelly yesterday of 0.7 to 0.9, however if he was using the data from 2 days ago it was bang in the middle at 0.80.

531846.JPG

531848.JPG
    Going to drop Cavan from the chart once it reverts to the mean in the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

mandrake04 wrote: »
    12 cases all in Travel quarantine

4500 arrivals per week is 650 per day...12 cases 1.8%.

Note: No travel quarantine in Melbourne...can’t be trusted.

Well done Australia... not allowing potential virus spread to even start.

Look at the size of their second wave in Victoria... practically all due to illicit sex between a guard and a guest at a quarantine hotel.

image.jpg

This virus can spread like wildfire if it is allowed in and confining the locals (to within 5km) instead of quarantining the visitors is crazy.

Yet we still allow visitors from Covid hot spots all over the world to roam far and wide around the country, on a promise that they will behave.

Have we learned nothing from the experience of other countries ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Travel into Ireland down a lot since level 5

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40076363.html

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Growing deficits arent necessarily that bad, as they're a critical component of the money supply, it's either grow the deficit or push the money supply out into the private sector, the more volatile of the two. Deficits only become a problem when an economy can no longer sustain them, which is rare, and public debt tends to be rolled over, indefinitely, without problems

You are saying we can borrow as much money as we want forever, hilarious. What happens when interest rates rise? Even if the ECB just went to a positive rate of 0.25%, what are the servicing costs @ 1.25%?

OwenM wrote: »
    You are saying we can borrow as much money as we want forever, hilarious. What happens when interest rates rise? Even if the ECB just went to a positive rate of 0.25%, what are the servicing costs @ 1.25%?

Its not hilarious, in Macro-Economics-101.

If interest rates are rising, one of two things are happening - strong economic growth improving ability to pay, or inflation reducing the burden in real terms

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Its not hilarious, in Macro-Economics-101.

If interest rates are rising, one of two things are happening - strong economic growth improving ability to pay, or inflation reducing the burden in real terms

The ECB will raise their rates when the time comes, but there is no guarantee that Ireland will be experiencing any economic growth then, the Irish economy won't even be an afterthought.

The ECB will raise their rates when the time comes, but there is no guarantee that Ireland will be experiencing any economic growth then, the Irish economy won't even be an afterthought.

Any economic recovery will have Ireland at the front, not trailing, due to the nature of our economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The outlook seems to be that the economic austerity related to to the measures implemented will essentially have no effect on Ireland.

It’s frustrating to hear such an argument to be honest, it’s a remedial one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Donnelly: "Minimum additional restrictions" after Ireland leaves Level 5

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/donnelly-minimum-additional-restrictions-after-ireland-leaves-level-5-1029853.html

Hmmm will have to wait and see but I bet the 'minimum' will be a lot unfortunately

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Donnelly: "Minimum additional restrictions" after Ireland leaves Level 5

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/donnelly-minimum-additional-restrictions-after-ireland-leaves-level-5-1029853.html

Hmmm will have to wait and see but I bet the 'minimum' will be a lot unfortunately

I bet its going 5o be level 2+ or level 3.

A lot yes but compared to level 5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I think the following would occur
    • The euro economies would collapse
    • Lead to the destruction of the Euro
    • The European Union would disintegrate

Incidentally this is why they turned on the printing press in 2012 and said whatever it takes. We are no longer in our own little life boat we are on the same ship as Germany and the rest monetarily. If we go down, they go down. Unless you are suggesting it's a debt trap to destroy the eurozone?

I know we would never leave the EU but Italy would be the first out the door. They blame the EU and euro for the collapse of their manufacturing economy.

I think pretending that there is no pandemic or virus in the name of servicing our national debt right now is an attempt at scaremongering people with the 2008/2009 scars. Situation has changed. It's been refuted with facts on multiple occasions here.

We are getting paid to borrow now. Welcome to negative interest rates. Destroys that particular argument.
    The triple bond auction of 7-year, 10-year and 15-year paper were sold at yields of minus 0.4 per cent , minus 0.19 per cent and plus 0.05 per cent .
    This means that in most cases buyers are paying the Government for the privilege of lending, a reflection of the European Central Bank’s massive bond-buying programme.
    The 0.4 per cent rate attached to the 7-year bonds was the lowest ever yield at which an Irish Government bond was sold in an auction, eclipsing the minus 0.2 per cent rate hit at a previous auction in July.
    The funds will help finance the Government’s response to the coronavirus crisis, which is expected to result in a budget deficit of €25 billion this year.

The ultra low yields on Irish debt caps a remarkable turnaround for the NTMA and Irish bond markets, which saw yields soar above 14 per cent during the height of the sovereign debt crisis less than a decade ago.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/cost-of-govermment-borrowing-hits-record-low-of-0-4-1.4375624

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Will all be for nothing?

How many other countries have minks?

Will they do the same?

We have three big ones in Kerry Donegal and Laois

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I think the following would occur
    • The euro economies would collapse
    • Lead to the destruction of the Euro
    • The European Union would disintegrate

Incidentally this is why they turned on the printing press in 2012 and said whatever it takes. We are no longer in our own little life boat we are on the same ship as Germany and the rest monetarily. If we go down, they go down. Unless you are suggesting it's a debt trap to destroy the eurozone?

I know we would never leave the EU but Italy would be the first out the door. They blame the EU and euro for the collapse of their manufacturing economy.

I think pretending that there is no pandemic or virus in the name of servicing our national debt right now is an attempt at scaremongering people with the 2008/2009 scars. Situation has changed. It's been refuted with facts on multiple occasions here.

We are getting paid to borrow now. Welcome to negative interest rates. Destroys that particular argument.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/cost-of-govermment-borrowing-hits-record-low-of-0-4-1.4375624

Why is our country still a shambles if we can borrow so easily . Why not sort healthcare,housing and public transport in one big swoop . Money and borrowing isn't an issue .

Why do we still pay USC?

Stupid questions i know. I just dont understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Second video here is very good. Mentions the false debate. Good analogy of a plane with engine trouble and everyone having an opinion on what to do. In reality the engineer or Pilot would just take action. When will we start listening to infectious disease experts.

First tweet about ICU in UK increasing.

https://twitter.com/GMB/status/1324272948820267008?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

Polar101 wrote: »
    I think 'they' came for us all already (earlier for some), soon it's been 2 months since I've been allowed to leave the county.

The county? Are you in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Second video here is very good. Mentions the false debate. Good analogy of a plane with engine trouble and everyone having an opinion on what to do. In reality the engineer or Pilot would just take action. When will we start listening to infectious disease experts.

First tweet about ICU in UK increasing.

https://twitter.com/GMB/status/1324272948820267008?s=20

Not relatable at all . A plane with engine trouble being fixed doesn't have huge ramifications to millions of other peoples lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Not relatable at all . A plane with engine trouble being fixed doesn't have huge ramifications to millions of other peoples lives.

What if the plane's trajectory meant it was going to crash into a very large nursing home?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Why is our country still a shambles if we can borrow so easily . Why not sort healthcare,housing and public transport in one big swoop . Money and borrowing isn't an issue .

Why do we still pay USC?

...because we re still obsessed with deficits, and reducing them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

What if the plane's trajectory meant it was going to crash into a very large nursing home?

Evacuate the nursing home.

Why do we still pay USC?

Its not a shambles. Its by no means perfect and we could do many things a lot better, but is in the top 20 countries in the world to live in on any metric.

One of the reasons for some of the difference between here and other countries is that we pay less tax not more

https://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?DataSetCode=CTS_ETR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Evacuate the nursing home.

Radio in the plane is broken. Aircraft controllers are having a quickie in the janitors closet.

For some reason theres a nuke on board and it'll go off when it reaches the ground

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Radio in the plane is broken. Aircraft controllers are having a quickie in the janitors closet.

Collateral damage so. You should be a script writer for disaster movies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement